Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Interior Door Height off floor?

I'm in a debate with another contractor with regards to the proper height an interior door should be off a floor. Our door shop sets the jamb to allow for 7/8' under the door if the jamb is set on the floor. I feel this provides for sufficent return air ventilation and allows the doors to clear any floor coverings that may be placed in proximity of the door. He feels they should be under 1/2".

Where are you guys setting your doors and how by what logic are you coming to that conclution? Thanks for your input.

Default Re: Interior Door Height off floor?

This is a good topic that will surely lead to some nice debate. I keep Bathroom doors 3/4" to 1" to help the airflow. Other interior doors I like to keep right around 1/2". I definitely like to keep that as a minimum for closets maybe even going to 5/8", figuring they might get too stale inside otherwise. For me much more than 5/8" starts looking like way too big of a space. I figure most doors (besides closets) are open more than the are shut anyhow, so it really is a matter of aesthetics. Cheers.
    Josh O.

"If people knew how hard I worked to achieve my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all. "

- Michelangelo-

Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington

I want 3/8" to 1/2" on most doors.

1/2" is what I normally aim for.
    "You couldn't do it and they didn't help.."

1/2 at bottom and 3/32 top and sides

my HVAC guy tells me 1/2" is necessary if there is no high/low returns to provide adequate ventilation.

but 1/2 doesn't look to bad to me.
    -Sal

Handyman - Flooring - Built-Ins & Custom Carpentry - Porch Renovation

We go 7/8" off the finished floor in bathrooms(I was told it is code in NJ) and 1/2" all other doors.
    Gene
    If it looks right, it is right

1/2" looks real purty. I likes me a half inch. ;)
    Richie Poor

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, value engineer your unit prices.

We generally go 3/8 max from the top of the finished flooring to the bottom of the door. This means that we must know ahead of time, of course, the type of floor covering, including the thickness of carpet. The architects usually want a small gap, and it does look better that way.

However, we are not relying on that gap for airflow.We are generally working on places with more sophisticated heating and cooling systems that do not rely on door undercuts, which are a very crude way to try to balance an HVAC system.

If you are custom ordering pre-hungs, set on the rough floor you should be able to specify the undercut you want. How else could you get them consistent, given the varying thicknesses of flooring (hardwood vs tile vs. carpet)?

Quote Originally Posted by hdrider_chgo View Post

We generally go 3/8 max from the top of the finished flooring to the bottom of the door. This means that we must know ahead of time, of course, the type of floor covering, including the thickness of carpet. The architects usually want a small gap, and it does look better that way.

If you are custom ordering pre-hungs, set on the rough floor you should be able to specify the undercut you want. How else could you get them consistent, given the varying thicknesses of flooring (hardwood vs tile vs. carpet)?
    ...and after all that planning, someone goes and pours the floor out of level. I hate cutting metal doors down! So I don't...I always make someone else do it...
    Richie Poor

The local door shops(suck) set the door 1" from the bottom of the door jambs. I set the jambs 1/4" off the subfloor when the finish floor is 3/4" and that leaves me 1/2". I go back and cut the jambs so the floor slides under.

I think 7/8 is to much.
    ~Kent~

Most bedroom HVAC vents are 4" x 10" (at least out west) providing 40 square inches of air supply. Setting a door at 1/2" (for a 2'6" wide door) provides 15sq. inches of return air as most air returns are outside the bedrooms. I agree that 1/2" 'looks' better, but when we factor in the pefromance requirements of the HVAC system doesn't a larger gap make more sense, for the sake of the systems efficency?

I like to keep them at 3/4 to 7/8 as well
    HVAC and ventilation in general is my reason and I also kind of like it better.

Quote Originally Posted by CraftsmanCollective View Post
    Most bedroom HVAC vents are 4" x 10" (at least out west) providing 40 square inches of air supply. Setting a door at 1/2" (for a 2'6" wide door) provides 15sq. inches of return air as most air returns are outside the bedrooms. I agree that 1/2" 'looks' better, but when we factor in the pefromance requirements of the HVAC system doesn't a larger gap make more sense, for the sake of the systems efficency?
    I might agree with that logic if there was but a single bedroom door feeding that return, which is highly unlikely.
    Richie Poor

Quote Originally Posted by Overbuilders View Post
    I might agree with that logic if there was but a single bedroom door feeding that return, which is highly unlikely.

Each bedroom has a supply vent but the whole house generally only has one air return (unless there are two furnaces) Each supply vent in each room being shut off by each door The point being that the room in question (with the closed door) will excessively heat and cool due to its inability to release said trapped air.