Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: elevated concrete deck

Quote Originally Posted by DWeckler View Post
    2 more. Anyone interested.
    Beautiful work. i love it!

I've used p.lam for a glass like finish before. Same deal, 1 cycle and throw it away.

That job you did turned out really nice.
    Last edited by dave_k; 07-18-2009 at 07:56 AM.

The stairs are poured in place. There are 4 steel posts in the surrounding walls and we tied rebar beams across them. The form work is much the same as a wood set of spiral stairs. 2 sets of walls, joists and decking then alot of bracing. I will try to post some scans of the form work tomorrow.Thanks for the complement.

I would build this without a wood structure.Is it legal to support masonry off of a wood structure in your area?I have always poured concrete columns (8"x8") for support, but have seen steel posts used before.Why would you use a material that will rot to support such a load? If you are unsure, a local welding shop can form it with pans.

Pic of finished stairs.Only one I have.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by DWeckler View Post
    I would build this without a wood structure.Is it legal to support masonry off of a wood structure in your area?I have always poured concrete columns (8"x8") for support, but have seen steel posts used before.Why would you use a material that will rot to support such a load? If you are unsure, a local welding shop can form it with pans.
    There are 2 ways of handling an elevated concrete slab. Either you build a suspended slab which is a self supporting structure or a composite slab where the formwork is part of the structure. I've never heard of anyone building a composite slab with a plywood deck but that doesn't mean they don't do it in other locals. The reason I recommended Hambro or similar systems is because all the company does are composite slabs mostly in residential and light commercial applications.

I've built suspended slabs, composite decks off a steel structure with OWSJ's and q deck and hambro and hambro is the easiest to work with, design through construction. I have never paid for a hambro deck so I can't comment on the cost as compared to other methods.

If it was my own house, all things being equal, I would build a suspended slab. The reason being I'm very familiar with the construction methods and I could reuse the formwork. The cost would probably be greater for a suspended slab over a system like hambro or even a wood joist system using Q deck because the steel truss joists and decking allow for a thiner slab and minimize reinforcing steel to probably just wire mesh.