Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Exterior Window Trim for Brick Home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior Window Trim for Brick Home

I'm trying to decide what type of trim to use around the exterior of the windows of the house I'm building.

Obviously, it needs to be a durable exterior trim product because we are in a hot humid climate.

The windows are Pella Impervia (Fiberglass) and the siding is brick veneer.

I had thought about Azek but am somewhat concerned about movement.

Any product suggestions?

Any detailing recommendations?
    Joe Adams
    Deep Creek Builders, Inc.
    Houston, Texas

Re: Exterior Window Trim for Brick Home

Joe

What type of siding is going on
    Mark Parlee
    BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
    EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
    EDI Seminar Instructor
    Level one thermographer (Snell)
    www.thebuildingconsultant.com
    You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Mark,

It's a pretty standard one-story brick home. The siding will be Acme Brick.
      Joe Adams
      Houston, Texas

Comment

Deepcreek, Azek does have some premoulded trim shapes available now. They have a better surface than if you have something run through a moulder. I don't think movement should be a great concern if you are just trimming windows, the size of the trim should be too small to be significantly affected.

What style is the house? Trim style should be governed by house style. The other possibility would be to use the moulded shapes available for EIFS.
        "ALS IK KAN" - Stickley

Comment

If you have any example pictures you could link, that would be helpful.

The Fypon that calvert mentioned may be an option.
          http://www.fypon.com/
          Mark Parlee
          EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
          EDI Seminar Instructor
          You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Around here, it would be typical to put brickmold around the window, then brick up to it. AZEK and the others make brickmold-shaped trim--you know, it's a 5/4 x 1-1/2" trim profile--in plastic.
            Unless you have windows over 8' you should be fine using plastic, and much better durability than wood.
            It is kind of small, depends on the look you're going for.
            Doug

Favorite tool this week: Makita double-battery "worm drive" framing saw
            http://www.jlconline.com/author/doug-horgan

www.bowa.com

Comment

Joe
              Most addition jobs I build are brick veneer. The windows in the existing house are usually wood double hungs that have been replaced with a vinyl replacement sash. I buy a wood window frame (withut sashes and balances)and install a replacement window in them to match. I pay around 35.00 for the frame. The frames can be upgraded for PVC brick mold and a never rot sill for a few extra bucks. I'm pretty sure the Impervia can be ordered without a nail fin and made to size to do this. I flash the sill of the window frame with a stapled on plastic to the back and sides of the wood sill and fold over the WRB. Quick, easy and looks good
              Last edited by Andrew R.; 03-07-2009, 08:47 PM.

Comment

I think a standard brickmold pattern would be fine. We're calling this house a "Texas Hill Country Ranch". My partner and I did all the design work and drew the plans. Here is a rendering and a work in progress photo.
                Attached Files
                Joe Adams
                Houston, Texas

Comment

I've read enough about linear movement in Azek to be concerned about the miters opening up. Perhaps this isn't an issue on shorter runs.

Most of the windows are 3'0"x5'0" or smaller. There are three big picture windows, the largest of which is 6'0"x4'0".

I'm not sure about the difference between Azek and Fypon. Are they the same material?

We've used Mahogany for exterior trim on high end homes but it galls me to spend that kind of money and then cover it with paint.

Here's what one of the windows looks like installed.
                  Attached Files
                  Joe Adams
                  Houston, Texas

Comment

Joe
                    Do you even need extra trim around the windows?
                    If it all brick do something in the design of the masonry.
                    Mark Parlee
                    EDI Seminar Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by calvert View Post
                      What style is the house? Trim style should be governed by house style. The other possibility would be to use the moulded shapes available for EIFS.
                      This would be my recommendation as well -- the product adheres flawlessly to brick and gives the impression of an extravagant concrete moulding, without the associated pain of having to cut out the window, and lug heavy concrete sills.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by stuccomoulding; 03-08-2009, 09:01 AM.
                      Dave
                      Exterior window sills/surrounds, crown moldings, columns, pilasters, quoins and keystones at www.decoramould.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Parlee View Post
                        Joe
                        Do you even need extra trim around the windows?
                        If it all brick do something in the design of the masonry.
                        I was thinking the same thing, there are plenty of options with masonry and you are maintenance free.

If cedar, cypress, azak or any other material is used to trim the windows it has to be painted. I am not a big fan of the trim color being far off from the clad color of the windows.

We have done Dryvit details around windows on masonry homes, and yes it is expensive.
                        -Dan

Comment

For minimal maintenance, I had originally planned to brick the windows in using no exterior trim. This is my first time using Pella's Impervia Fiberglass windows and I changed my mind when I realized how they are constructed.

Most of the windows are single hung meaning the top sash is fixed. Pella did this by putting screws through the exterior side and top edges of the frame into the top sash. Should anything happen to the insulated glazing, the only way to repair it is to back out these screws and remove the entire sash from the frame. There is no stop-molding like on a traditional wood or clad window.

I'm thinking that if I wrap them in 2" brickmold, the exterior trim can be removed to provide just enough room to back the screws out and remove the sash for repair. Yes, this would be a major PITA but it's better than the alternative.

I must admit that I am probably over-obsessing on the details of this particular house because I am building it for my Mom to retire in. It will have a lifetime warranty (her's) and someday I will own it.
                          Joe Adams
                          Houston, Texas

Comment

Deepcreek, I have to agree with your reasoning to provide access to the unit if something should happen. I think the Azek brickmould would be fine and would not present any issues with expansion/contraction.
                            "ALS IK KAN" - Stickley

Comment

Miter & glue?
                              Joe Adams
                              Houston, Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X