Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Kudos to Andersen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kudos to Andersen

Sure

The old ones were crap

Some of their new ones look very promising. Make sure you properly detail the install. Can you remove enough from around the perimeter to get a good weather tape around it?
    What are you doing for drainage at the bottom. What is the trim detail at the perimeter?
    Mark Parlee
    BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
    EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
    EDI Seminar Instructor
    Level one thermographer (Snell)
    www.thebuildingconsultant.com
    You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

We really ought to start a new thread dedicated to the installation of windows and the crap we have seen and how we are changing things so it does not repeat.
      Mark Parlee
      EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
      EDI Seminar Instructor
      You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

good idea - done
        rP

Comment

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=48881

We are moving this discussion about window install details here
          Mark Parlee
          EDI Seminar Instructor

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of any clad window but the ones I used on the pictured job are all fixed units on the gable wall. the cladding looks continuous. In the days of EIFS removal , I saw many failures from ganged units and usually we pulled the mulling strip and reset in a bed of silicone. The other thread is so off topic, guess that didn't really work Mark.

Comment

Andrew
              I know it did but I generally think that is going to happen to some extent as it does in regular conversation. I kind of didn't want to distract from your so I thought we start a new one but we can keep discussing various ideas here.
              As I was saying I am seeing this problem of the mull draining, actually not a problem it's just that we dam it up when we wrap the windows with trim much in the same way that it happened with the EIFS. Now we are stsrting this thing all over again with the stuccoflex style siding treatments.
              Mark Parlee
              EDI Seminar Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by Mark
                stuccoflex style siding treatments.
                Mark:

What the Hell is that? Not another EIFS, wood flake, or fibercement product?
                "The only communists left in the world are in American Universities."

--Mikhail Gorbachev

Comment

http://www.stuccoflex.com/

There are a lot of EIFS jobs that are done in a MD (moisture drain) type of application that are performing very well. This really is a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
                  Mark Parlee
                  EDI Seminar Instructor

Comment

Good God Mark, that's elastomeric paint, I've handled dozens of cases, many of the homes were basically destroyed with elastomeric paint. For years the EPA wouldn't allow us to sandblast it off, now they are with copper-slag, I've repeatedly posted pictures of my sandblasting it off a church, it can cost well over $100,000 to sandblast it off the average home, it goes really slow with the approved copper-slag.

Okay, they say: "Stuc-O-Flex is a breathable membrane- 10 -14 perms average (H2O vapor transmission) " is anyone going to believe that after all the elastomeric failures? I've seen horrible mold and mildew buildups in homes, particularly the homes of minorities becasue the crap was sold by high-pressure salesmen who target minorities.

It's interesting how all the failed crap keeps coming back at us in a new generation, it's also interesting that people keep falling for the scams, contractors included, asbestos cement came back as fibercement, hardboard siding has come back in several iterations, flakeboard siding keeps coming back class actions and all, now elastomeric paint is coming back, the siren's song is always "cheaper" and "new", or "new and improved technology", I don't believe that it's going to breathe any better than previous iterations, anybody using it deserves to get sued right out of business. Wake up, the material suppliers are the contractors biggest enemies, they keep flooding the industry with crap, because contractors are gullible and keep falling for the sales pitches and buying it. Look at the crap! (5 second delay) I know, this is new and improved, we made it breathe now, just trust us. You want stucco, install three-coat stucco and pay for it, there just ain't no free lunch in construction or life.

BTW, their drainage mats look okay, I didn't spend much time on them when I saw the elastomeric paint, and it's even bedtime on the west coast now, why did you have to end my day with elastomeric paint? You know how that stuff upsets me.
                    "The only communists left in the world are in American Universities."

--Mikhail Gorbachev

Comment

Dick

when this is used the backer board is put over a drainable system
                      take a look at this
                      http://www.lpcorp.com/sidingtrim/lps...ccosystem.aspx
                      They don't specify adding the drain plane but I would not do it without it.
                      Mark Parlee
                      EDI Seminar Instructor

Comment

Working...
                      X