Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Recommend a gas pressure washer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a gas pressure washer

I need one for work and home. From what I've read 3000 psi will do what I need and 5gpm would be correct. Anyone have one they are happy with for less than 900.00 Hose storage is important and being able to lift it on to a pickup truck is important. I have little experience with these except borrowing them from friends.

Re: Recommend a gas pressure washer

Andrew,

I'd be surprised if you could find a 5 GPM pump for $900.

I have a 3400 psi, 4GPM 10HP Briggs and Stratton one. It has an Annovi Reverberi pump (made in Italy) and runs great.

I paid around $850 - $900 for it three years ago.

Remember to check your water supply for volume before using. Make sure you can fill a 5 gallon bucket from the hose in less than a minute as these are not suppost to suck or pump water.

Good luck.

Bob

Comment

Try pressurewashersdirect.com

I bought mine there and the site has a lot of info and very good pricing.
      Your source for:
      Decks • Deck Design • Porches • Railings • Pergolas in Bergen County New Jersey
      Remodeling and Home Improvements in Bergen County | EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor
      Techno Metal Post: Helical Foundation Piles in New Jersey
      Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Comment

Honda motors and Italian pumps are good starting points.
        "I'll bend over backwards to help anybody, but I ain't bending over forwards for nobody"

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Di View Post
          Try pressurewashersdirect.com

I bought mine there and the site has a lot of info and very good pricing.
          Reviving an old thread...

Greg, which one did you end up buying? Are you still happy with it?

How about you, Andrew? Which one did you settle on?
          Greg

Comment

I did not buy one. I borrowed a friends Honda which started first time and seemed reliable. Wish I had a better review for you.

Comment

What are you guys going to be washing with them? In our lead class we were told you cannot wash down a house with lead paint on it anymore. Reason is the lead dust and debris goes right into the soil and poisions the soil. Like it hasn't been running off the house and onto the ground for 80 years already.

I was getting ready to purchase one but now am not so sure. Also not sure how I am supposed to wash grime and dust off a house before painting. Every can of paint talks about the substrate being clean before you paint. Get up there with a bucket of water and a sponge?

Comment

Makes a lot of sense you can bulldoze one but cant wash one doesnt it?A giant crock of bull$hit

Comment

Originally posted by gburnet View Post
                  Reviving an old thread...

Greg, which one did you end up buying? Are you still happy with it?

How about you, Andrew? Which one did you settle on?
                  I bought a Karcher 3000 psi with the Honda GX engine on it. It runs like a champ and is very portable. I wouldn't say I use it a lot, maybe 15 times a year, and I'm happy with it.

I can't imagine needing anything bigger than this for casual use. I can wash a 400 SF deck and railings in 20 minutes easily.

The only downside is that, like Bob said, you need quite a bit of water pressure coming into the pump otherwise the pump starves. It'll work, you just get pressure drops and surges which is annoying.

They have one like it now, but it's a little different.

http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com...oducts_id=3218
                  Your source for:
                  Decks • Deck Design • Porches • Railings • Pergolas in Bergen County New Jersey
                  Remodeling and Home Improvements in Bergen County | EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor
                  Techno Metal Post: Helical Foundation Piles in New Jersey
                  Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by m beezo View Post
                    What are you guys going to be washing with them? In our lead class we were told you cannot wash down a house with lead paint on it anymore. Reason is the lead dust and debris goes right into the soil and poisions the soil. Like it hasn't been running off the house and onto the ground for 80 years already.
                    Not going near that stuff, Mark. I'm looking to do decks, patios, our trucks & trailers, etc.
                    Greg

Comment

Not going near that stuff, Mark. I'm looking to do decks, patios, our trucks & trailers, etc.
                      What are you going to do about your window business? Not going to give that up are you?

You better not wash that new old truck you got-probably has lead base paint on it!

Comment

What are you going to do about your window business? Not going to give that up are you?
                        Wanna buy it?
                        Greg

Comment

Wanna buy it?
                          The commute would kill me.

Comment

Just purchased a .....troy bilt.

http://www.troybilt-gen-pw.com/press...id=Endeca.3376

Why? 3000 psi and 2.7gpm are the minimum I was looking for, but that's not the reason.

I was hired to do a bunch of decks on a shore home. There are 3 small decks on each of the 3 floors, overlooking the shore. Portability was my main concern. I have to lug this thing up 3 flights of stairs, I didn't want some behemoth of a PW that would rip up the muscles in my back.

@ 71 lbs, this thing is the most well balanced, and very affordable one I could find. It has on it two 1/2 gallon reservoir's for soap dispensing, 4 cycle (no mixing) and extra fittings for doing upper floors of buildings / soap dispensing for washing the truck.

I couldn't believe how easy this thing is to move around. Again, traveling through a finished home, and being able to pick it up with one hand was my main concern. Very well designed, and for a test shot, I picked a neighbor and gave her a free washing.

She has this heap of an old car that has cracked paint that retains dust in it's finish. I told her that I wanted to wash her car for her, and she said that it was ok, but I'd never get it clean. The power washer with the 40deg. fitting on the end, did the job. I tried cleaning it first with a scrub brush and chemicals, but found no real results from doing so (as a control point)

Still doesn't have any real finish, but it's white again ! BTW, it rips off pin striping and emblems, no problem !

Nice unit, although I'd never buy anything less than 3000 psi. Wouldn't be worth the time. IMO, it's minimal to do any real cleaning, but perfect for my particular application. Plus, it's compact enough (the handle folds down) to store in my box truck, should I need it. Really good value @ $400

Anyone have any really old house, say pre '78 they'd like to have cleaned? I'm in the market to do some major polluting! (smile)
                            Attached Files
                            Chuck

Comment

You better not wash that new old truck you got-probably has lead base paint on it!
                              And the newer truck has those lead weights on the wheels...wash it while you still can.
                              "American political opportunities are heavily loaded against those who are simultaneously intelligent and honest" --Richard Dawkins

Comment

Working...
                              X