Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Pressure Treated and Drywall Screws

Doing a sunroom addition against a exterior brick wall, my framing sub used pressure treated lumber against the brick. I am going to drywall that wall, and am wondering about putting regular drywall screws into the pressure treated lumber.

My building supply rep. says the screws won't corrode because they aren't in an outdoor environment. I thought that the new formulation of pressure treated lumber is extremely corrosive and hot dipped galvanized must be used on fasteners. I would hate for the chemicals to eat up the fasteners and have to redo the wall in a year if I make the wrong choice. Will the fasteners be OK?

Thanks,

Mark

Default Re: Pressure Treated and Drywall Screws

You're observant and raise a good question. Why PT lumber ? Is it PT furring or 2x installed flat or conventionally ?

There is some possibility your sceniero will occur, but not likley. Nails would be a no no. Screws a possibility. Upon drying, the PT lumber tends to spit out nails and possibly screws too. The screws and nails may discolor in the future.

You can either redo the framing, scab KD onto the PT or use polyurethane construction adhesive to attach the dw using minimal fasteners. After dried, remove the screws. Of course give as much time as possible for the open PT framing to dry. You can also wait to remove the screws until painting, touching up the holes then.

Steve
    Last edited by Happy Home; 09-21-2008 at 10:20 AM.

black drywall screws rust out too easily. Why not use short galvy deck screws on this wall? Alternatively add non-PT furring strips to the PT (with galvy or SS fasteners), or take off the pt, hang 15# felt, and redo the furring with non PT.

The framer used PT because it is next to Masonry. It is convertionally framed. It's difficult to remove the framing at this point. I really like the adhesive idea. Remove the problem all together.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark- once dry there will be little corrosion. Assuming it stays dry.

I would also use minimal fasteners with liberal adhesive. Don't use deck screws because they have nibs under the head that will tear/shred the paper and can cause more problems than they solve (uh, yeah, I thought that might be a good idea one time...). I think some of the yellow d-wall screws and plenty of con-ad.
    http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang