Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Best Tool bag/pouch/carrier or apron for Finish Carpenters?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Tool bag/pouch/carrier or apron for Finish Carpenters?!

First off, I dont wear traditional bags or aprons! I Think Finish carpenters should avoid them because of all the damage they cause to the finished woodwork, doors and cabinets etc...The Older guys on the job when I first started, made me take mine off, and never bring them on the job again. Then they showed me the way...The push cart! Today that still is the case, working in custom homes and for the HO. I still see to many Interior guys creating so much damage being careless, and sometimes just being stupid!

But there are times where having some extra pockets (that dont stickout to far) is a good idea.

What are you guys using?

So far I have seen on these forums currently in other threads: which Im totally liking!

Blaklader pants.
    http://www.blakladerworkwear.ca/

and

Skillers workwear.
    http://repconnw.com/index.php?&vmcch...mart&Itemid=71

Anything else out there?
    Also what other cool tool totes are you guys using? (besides home made)
    Jesse Wright
    www.archmolding.net
    www.jessewrightdesign.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Archit...27731683955342

Re: Best Tool bag/pouch/carrier or apron for Finish Carpenters?!

I always wear an apron for finish work. I really hate having to search around for pencil, tape, nail-set (spring type). In the shop I wear a long apron. Both provide a better place to wipe glue than my shirt or pants.
    http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

I have a basic CLC leather carpenter's pouch, but I don't hang my hammer on the loops, I stick it upside down in the main pocket. Also I've gone to using a 10oz hammer instead of the 19 I've used for years, and I don't miss it. I find I am carrying less and less stuff in my belt as I get older - only the bare essentials. I usually have my tote with my other hand tools close by. I hate that I'm careful installing pre-hungs, only to have the next guy come in and band up the fresh jambs with his hammers hanging from both sides of his 500 pocket tool belt!

Comment

ive been wearing the blakenlader pants for about 1 year now, and have only put on a tool when I do not night job as a toolman stripper..... lol just kidding.

but the blakenlader pants are great. I have several pair and with the built in knee pads they work great. they hold pencils, knife screw driver, nippers, hammer and several pockets for screws etc. well worth the bucks
        Kreg
        www.builtinking.com
        youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
        if you do not have fun every day... why?
        get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
        remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

Comment

Originally posted by kreg McMahon View Post
          ive been wearing the blakenlader pants for about 1 year now, and have only put on a tool when I do not night job as a toolman stripper..... lol just kidding.

but the blakenlader pants are great. I have several pair and with the built in knee pads they work great. they hold pencils, knife screw driver, nippers, hammer and several pockets for screws etc. well worth the bucks
          I'll second the pants. They work well and the knee pads come in handy. I may get the vest for when I need more 'on board' storage.
          Chuck Kiser
          Knollwood Construction Company
          Palos Park, IL 60464

Knollwood Construction
          Kitchen Remodeling Chicago
          Bathroom Remodeling Chicago
          Building Repairs Chicago

Comment

the bead board king has spoken!!! ;-)

i use Skillers and i like them very much but the new company, serving the USA, service is crap. i am still waiting for one of my pouches for a tool belt i ordered in November. they have been back ordered and b/c everything is made in Sweden and shipped by container boat it takes for ever to order something that isn't in stock. i would call and place your order based on availability now. the best part is they mailed me the whole rig and not that one pouch i might have canceled the order if they told me that before receiving them. luckily I have plenty of the add on pouches made by Skillers and have been making do.

their new website is wretched...can't navigate easily and so slow. i have their pants belt and it is a nice low profile that my tool belt doesn't pull down. you know what on second thought... don't buy them. i am done... i was going to say how their add on tabs
            http://repconnw.com/index.php?page=s...mart&Itemid=71
            and $9 pouches
            http://repconnw.com/index.php?page=s...mart&Itemid=71
            are pretty nice b/c you can add them to any pants but forget it.

with the service that i have gotten in the past year - i can't recommend them anymore. buy blaklader stuff its the same quality with better service and available at multiple USA stores so if you don't like the service one place you can use a different place. i hope blaklader is going to be at JLC RI b/c i need some new pants.

i actually bought all my original skiller stuff from contractor's solutions and they now sell blaklader - they were very good to work with - since i didn't know my size in the beginning back then. i will have to give them a buzz.
            Last edited by S. Donato; 02-28-2009, 07:05 AM.
            -Sal

Handyman - Flooring - Built-Ins & Custom Carpentry - Porch Renovation

Comment

I have a skillers vest...says "made in USA" on the external tag.
              Try Ebay,I found one for $20 a while back.They run a size small so order larger.Have never worn one in hot weather.

I need another,the one I have now is loaded down with a big tool belt,they have velcro loops on the inside to slide a belt into,so they support like suspenders.I'd like to get another and set it up for just finish work.If your making long runs to where your saw is setup I don't like the pouch either.

Arch,what are you using for a cart?

On finished floors sometimes I'll lay out a scrap of 3'x5' carpet,soft side down and lay some tools out on that.
              Big B.

Comment

There is no perfect bag setup or vest set up. I like to have options depending on what kind of work im doing. For finish work the skillers vest is the way to go most of the time. I can take it off during lunch or when I have to drive. I wouldnt want to unload all my tools and fasteners all the time. For heavier work I have the oxylights one peice framers w/ the optional suspenders depending on how loaded up I am. If im hanging beams on scafolding for example I got my nailer hooked on my belt, my impact hooked on also at times w/ multiple fasteners, the suspenders hold the weight nice and are very comfortable or I can pop them off and still have bags on. For super light work I have a Bucket boss tool pouch that snaps to my belt and its very small and light and holds the essentials nicely. Everyones different, but through my search for the right setup for me this is what works for now.
                I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

Comment

Originally posted by BGeezus View Post

Arch,what are you using for a cart?

On finished floors sometimes I'll lay out a scrap of 3'x5' carpet,soft side down and lay some tools out on that.
                  We use a cart just like this one
                  http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Tool-...5850790&sr=8-2

also we do the same thing...piece of ramboard or non slip mat to lay tools on. You just don't need many tools to do this work on your person. most fit in cargo pockets, or back pockets (responsibly) but I can see where those blaklader "Marsupial pants" (as they were described) would be pretty awesome! and discreet.
                  Jesse Wright
                  www.archmolding.net

Comment

I love the Blaklader pants too. They also make shorts as well.

Having the kneepads is a great idea. I have the lightweight and heavy duty pads and only insert the HDs when I know I'll be laying decking all day. Otherwise, the lighter pads are fine for normal use.
                    Your source for:
                    Decks • Deck Design • Porches • Railings • Pergolas in Bergen County New Jersey
                    Remodeling and Home Improvements in Bergen County | EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor
                    Techno Metal Post: Helical Foundation Piles in New Jersey
                    Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Comment

I use a cart as well. I've been using one so long that I'm an organizational mess without one, especially for door hardware. I also have a flat dollie with a folding handle that I use for 1 or 2 day cabinet installs where it's not worth bringing a cart. I do commercial jobs so my setup is going to be a little different for me than you residential guys. The only time I wear a tool belt is swinging doors and all I have in it is a cordless, screws and a wonder bar.

I do wear an apron if I'm drywalling, framing or forming concrete (anything outside). Never for trim.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-450...175FJTZZ1GEFE3
                        oops,
                        this is the one we have.
                        Jesse Wright
                        www.archmolding.net

Comment

i also favor using a tool cart instead of a tool belt when doing most trim and cabinetry work because of the freedom and ease of use. protecting the installed work from tool belt scratches is definitely a plus along with being able to have all the tools i need for a job to be close at hand.

here is my tool cart
                          S.M.Titmas.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you. You just gotta find the ones worth suffering for."
                          - Bob Marley

Comment

Originally posted by smtitmas View Post

here is my tool cart
                            Very,very nice.
                            S.M. do you use the cart on site? Can those wheels handle the usual job-site obstacles?
                            Big B.

Comment

SM, Great cart! looks very functional

OK, so what about tool organizers or totes? any cool ones from sweden or germany we should be looking at?

we have CLC tool tote..that work out fine.. but I know there is always something better out there...anyone seen anything?

These look great! I wonder if they are worth the price.

http://www.amazon.com/VETO-PRO-Model..._bxgy_hi_img_b
                              Jesse Wright
                              www.archmolding.net

Comment

Working...
                              X