Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

drywall fasteners for pressure-treated lumber?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drywall fasteners for pressure-treated lumber?

Have had a number of situations calling for drywall to be fastened to pressure-treated lumber. Now, with the new more corrosive pt lumber, I'm more concerned about fasteners corroding in it.

The other day I used 1 1/4 galvanized exterior screws, but a few minutes ago I read a comment indicating that they have a little "nib" (as the commenter called it) on the back of the head that will tear the drywall paper. I didn't notice that; I'll have to go out to the van and look at my screws and see whether they have the "nib".

Any suggestions for fasteners (screws and/or nails) that won't corrode in pt lumber?

Re: drywall fasteners for pressure-treated lumber?

I would use Deckmate's, as they are coated screw and acceptable for underwater use I believe. In otherwords more than suitable for drywall into pt.
    "cheap labor pays for expensive headaches"

Comment

What are the situations ? There was a thread awhile back about greater use of pt in a house / addition.

Clearly there is significantly more potential for warping, twisting and just spitting out the fasteners regardless of the type.

Also covered was use of dw fasteners on pt furring strips. Hopefully the pt is mostly dry or closed up last. Use construction adhesive and a few screws. Then come back and remove the screws. No corrosion. You can also screw through 1x surface strips if think it will work better. Then remove later.
      Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5ZtBpgBQE

Comment

Not to mention the failure of drywall screws in the PT. They are not ACQ approved as far as I know. Are there ACQ drywall screws available at all? Up her ei the great white north I haven't seen any.

Comment

Happy Home - the situation is areas below BFE (base flood elevation). I'm in coastal Georgia. Many homes are in areas designated as flood zones and any framing lumber below the BFE has to be pressure-treated. According to code, no drywall is allowed in such areas (like garages below the BFE), but it's commonly installed in such areas.

Comment

Ok so the lumber is PT and the screws are exterior type, so what types are insulation and drywall?
            "cheap labor pays for expensive headaches"

Comment

The corrosion problems with ACQ are caused by galvanic reactions between dissimilar metals, which occur when moisture is present. The typical exterior applications for using PT lumber usually have moisture present due to rain, etc., which creates the reaction you're concerned about. In a situation like yours, the amount of moisture present should be much lower, and the corrosion problem lessened. If there's enough moisture there to cause corrosion, you've got bigger issues to be concerned with, like mold eating the drywall.

Comment

If you also glue on the rock, what's the worst than can happen.
                SteveC
                The improbable takes time, the impossible takes a little longer.

Comment

cant you use ceramic coated deck screws?
                  http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=ceram...fp=Q5rYJf3FIq4
                  Al Smith

Comment

Working...
                  X