Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default adhere trim to mirror?

My customer has a mirror in his bathroom that goes from wall to wall and from ceiling to the top of Granite back splash. It is 4 5/8" Poplar casing picture framed. What would guys suggest to install this moulding on the mirror itself. The casing will be rapping around the outer edges of the mirror where it meets the wall. I am pre assembling the picture frame with glue, brads, and Clam Clamps. But attaching it to the mirror has me worried. A tube of LN or PL? Will that hold? If it makes a difference this is stained moulding.
    Thanks;
    Drumkid

Default Re: adhere trim to mirror?

Maybe silicone or polyurethane caulk since they're more flexible than construction adhesive.

Silicone will hold well. Be sure to stain the back of the molding thoroughly, and keep the silicone bead neat, as you'll be able to see some of the back of the molding in the mirror.
    Nate McBride
    www.mcbridehousewrights.com

Like Shawn said, you can use silicone and hot melt glue. The thing to remember is that depending on mirror thickness you will see the back side of your wood frame where it meets the edge of the glass. Dry fit and cut some pressure sticks to get uniform pressure at the hot melt spots. If you don't have uniform pressure, you will wish you had another pair of hands.

Quote Originally Posted by mcbridecarpenter View Post
    Silicone will hold well. Be sure to stain the back of the molding thoroughly, and keep the silicone bead neat, as you'll be able to see some of the back of the molding in the mirror.
    Ditto. We've used this technique on a number of mirrors where a decorative grill was applied. You can cut any silicone squeeze out off easily enough with a single edge razor blade.
    Greg

liquid nails brand has a formulation specifically made for mirrors but for this app I'm sure silicon will do just fine.

E6000 works killer.

Or you can just use glazing tape. Put the glazing tape around the perimeter of the mirror where it will be visible- it will be more consistent looking than silicone- and back it up with some spots of silicone. Tape will hold really well, and if it ever failed (doubtful) the silicone will keep the frame up.
    http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

If you are cutting a rabet into the casing, put it around the mirror first and look at it. You will see the inside of the rebate, and won't like what it looks like if you use pl or anything like that.

I would use that black sh!t that I forget the name of so you don't get that reflection. Get some from a glass guy. It's the same stuff they use to glue the mirrors onto sheet goods with.

Or if you haven't got time, paint the rabbet jet black and use clear silicone or something, but it's got to be black to look right.

Cheers,
    Jim
    Last edited by jim@miterclamp.com; 09-24-2008 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jim@miterclamp.com View Post
    If you are cutting a rabet into the casing, put it around the mirror first and look at it. You will see the inside of the rebate, and won't like what it looks like if you use pl or anything like that.

I would use that black sh!t that I forget the name of so you don't get that reflection. Get some from a glass guy. It's the same stuff they use to glue the mirrors onto sheet goods with.
    Would that be... GLAZING TAPE? :-)
    http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

All good info,
    I gizoogled the e6000, that sounds like silicone also.
    Here's what I do. A lot.
    Flat black paint on the back side of the molding.
    Black 100% silicone and there is usually somewhere you can pin it.
    If not, we use a rube goldberg method of clamping the frame in place.

Per

Fwiw, I installed 2 1/4 around a similar mirror with 1 continuous strip of velcro around the perimeter (middle of the trim pc). I tried a 3' test pc first and what you see against the mirror / trim edge was the same as any glue. This was an older house that had plastic clips around the mirror so I wanted to leave them accessible.

Test with 2 strips of 1" velcro black for that width of trim. I think you'll be surprised at how stable it is. Or you can test it on the bench.
    Last edited by Happy Home; 09-24-2008 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavrans View Post

Would that be... GLAZING TAPE?
    Hahahaha...what, naked pandering for acknowledgment? <sniff> ;)
    Richie Poor

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, value engineer your unit prices.

E 6000 is a stryene based adhesive. It is used widely in automotive industy for body joints etc. I first ran across it in van ladder rack kits as an adhesive & caulk for the racks. It is much harder, & stronger than silicone, but still has some give to it. It will bond to just about anything.

Silicone should still be plenty strong for your need, & has more flexibility.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavrans View Post
    Would that be... GLAZING TAPE? :-)
    Isn't he talking about mirror mastic?

If so I wouldn't use mirror mastic.

Paint flat black and use black silicone towards the outer edges of the trim so you won't see it in the reflection.

I would also stay away from hot glue. I will fail in time.
    Andre T.