Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Blower Door/Energy Audit Training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blower Door/Energy Audit Training

Do you guys know of any online/correspondence training for energy auditing? I need to find something that would give me AIA learning credits and that I can read on a plane as I am doing a lot of traveling. I am taking the HERs course this month and want to start providing this service probably more for the commercial markets. Thanks.
    When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Re: Blower Door/Energy Audit Training

You can go through this list:

http://www.resnet.us/programs/training/directory.aspx

and see if anyone else has gotten their online courses up & running, yet. Last time I looked, there were a few of them planning on it ("coming soon"), but only these guys:

http://srmi.biz/bpt/course/category.php?id=3

had it up & running.
    Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Comment

Saturn's stuff linked above by Frenchie is fantastic.
      Tthe book Residential Energy is the gold standard overview of the field, and their ringbound field books are also fantastic.
      For AIA credit, can't you submit anything you can verify you studied for some credits?
      Doug

Favorite tool this week: Makita double-battery "worm drive" framing saw
      http://www.jlconline.com/author/doug-horgan

www.bowa.com

Comment

Originally posted by ThingOfBeauty View Post
        Saturn's stuff linked above by Frenchie is fantastic.
        Tthe book Residential Energy is the gold standard overview of the field, and their ringbound field books are also fantastic.
        For AIA credit, can't you submit anything you can verify you studied for some credits?
        I saw the Saturn stuff, it looks very good. I read Residential Energy and was very impressed. I'd like to find more stuff on multifamily.

The AIA credits let you submit a lot of stuff you do on your own but they are getting stricter and I have to do a number of hours specifically in HSW (Heath Safety and Welfare) pre-approved courses that I hope to find in something such as this that I am studying about anyway.

I used to give seminars on building envelops when I was at a firm and I would sign myself up for my own credits, it was the best deal going. Then they sent me a not so kind letter. Those people in Washington have no sense of humor.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I'm the developer and admin (amongst other duties) at Saturn Online. Our courses have been approved by RESNET and BPI for continuing ed credit. AIA might be in order.
          We have a course which just began on Friday 4/3. If you have any questions, let me know.
          Darrel Tenter
          Administrator, Developer, Trainer
          Saturn Resource Management

"Training and Publications for the Building Science Professional"
          http://SaturnOnline.biz
          http://srmi.biz

Comment

Thanks Darrel,

I might buy some of your manuals, they look very good, Residential Energy was a great read.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Its not for AIA credits but I will put it out there, the company I work for also offers training. The focus is building science and BPI certification, some of it will be online.

http://www.evergreenbuildingscience.com/

Comment

Originally posted by newleaf View Post
                Its not for AIA credits but I will put it out there, the company I work for also offers training. The focus is building science and BPI certification, some of it will be online.

http://www.evergreenbuildingscience.com/
                Thanks for the info, I am looking for any good reading, AIA credits would just be a bonus

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Ted

If I am an individual member of the AIA, do I also get credits for AIA continuing education courses?

[correction edit] Allied Membership
                  Last edited by Mark Parlee; 04-07-2009, 07:08 PM.
                  Mark Parlee
                  BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
                  EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
                  EDI Seminar Instructor
                  Level one thermographer (Snell)
                  www.thebuildingconsultant.com
                  You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Parlee View Post
                    Ted

If I am an individual member of the AIA, do I also get credits for AIA continuing education courses?

[correction edit] Allied Membership
                    I don't think you need them. You need 18 hours to maintain and architects license, I don't think you need any for an associate membership.

Sad to say this, but I get nothing from being a member. I pay $800 a year to put the initials next to my name for nothing other than giving the client some assurance.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I am wondering about the initials next to my name deal for court testimony and marketing to others.
                      I am getting the moisture measurement from the EDI
                      Mark Parlee
                      EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
                      EDI Seminar Instructor
                      You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Parlee View Post
                        I am wondering about the initials next to my name deal for court testimony and marketing to others.
                        I am getting the moisture measurement from the EDI
                        The EDI program is very good, I used to write mandatory monitoring by EDI inspector into EIFS specs- possible good money there, you could help write EIFS specs for architects then monitor the install if there is no conflict of interest.

I used to work with a bunch of RRC's (Register Roof Consultants) which is a good credential and well respected also.

From their web site:

www.rci-online.org

The Professional Registrations of Registered Roof Consultant (RRC), Registered Waterproofing Consultant (RWC) and Registered Roof Observer (RRO) distinguish professionals with the proven standards of education, experience and ethics.

The RWC might be a good one too. You might get some commercial work with it.

I am afraid if you put the AIA next to your name, they will expect you to be an architect. But you can put it on your marketing brochure, that you are an associate member of the AIA.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks

Feel free to email me directly with any advice that comes to mind.
                          Today I started on thirty town home units that have very poor WRB detailing and vinyl siding; a recipe for problems.
                          Mark Parlee
                          EDI Seminar Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by Ted S. View Post
                            Do you guys know of any online/correspondence training for energy auditing? I need to find something that would give me AIA learning credits and that I can read on a plane as I am doing a lot of traveling. I am taking the HERs course this month and want to start providing this service probably more for the commercial markets. Thanks.
                            Ted

You might want to accelerate those courses, there is $5 billion in work available for contractors. 40% of $5 billion equals $2 billion available for contractor's profit.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/...ion/index.html
                            ============================================

[url=http://twitter.com/Allan_Edwards]Twitter[/url]

[url=http://houzz.com/pro/allan]Houzz[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Allan Edwards View Post
                              Ted

You might want to accelerate those courses, there is $5 billion in work available for contractors. 40% of $5 billion equals $2 billion available for contractor's profit.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/...ion/index.html
                              That's exactly why I am doing it, I'll be the first to admit I am a bottom feeder.

Anyone taking the course next week in Springfield? I will be there.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X