Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Stolen Tools & Trailer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen Tools & Trailer

DieselPig over at BreakTime had his trailer and tools stolen this AM. He's in Mass, west of Boston. Here's a link to the post. Maybe you will see something pop up on Craigslist. This really sucks.

http://forums.taunton.com/tp-breakti...s?msg=116419.6

Re: Stolen Tools & Trailer

That sucks. Around here its popular to take a trailer esp with a boat on it take the bar out of the receiver and shove it into the receiver on another truck. Police are warning people even if its hitched to your vehicle to have a tongue lock on it and a lock on the receiver bolt. Plus if your hitch latch is removable have a lock on it. Its crazy. The idiots that took his trailer will park it and strip the tools and repaint the trailer for reuse or sale I bet. Hope he gets it all back.

Comment

I use locks instead of hooks on the safety chains.

Too bad about the trailer- I've had my van cleaned out 3 times over the past 5 years, and about a dozen other small thefts. Every one makes it a little worse for the guy I catch.
      http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

Lavrans what type of locks that a good idea but was wondering if its legal?
        -Sal

Handyman - Flooring - Built-Ins & Custom Carpentry - Porch Renovation

Comment

Originally posted by S. Donato View Post
          Lavrans what type of locks that a good idea but was wondering if its legal?
          Hadn't thought about the legal aspect. Why would it be illegal? Not really different from locking the tongue & ball.

I use a master lock, drop the chains through the loops & lock them together. I do use a carabiner before the lock to avoid stressing the lock mechanism.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

Who among us could not break thru any of this stuff in a few minutes? I usually have a pair of bolt cutters and a cordless grinder with a cutoff wheel in my truck, that's enough to cut chains, padlocks, etc. Locks just keep out the honest folks.
            Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
            Website - Facebook

Comment

David if you can get the contractor grade master lock in the correct position it will only take a couple good hits from my estwing and unlock.

You undo the chain, take what you need and it will lock back together like nothing happened.

When I used to work for a bigger siding company if one of the crews wasn't on site and I needed one of there ladders this is what i'd do. Most of the time they had no clue because it doesn't break the lock.

It's much easier to do the second and third time though so I'd say the lock strengh is very low after it get's done once.
              My forum signature

Comment

Originally posted by David Meiland View Post
                Who among us could not break thru any of this stuff in a few minutes? I usually have a pair of bolt cutters and a cordless grinder with a cutoff wheel in my truck, that's enough to cut chains, padlocks, etc. Locks just keep out the honest folks.
                I think most are looking for a quick grab. Locks add a little extra time to the equation. Sure they can still get it but probably some will just move on to an easier target.

"Too bad about the trailer- I've had my van cleaned out 3 times over the past 5 years, and about a dozen other small thefts. Every one makes it a little worse for the guy I catch."

Wow Lav, is this at jobs or the home base? I've had 'em reach and grab behind my back, but thank God never been cleaned out. Do you have your van alarmed now? Might help.
                Tom

"Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student." George Iles

Comment

don't believe in trailers. It's harder to maneuver and I'm always afraid of a break-in. My doors and hatches are locked with Master shielded locks (they look like hockey pucks) virtually impossible to get off. Maybe it's just me. I like my tools to be with me all the time ( like my blankey ;o). I'm sorry to hear about DieselPig's loss.

phil
                  It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Comment

You need a tougher lock LOL Most of these asses are looking for little noise and quick get away. Breaking a lock doesn't make it into their equation.

As for locks instead of hooks. It isn't a matter of locking the trailer up its a matter that those are safety chains Levrans. By using locks for that you are increasing your liability. The locks you use are not rated for the weight of the trailer if your latch fails and your trailer comes off the ball. The hooks are rated for that. You should invest in receiver locks ball locks and tongue locks to ensure you are not reducing your safety. Other wise if it failed you could have your butt in a really big sling.

Comment

It sounds like he is not loading the lock, he is loading carabiners that keep some slack in play between the lock and the chain.
                      Website - Facebook

Comment

He wouldn't load them until his latch failed and came off the ball. Then they would shatter if they were under load. Hope it doesn't happen on the highway.

Comment

Again... he is using 'biners to keep the locks from ever being shock-loaded. You have not been here that long, but after a while you will realize that Lav does not miss details like that, or much at all.
                          Website - Facebook

Comment

Yea I've never had my chain's get used. If I did i'd just buy new locks.

Here in tucky most guys don't even have the chains or a lock on the ball even..lol

I got pulled over one day pulling a trailer 1/2 my trucks load weight.

Watched the officer check all air pressure, turn signals, etc.

While sitting there I watched Hank and Jimmy drive by in a rusted out ranger pulling a trailer twice there vehicles weight.

Who knows what there air pressure was.

I passed the safety part but got a 180 fine for no us dot license.

Went to the courthouse and the judge walked in while I was talking to clerk. Told him that it wasn't my trailer and he just signed off on it with no fine. He was still wearing his rain coat.

I had sold it since the ticket.

Gotta love the simple life of kentucky...
                            My forum signature

Comment

Originally posted by David Meiland View Post
                              Locks also stop thefts of convenience- if they can just lift the trailer, they will always take it, if it's a little difficult they might not. Same with locking the doors on your house- it stops burglary of convenience, but not anyone serious.

Comment

Working...
                              X