Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Hardie shingle siding cost. Why so high?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardie shingle siding cost. Why so high?

James Hardie makes FC shingle siding as 4' width panels, and also as individual shingles. The panels are 16" high, and exposure is 7".

That 16-to-7 factor means you buy 2.28 actual s.f. of product to cover one finished s.f. of wall. Contrast that with their clap siding product for 6" exposure, with its 7-1/4" height, the factor being only 1.21.

On top of the factor thing, the pricing of the shingle product is astronomical as compared to the clap.

What is going on here? The manufacturing process, with parts pressed in a textured mold, has got to be similar, if not almost identical. Thickness is about the same, so you would think that the cost factor per net finished s.f. should be around 2.28/1.21, or 1.88. It's a whole lot more.

Why? Who can afford it?

Re: Hardie shingle siding cost. Why so high?

I think it is manufactured in 16" pieces (height) to give the narrow shingles enough strength to stay on in wind.
    “Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.”
    Abraham J. Heschel (Jewish theologian and philosopher, 1907-1972)

Comment

Can you still get the shakes in singular form? Thats what I used on the Olympic Canoe and Kayak club on Lake Clear. I think it was the first Hardi job in Lake Placid, NY.
      Attached Files
      Jason E. Whipple
      Historic House Restoration
      Cincinnati, Ohio
      http://www.facebook.com/RestoreOhio

Comment

They have always been this high. I've never seen an individual shingle except here.

I just tell the customer right off the bat, 2.5 x the price of regular lap.
        My forum signature

Comment

Hardie in my area just took a 15% price hike for the lap and they are changing the formulation of the product for the north area as well as the profile and the warranty.

bbjhhss
          Mark Parlee
          BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
          EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
          EDI Seminar Instructor
          Level one thermographer (Snell)
          www.thebuildingconsultant.com
          You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Personally, I'm losing interest in concrete siding and going back to wood. People who want concrete siding seem to think they don't have to take care of it after install.

The fact is, nothing is maintenance free; wood, concrete, and even vinyl.

I've seen a lot of 100 year old wood still hanging, but not the rest.
            Jason E. Whipple
            Historic House Restoration
            Cincinnati, Ohio
            http://www.facebook.com/RestoreOhio

Comment

great point Jason the older i get the more the natural sidings appeal to me,i think there was an article in jlc awhile back about a guy who made his own shingles out of hardie planks.
              Make a few sq. like that and you will probably be ''happy'' to just buy them
              Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tom struble View Post
                great point Jason the older i get the more the natural sidings appeal to me,i think there was an article in jlc awhile back about a guy who made his own shingles out of hardie planks.
                Make a few sq. like that and you will probably be ''happy'' to just buy them
                April 2008, Page 67

Comment

Originally posted by No faux zone View Post
                  Personally, I'm losing interest in concrete siding and going back to wood. People who want concrete siding seem to think they don't have to take care of it after install.

The fact is, nothing is maintenance free; wood, concrete, and even vinyl.

I've seen a lot of 100 year old wood still hanging, but not the rest.
                  Jason

The product is not concrete but rather fiber cement. I often hear it referred to as concrete siding and I correct this when it comes up. The manufacturer probably loves this because it really makes the material seem tough when in reality it is a product that requires attention be paid to the details in which it is applied otherwise it will never make its fifty years as the warranty implies.. This product enjoys very powerful marketing and has taken on a life of its own as architects and designers blindly specify its use for all sorts of projects.
                  I believe as time goes on the love affair with this product will see an end and the reality of its frailness will start to come to light. I am seeing more and more problems albeit installation details but problems nonetheless.
                  I am sure we will discuss further.
                  There are other products that are starting to show that seem a little more friendly.

BBJHHSS ??
                  Mark Parlee
                  EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
                  EDI Seminar Instructor
                  You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Are you thinking engineered wood Mark?
                    Tom

Comment

FWIW, I priced some vinyl shake siding and it was about 3X the cost of regular vinyl. Maybe they charge more because they think they can.

I spoke with a Hardi rep. at a builder's show the other day and he said that they have recently changed their formulation.

This product looks like it might be a good alternative (more $ though):

http://www.microposite.com/index.html

- Rich

Comment

Originally posted by tom struble View Post
                        Are you thinking engineered wood Mark?
                        I am researching my options and have made some preliminary decisions but still heavy into research

BBJHHSS
                        Mark Parlee
                        EDI Seminar Instructor

Comment

it seems most man made sidings have a designed lifespan to coincide with the lifespan of asphalt roofing
                          Need a new roof? its probably time to reside too,no matter what the ''lifetime'' warranty says
                          Tom

Comment

Working...
                          X