Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Hardie board and batten tips and tricks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardie board and batten tips and tricks?

We will soon be installing a Hardie board and batten exterior (Color Plus finish) on a new house. We have not used Hardie before. What tips and tricks can you pass on to me? I've just started to wade through the info on the website, but thought you might have some additional pointers.

Also, what is the WRB of choice that balances speed of installation with adequate protection?

Thanks!
    Matt Clark

Re: Hardie board and batten tips and tricks?

Find out who your regional Hardie rep is and talk to them. Hardie is developing a bunch of integrated WRB products and they may have unveiled their line for your area already.

We're about to do a B&B w/ Hardie as well. We've got Zip wall for the sheathing and are going to lay homeslicker (not the plus, just the mesh) for a rainscreen.

I haven't figured out how to flash the head trim yet. Mark - you out there?

Comment

I am here
      I will try to get a detail drawn and post it in a pdf that contains my ideas on the flashing details
      Dan, with your case you have to get any windows sealed to the sheathing watertight because you do not have that extra protection that is afforded by the application of the WRB; I know you are aware of this; I have ideas on this.
      Mark Parlee
      BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
      EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
      EDI Seminar Instructor
      Level one thermographer (Snell)
      www.thebuildingconsultant.com
      You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Yeah, the window thing is one thing, getting z-flashing to protect the head flashing is the other - I've got a few ideas but I don't like any of them.

Comment

OK I am back; watched a movie with my wife and daughter "The Final Season"
          good one.

As I drew the thing out I realized the drawing is not needed.
          I also don't like what we are forced to do without the benefit of a WRB over the sheathing as far as the window head flashing is concerned.

Basically you need to seal the nail fins in with a good sealant; I wold recommend a Solar Seal #900 by NPC
          http://www.npcsealants.com/900.htm
          followed by a good adhering sealant tape. I would also recommend an additional drip flashing at the window head set in a bedding sealant followed by the sealant tape.
          Don't know what brands are available to you as far as the tapes are concerned but a lot of the so called top names do not really perform as you think they would so be careful.
          Mark Parlee
          EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
          EDI Seminar Instructor
          You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Try this, it is for foam but it would work for anything, yes?

Bill R
            Attached Files
            [URL="http://www.train2rebuild.com"]www.train2build.com[/URL]

Comment

Bill
              I like that detail for foam you do have an inch to work with; I would go a little further with it and set that flashing in some sealant. I would like to see that detail in real life.

We only have a half an inch total using the AdvanTech.
              Mark Parlee
              EDI Seminar Instructor

Comment

The issue for me is how to protect the FC head trim - Hardie wants horizontal surfaces protected. I was thinking about cutting the panels high enough above the window so that I could slide z-flashing in with the head trim under it, but then it seems like there's a weak spot on the sides. I guess if I had another piece of z-flashing right over the flange and head of the window itself it would funnel that water back out, but it seems clumsy.

Does this make sense? I'm too stupid to use sketchup but I could hand draw the detail and scan it.

Comment

I have not done it on 1/2" sheathing but it seems simple enough to use a router to cut a 1'4"+ slot where the flashing could be let into the sheathing.
                  As Mark mentioned, use the Huber saf to cover this and
                  BAM!! Bob's yer uncle.
                  Bill R
                  [URL="http://www.train2rebuild.com"]www.train2build.com[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                  X