Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Base moulding size?

I'm running base in a house that has 10' ceilings in the more "public" areas like the foyer,living room,dining,etc. It's a 1x8 with 1 3/8" base cap.It looks correct and proportioned in these areas.The "Private" area(bedrooms) is in a wing that is up 3 steps and has an 8' ceiling height,except the MBR that is vaulted.Some of these bedrooms are 12'x12',and the hallway is narrow.

I'm thinking that the base might be a bit large in these areas,Should I consider transitioning down in size,say a 1x6 with base cap?

(the transition itself would not be awkward as it would occur at the top of the steps)
    Big B.

Default Re: Base moulding size?

Tough call because I think this is subjective. I would prefer the same size everywhere but it has been pointed out by architects that I dont know everything. Can you put a chunk of both and see which looks better?

Is this design-build or can you get an answer from the owner or architect? I hate assuming one thing and having somebody over rule it and have to do it over again.

brad

I would scale it down, Larger rooms=larger trim, smaller rooms=smaller trim.
    ----------

Robert Padgett
    Roswell, Georgia

Taller base in the formal areas does lend prominence to those spaces. I usually spec out smaller base in beds and baths.

Quote Originally Posted by bradcas View Post
    ... but it has been pointed out by architects that I dont know everything.
    brad

LOL!

My wife often make the same point to me.

i would go with a smaller base in those areas also. 1x6 total height would be fine.. and would look better on the 8 foot ceilings. and most of those rooms usually have stuff all along the walls anyway......
    Kreg
    www.builtinking.com
    youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
    if you do not have fun every day... why?
    get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
    remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

Just got my hands on a copy of "Get Your House Right" by Cusato & Pentreath. In it are listed, along with a lot of other things are base heights in relation to ceiling heights.

11' ceiling= 1x8
    10' ceiling= 1x6 3/4
    8' ceiling= 5 1/2
    If you bat 1000 you're playing in the minor leagues.

Warren Buffet

Quote Originally Posted by bradcas View Post
    Is this design-build or can you get an answer from the owner or architect? I hate assuming one thing and having somebody over rule it and have to do it over again.
    brad
    I have free reign on this one...all the glory all the blame.The more mock-ups I do, the more shrugs I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Mathewson View Post
    Just got my hands on a copy of "Get Your House Right" by Cusato & Pentreath. In it are listed, along with a lot of other things are base heights in relation to ceiling heights.

11' ceiling= 1x8
    10' ceiling= 1x6 3/4
    8' ceiling= 5 1/2
    I just got my copy recently.Extremely interesting and helpful.I happen to think that 6 3/4" base looks small in a 10' ceiling area.The base in that area is a total of 9" and looks right,I agree it would look quite large in a 8' high room,I'll go smaller.

Typical baseboard heat registers around here are about 9" high(not applicable on this job) and I would not say they look enormous or out of scale.
    Big B.

I go along with 1x6 and up to a full 6” base for 8’ ceilings. Just as important as the ceiling height is the size of the base in proportion to the casing. 2 1/4 casing gets 3 1/2 base and so on. I like 3 1/2 casing with 5 1/2 to 6” base and 4 1/2 casing for the large base as in one piece 1 x 8 or 1 x 8 with cap. That 1 3/8 cap on the 1 x 8 sounds small to me. The flat area under the cap needs to be in proportion to the cap and shoe, if used. I don’t use a 1/2 x 3/4 shoe on 1 x8 base but scale the shoe to fit the flat area and cap used. When using a taller base in just a few areas, we add a back band to the casing to keep everything looking good. It all has to work together imho.