Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

FRP installation cost

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRP installation cost

I recently installed a commercial job that required the use of FRP. Since I am a tile installer by trade I really wasn't sure what to charge the contractor. I figured that I just would charge for time cause he supplied the materials. The materials are called Altro which is very similar in appearance to FRP. The only tough part is that we had to use a 2 part epoxy adhesive to hold it to the wall and their joint trims as well. I usually charge square foot prices on my tile installations so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Rob

Re: FRP installation cost

Figure your cost per square foot to install it, add in your OH&P, submit a bill.

Comment

Thank you for the response, Unforgiven. I was also wondering what the goin' rate for installing FRP. I live and work in the Northeastern Ohio area so I'm not sure how that would compare to Florida pricing.
      Rob

Comment

I think this is one of those you have to understand your own cost questions. How much would you charge to install one sheet behind a slop sink with 3 penetrations and three edge pieces? The bulk of your time would be spent on picking up the FRP and loading and unloading your tools.

I would figure 2 hours picking up materials and traveling to the site and unloading and reloading with a little clean up. Plus 30 min. install. So 2.5 hrs x your locally tolerated hourly rate. if your rate is $100 per hr. your cost would be $250 plus cost of materials (maybe $50). Now divide 300 by 32 sq. ft. or $9.38 per sq. ft.

The parameters change if you are installing 60 sheets in a new butcher shop or commercial kitchen. Suddenly you are not paying 500% mark up for organization but have to consider how fast you can actually install the product.

If you want a useless generic answer that does not consider your actual conditions or costs National Construction Estimator says you should charge $1.32 per sq. ft. for labor.

I would recommend charging as much as you can average installing tile. If you can't get it keep installing tile and let some else do it.

Jason
        A control freak is just someone who cares about something more than you do. -- Milton Wolpin

Comment

I've always just estimated my time, every installation's different, I would never trust the "going rate". I would be very careful pricing an installation with epoxy, you may want to figure out your productivity and manpower requirements after you find out the open time of the glue. You may have to work pretty fast with epoxy.

Comment

I have never installed enough of the stuff to try to figure out what I should charge other than charging by the hour. Last two times was to install in a rental unit where the guy figured the stuff was cheaper to install than a custom shower surround. Try as we could I did not think it looked any more than a gas station bathroom walls when we were done. Every sheet had to be cut so anything else than an hourly rate would have been a loosing job for me.

Comment

I think the NCE number is a good starting figure. I would run the numbers based on that, and see if it's profitable. If it's a good number for you then you have something to back you up if your bill is questioned.

Comment

Its correct that NCE states $1.32sf. It also says .66 cents per lf of trims and moldings. And dont forget your markup.

Comment

ive been doing frp for 15 years and the best way to charge for installation of medium to large quanities with reasonable travel time is labor and material for class c and from 2.25 to 2.50 a square foot. ive always made very good wages at this price

Comment

whats the most FRP you installed in one day? I did 42 sheets me and 1 guy.

Comment

BTW: more than 60% of the sheets had cuts of lights and pipes

Comment

i just won a job w/ FRP. I charged $100 per sheet supply and install.

Comment

Originally posted by d-rock View Post
                          i just won a job w/ FRP. I charged $100 per sheet supply and install.
                          So was that a good number? Like I said in a few post back, all I have ever done is tried it out in a bathroom and would not consider doing it any other way than time and materials.

I thought the stuff cost about $30 a sheet plus glue. So you still made out all right?

Comment

he is going to spend 50 tops , cause 1 bucket of glue can get 5-6 sheets (thats 50 /5 = 10.00) + 30 frp + caulk +trim = 50.00

Comment

material cost is roughly 55 per sheet. I charge 100- 125 per sheet. Guys are charging 150 in these parts. FRP is between 42-45.

Comment

Working...
                              X