Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Skimcoating over old wallpaper?

Quote Originally Posted by topcoatfinishes View Post
    With all due respect, you guys are making this more complicated than it needs to be.
    Not always - if they are saying this Fiba-fuse can be used over wall paper - I am listening.

I have found several paper jobs impossible to strip. Usually b/c the hanger did not prime the rock originally or there are multiple layers of paper, some baths have been problematic as well... UGH.

So does the Fiba fuse work directly over wall paper?
    “Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.”
    Abraham J. Heschel (Jewish theologian and philosopher, 1907-1972)

Hey Scott-

With all due respect...why don't you read what was already mentioned?

Zinnser Gardz is designed to seal (not allowing moisture from mud to penatrate) wall-paper for skimming and or painting, I've done it and it was sucessful. Used ES90 for first coat and polished it with AP. Sure stripping is an option but not for all. We all know the complications involved with doing an overlay as already mentioned however it should be done if the existing if the face paper is gone, unless you use a matting.

So what was part that we were complicating?
    "cheap labor pays for expensive headaches"

Dave,

Fiba-Fuse is the drywall tape, Fiba Fuse Wall Reinforcement (FFWR) is the 36" wide product. In the sitiation your mentioning with unprimed drywall under wall paper, I'd suggest using Gardz and then apply the FFWR to the walls then apply a tight skim. Since FFWR is not on the market yet, I just got a sample roll this past Thursday I have not had the pleasure of trying out yet.

I hate stripping the crap. If it comes off easy it is still more than I want to do. I run knifes for a living not a steamer or perforator for wall paper. I tell the people strip it & I will deal with it. It is complicated, if it was easy everyone would be doing it. Peace, muddy (ed)

www.themudmasters.com
    cherish yesterday-dream tomorrow-live today

Quote Originally Posted by Mike from NH View Post
    Hey Scott-

With all due respect...why don't you read what was already mentioned?

Zinnser Gardz is designed to seal (not allowing moisture from mud to penatrate) wall-paper for skimming and or painting, I've done it and it was sucessful. Used ES90 for first coat and polished it with AP. Sure stripping is an option but not for all. We all know the complications involved with doing an overlay as already mentioned however it should be done if the existing if the face paper is gone, unless you use a matting.

So what was part that we were complicating?
    Mike

No need to get snipey.

Having done a pile of strips and level 5 resurfacing, I havent seen the need for the fiba fuse step. I'm sure there are situations where that would be a dynamite step to take.

My mistake...
    Last edited by topcoatfinishes; 08-15-2009 at 12:00 PM.

Scott,

I simply asked you a legimate question which you failed to answer. My guess is that you don't know what your taking about. I'm not being snipey, so loose the skirt princess. I would suggest backing up your comments next time you say we're all complicating things. Since we (and I) are pros, take your own advice and leave the advice to the pros...since after all your're just a painter...with a college educated staff.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike from NH View Post
    Scott,

I simply asked you a legimate question which you failed to answer. My guess is that you don't know what your taking about. I'm not being snipey, so loose the skirt princess. I would suggest backing up your comments next time you say we're all complicating things. Since we (and I) are pros, take your own advice and leave the advice to the pros...since after all your're just a painter...with a college educated staff.....
    Haha...ok Mike, its all yours!

Mike - What product is the 36" fabric ? I couldn't pick it up on this link ?
    You say its not out on the retail market yet ?
    http://sgtf.com/Home/Products/Brands/FibaFuse/

When using overlap or butt the edges ?
    Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

http://youtu.be/KZ_7br_3y54

Fiba Fuse Restoration Fabric and Nu-Wal appears to be very similar. FF is not on the market I obtained a sample roll from the R&D dept. from St. Gobain. NW is available, I just accuried a sample roll as well. I would say butt the edges, embed, strike the butt edges, wait till dry they skim over everything.

On a side note, I used the NW for a patch. Cut the drywall to fit the whole and embeded a sheet of NW about 3" wider than the patch. Skimmed 2x and done. Came out great!
    Last edited by Mike from NH; 09-02-2009 at 09:04 AM.

You guys are funny as hell.

Anyway I have used gaurdz on many occasions its a fantastic product. Peel the paper seal the board up with gaurdz and skim over it. Even if the core is showing you will not have a problem. If need be after the gaurdz is dried you can go over it with an oil primer before you start mud work. Think of it as a finish plaster coat.

Like others, it depends on the size of the damaged area if I tackle as a skim-job or area replacement-- either way you'll be dealing with mudwork. If it's relatively small, less than a 12" x 12" area, I usually opt to repair the damaged area--- prime exposed paper and damage to the board, cover with fiber tape (I don't even knock down the primer since I have to spread over a larger area with mud anyway; overlap the tape), and have at it with mud. If you're adept at mudwork, then opt for some Easy Sand to be finished sooner than bucket mud. Bucket mud definitely doesn't adhere/evaporate as well as Easy Sand, which may be causing your bubbling effect.

If you have to replace the area in question, just remember that you'll still have to feather out any joints.

I have had success with going right over some torn paper (small areas and not through to base) using Easy Sand 5, usually available in any quality paint store. Dries so quickly that it doesn't have time to soak the paper.

-Joe

When I strip off old wallpaper, I just get what comes easy and then paint on one coat of Cover Stain, which is an oil-base primer from Zinnser. I get it at the paint store, or Lowe's carries it ( I can't believe we can still get oil-based anything in California, but I'm told the days are numbered). After the primer dries, I skim coat with drywall mud and then texture, with no problems.

I am encountering this exact same scenario, except my base substrate is lath / plaster . I have removed wallpaper where it was coming up and skim coated edges, I had then used Kilz latex primer , suddenly in one particular room the Kilz had acted like a lifting agent to any and all wallpaper I thought was sound ! I will check out the Zinser sealer . Thank you for the input.

You want to avoid a latex water based primer as the water in it will cause the glue in the wall paper to soften and bubble. Oil or shellac based primers will seal the paper so the water in the skim coat will not cause the paper to bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by Kgphoto View Post
    You want to avoid a latex water based primer as the water in it will cause the glue in the wall paper to soften and bubble. Oil or shellac based primers will seal the paper so the water in the skim coat will not cause the paper to bubble.
    Yeah?? where did read that one????
    Capt-Sheetrock---Drywall Master of the Universe
    Craig D