Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PVC pipe sound dampening

Anybody know of another way to dampen the sound from a pvc pipe in a wall and floor (bathroom waste pipe) other than wrapping it with insulation. Other materials? Thanks.

Default Re: PVC pipe sound dampening

Use a sheet of quiet rock over the bay with the pipe in it.

http://www.quietsolution.com/

Around here this runs about 80/ sheet. make sure to use the appropriate caulk at the edges of the joist bay.

I've heard of ice&water shield or quietblanket (sound deadening material used in cars) being used. It works well, but I have no idea about the long-term issues.

We spec PVC vents and fittings with no-hub to cast iron branches and stacks. Its quiet and about 1/2 $ of a complete cast job.

Well, replacing it with cast iron is the easiest way, if you can get to it without too much trouble....

We had a contractor that had us sheet both sides of the stud cavities with valley tin and fill the cavity with sand. I'm not saying that's what you should do, but it worked very well.
    Mark

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say, "If I had a dollar for every time....", I'd be a rich man.

Mark,
    And each time someone slammed the door in that partition, a little more sand leaked out of the stud bay ....

Maybe try 2" thick rockwool batts adjacent to the pipe and a layer of 1" shaftwall drywall next to that followed by the finish layer of drywall. Wherever the pipe penetrates a joist, isolate it with foam pipe wrap. Thick and dense materials will go the furthest in killing off this sound.

Otherwise you could use a high density fiberglass and a mass loaded vinyl mat but the material is significantly more expensive than the drywall and rockwool approach.
    "ALS IK KAN" - Stickley

You can buy some spray foam in a box. Spray a couple of inches around the pipe of in the cavity.

Studio:

In my house I used sheet lead in a 2' roll supplied by my plumber. It has worked great. I would think that the 1" "core board" as we call it around here would work well if you have the room to inset it.

Core board is also referred to as shaft wall, a 1" gypsum product sold commercially in 2' x 8' lengths.

Good luck,

RJC
    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with quality.

RJ:

I've got to agree with you, when ABS became legal here for DWV I used it in a two story home, after it was complete the customers invited the wife and me over to dinner, ostensibly to show their appreciation for the house. In the middle of dinner one of the twin children excused himself, got up from the dining room dinner table, went upstairs and flused a toilet, it sounded like Niagra falls in the formal dining room. I got the message and sent some men back, tore out one side of the 5/8" sheetrock and had the plumber put cast iron between the floors. Shortly after I was building a hospital and when installing the lead-lined sheetrock in the radiation suite I noticed the tremendous sound deadening effect, I always wondered if I had just put another layer of lead-lined sheetrock on that wall if it wouldn't have saved me a lot of time and money; however, I've read the specifications on the lead lined sheetrock and USG says nothing about sound attenuation, I've called them and they just say they've never tested it for sound deadening. That was the one and only time I've ever used plastic pipe (except for perimeter drains around the foundation on the outside of the house).
    “It is not an endlessly expanding list of rights —the “right” to an education; the “right” to health care; the “right” to food and housing. That is not freedom. That is dependency. Those are not rights. Those are the rations of slavery – hay and a barn for human cattle.” - Alexis de Tocqueville

Lead does work well, again because of the density, but the last few sheets I bought about 5 months ago were in the $ 12.00/sf range. The shaft wall is much cheaper and is readily available at any decent drywall supply yard. As RJ described and as I inferred in my earlier posting, the shaft-wall would be inset between the joists or studs on wood furring or perhaps 25 ga. utility angle screwed to the side of the framing.

As commodity prices have come down recently, we may see the lead price decrease in coming months as old inventory gets sold off.
    "ALS IK KAN" - Stickley

I think I read a few months ago that there is a brand of PVC DWV pipe that is designed for sound control. I wish I could remember the name of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Holladay View Post
    Mark,
    And each time someone slammed the door in that partition, a little more sand leaked out of the stud bay ....
    We told the GC we thought that would happen, but he insisted. The reason pvc and abs make so much noise is that the pipe resonates like a guitar string as the water runs down the inside of the pipe. The water spirals down the pipe and causes it to vibrate. What you hear is an amplified sound. Shorter pipe higher pitch, longer pipe lower pitch. Smaller diameter, higher pitch, larger diameter, lower pitch. I would think low expanding foam shot into the stud cavity would dampen the vibrations enough to virtually cut out the sound.
    Mark

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say, "If I had a dollar for every time....", I'd be a rich man.

Quote Originally Posted by calvert View Post
    The shaft wall is much cheaper and is readily available at any decent drywall supply yard. As RJ described and as I inferred in my earlier posting, the shaft-wall would be inset between the joists or studs on wood furring or perhaps 25 ga. utility angle screwed to the side of the framing.
    Wouldn't a couple of layers of standard 5/8" drywall work just as well or better than core board?? Sure, core board is not hard to get, but how is it going to be better? Seems like two separate layers would give better sound-dampening anyway.

Way up top, Total Home posted a link to Quiet Rock. This one might also work.

http://www.quietsolution.com/html/quietrock.html

This stuff is engineered for exactly this purpose, and it weighs no more than regular 'rock. Skip the multiple layers of 1" rock, sand, lead, etc.
    All complex problems have a simple solution. That solution is invariably wrong.

Peter Engle, PE
    Almost Home, Inc.
    www.almosthome.com