Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default gutters for a mansard roof?

A potential client is having wet basement issues following hard rain fall. He has a mansard roof with a ridge at the peak, not the flat roof type. The lower pitch is about a 24/12 and the upper is around 12/12. The fascia elevation is about 8 feet above grade. Currently there are no gutters on the roof which leads to my question, will gutters be effective with this type of roof or will the onslaught of water from a heavy rain pick up enough velocity to splash over or put excessive stress on gutters? Or is there another water management detail that could help?

Default Re: gutters for a mansard roof?

Gutters may be a waste of money. Sometype of difflection system for the water may be more appropriate.
    Two roads diverged in a narrow wood. I took the path less traveled.
    http://renov8u2.com
    http://reverbnation.com/cortezthekillers

I don't have experience with the rain diverters, I would have to believe they only throw the water a small distance away(again at the low elevation that they would be at). It may not be enough to get it away from the foundation.
    It may be the only real option though.

Surface gutters may be an option. Make sure the soil is graded properly away from the house, and pave the area for the first few feet with concrete, asphalt, or even pavers laid tight over a well packed bed of stone dust. Anything that protects the first few feet of soil from the roof water will help quite a bit. And as long as that water flows away from the house once you break the fall, your basement should stay pretty dry.

If you want better looking (but less durable), a subsurface gutter can work too. Cut down the soil a few inches, and shape it into a swale that drains to open space or to a drainage system. Install heavy plastic (12 mil or so) on the soil surface, and cover it with good sized (1" or bigger) washed gravel mulch. With this approach, it is very important that you minimize the wrinkles and "ponds" in the plastic. Over time, the plastic is going to break down, and the less wrinkles, the less it'll drain into the ground.

There's other variations on the theme.
    All complex problems have a simple solution. That solution is invariably wrong.

Peter Engle, PE
    Almost Home, Inc.
    www.almosthome.com

A few of the Mansard style Victorian homes I've worked on have had "built in gutters" installed. While they work, they are a major chore to repair and maintain. On the homes that don't have gutters, I've put in French drain systems to carry away the rain water, as well as concrete aprons around the
    perimiter of the house.

J

Be careful with French drain systems. I've seen some people attempt to install them and instead of a drain, they turn into reservoirs against the foundations. Guaranteed leakage.
    All complex problems have a simple solution. That solution is invariably wrong.

Peter Engle, PE
    Almost Home, Inc.
    www.almosthome.com