Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default HF 12" Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Laser Guide

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=98194 for $149.00

Is this any good?

Has anyone been a test subject and bought this?

I have bought a polisher from them and I like it but I am not sure about miter saw?

Great price.

Any opinions, thanks

Default Re: HF 12" Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Laser Guide

Let's see. It's Harbor Freight. Probably a great saw, but it's over priced by $148.50. Unless you are looking for a disposable saw for rough carpentry don't waste the time.
    there is ALWAYS a better way waiting to be discovered-
    yfc

From the pics, it looks like they peeled all the stickers off of it. You know, the ones that said POS in big black letters.
    Mark

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say, "If I had a dollar for every time....", I'd be a rich man.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoman View Post
    Let's see. It's Harbor Freight. Probably a great saw, but it's over priced by $148.50. Unless you are looking for a disposable saw for rough carpentry don't waste the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by markhoni View Post
    From the pics, it looks like they peeled all the stickers off of it. You know, the ones that said POS in big black letters.
    You guys are far too kind. You also forgot to mention about needing a shower upon leaving a HF store to get the stink off of you...
    Greg

It's probably a really good boat anchor.
    The details you don't see are the ones that count the most.

Andrew, HF tools are considered disposable tools in an industrial work environment. If you don't need reliable accuracy in a 12" slide miter saw, you can get away w/ a $150 "tool".

You get what you pay for bro, we've all had to "learn it, know it, live it" :)

IMHO, you'd be better off ponying up to the Milwaukee 12" DCSMS (as low as $499 I seem to recall) and having an accurate, reliable, industrial quality tool that will surpass your expectations and be w/ you for many, many years to come.
    "I'll bend over backwards to help anybody, but I ain't bending over forwards for nobody"

Paul

I think if you are asking if that saw is a good one most likely it will fit your needs.
    Louisville Exteriors
    Professional Installers of:
    Siding | Replacement Windows | Roofing | Hand Rails | Gutters | And More!

Crap tools can end up being dangerous. Long ago a company sent out a B&D
    Miter box. Couldn't get why the cuts were binding... realized the base was
    deflecting downward in the middle. Got rid of that dog real quick!

Why would anyone buy a scms that couldn't cut any better than freehanding it with a circ saw?
    Mark

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say, "If I had a dollar for every time....", I'd be a rich man.

To harbor freights credit you can get their "3rd hands" for $10, I think they call them adjustable cargo bars. I've used mine alot to setup temp barriers and none have failed me ( I prob have 10), they have good holding power and extend up to 10' and still work good fully extended. Thay also have reasonably priced tarps, and I'll buy other things that even retarded people could make ok like a dust pan or pliers but if it has a cord or motor buyer beware......I just helped this guy out awhile ago and he had a harbor freight belt sander used maybe once and I fired it up and you could smell the motor burning.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~Bertrand Russell

wausaubuilder.com

I own 2 saws a 12" Craftsman Compound miter saw and a 12" Craftsman slider, I am sure that there are better but not for me. I guess where I am going with this is if you join Craftsman club you can pic up a 12" slider from them for less than $250 before Christmas. I bought my slider at Thanksgiving time for $225, then paid $65 for a 100 tooth freud blade, the blades kill me but you cant get great work without it!

Checkout Craftsman and forget Harbor Freight (unless you are buying rubber gloves)
    www.Antiqued-Mirrors.com

pretty much agree with greentree about harbor freight. I buy some stuff there but it is mostly one or two use stuff. I often buy their 7 inch circular saw blades. Often a 24 tooth carbide is $3. At that price I can use them and not worry about hitting a nail in some old wood as I remodel something.

Cannot beat them for tarps. I too have some of the 3rd hands and they work fine at about half the cost or less.

I actually have a socket set that I bought years ago from them. I get it out about once every two months for something. I needed to replace one socket that I had lost and discovered I could buy the entire set of HF sockets for the cost of one or two sockets at sears. For the kind of use I am giving the set they work fine for me. Not for a mechanic but fine for occasional use.

I bought a nail set from there and it bent the fist time i smacked it sinking a 15g nail in crown. I bought some 3 way cords and they lasted about a week, etc. However i bought some spline cutting router bits and they are holding up well. Whole kit only cost 15 bucks instead of 50. As far as the saw goes maby you didnt know anything about harbor freight and you were curious. Strongly advise investing the extra coin in a quality tool when it comes to something as important as your miter saw. There are lots of reviews and opinions about most of the saws out there in this forum.