Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Eyebrow dormer class in Portland, Oregon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eyebrow dormer class in Portland, Oregon

Lavrans,
    I have two broad axes , one Japanese hewing axe, one double sided throwing Axe, and several hewing axes both left and right. I also have two adzes and one japanese one which is my favorite. At least 5 draw knifes of varying sizes., countless chisels and assorted wood cutting hand tools and one pit saw which I have not used yet. Garys point about Carpenters being afraid to cut into wood is well taken . We have moved away from the old ways that many have lost the skills that were taken for granted in the past. I can still sharpen my hand saws although I have gone over to the Eastern style pull saw.
    Billy

Comment

I'm a bit of an axe nut myself ...

http://holderbros.blogspot.com/2008/...rade-axes.html

I think the place to start a timber framer's training is with hand hewing timbers from the log with only axes. Once you've removed that much wood by hand and worked an entire timber to the line by hand, everything else is a piece of cake.

Back on topic... sort of...

Billy, when are you going to present at a Timber Framers Guild conference? You've got so much to share...
      Gabel
      www.holderbros.com
      www.holderbros.blogspot.com

Comment

What a great thread, very informative and interesting
        what a shame they are not more popular.

Doing a full size eyebrow dormer would certanly sort the wheat from the chaff.
        Any more on your version of the geometry projection or is that being kept under wraps.

Comment

Welcome to the forums . Please fill in your profile. That way folks here will know how to answer your questions, and maybe save you some abuse. There is nothing under wraps all the developments have been done for at least 200 years , I am just bring some back out

Comment

Anyone taking Billy's Eyebrow dormer class in Oct. needs to take plenty of pictures. I was looking at Tim Uhler's pictures of the class and realized I wasn't paying attention in class when Billy drew the offset hip drawing on the caulk board.

Offset hips made easy

Sim
            Elucidation of the stuff is self evident
            http://www.sbebuilders.com/tools
            http://www.raftertools.com/
            http://www.raftertools.com/iPhone/plus/

Comment

Sim , I will take several pics and then post them on how its done . We still need one or two folks to sign up for next week.

Comment

I just built a full size dormer from what I learned at the class and it currently is in the home show this weekend. If you can take the class do it. It is truly refreshing to learn something that very few people know how to do. Billy is a great teacher! Thanks so much and I will try to take some pics and post them tomorrow.
                Be true to your home
                www.eightinchnails.com
                http://www.facebook.com/EightInchNai...tionLLC?ref=ts

Comment

Originally posted by eightinchnails View Post
                  I just built a full size dormer from what I learned at the class and it currently is in the home show this weekend. If you can take the class do it. It is truly refreshing to learn something that very few people know how to do. Billy is a great teacher! Thanks so much and I will try to take some pics and post them tomorrow.
                  Hey, I thought you were going to call if you decided to do that! Grumble.

Take some pics- I doubt I'll be going to the show.
                  http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

Josh , are you going to post some pictures ? I would love to see them

Comment

Yes I will post some... I am going to take a few more at the show today so hopefully tonight. Lavrans if you give me a call I can get you in the show for free. So last evening I had a designer come by the booth and said that she draws them and hasn't found a carpenter who can build them and the last guys on site made a cone out of it. Ouch... Thanks for passing on such a cool skill.
                      Be true to your home
                      www.eightinchnails.com
                      http://www.facebook.com/EightInchNai...tionLLC?ref=ts

Comment

I took remedial eyebrow dormers with Billy last year (that is, a second time), and for a bit of extra challenge I drew and cut an eyebrow model where the dormer roof surface is a section of a cone. It's the same overall method, just more drawings, more story poles, and more complicated. For example the pitch on each dormer rafter changes along the rafter. The Germans have all kinds of further variations.

Comment

Here is a picture of Mike drawing in class
                          Attached Files

Comment

Caught me -
                            That was a great class - it really solidified a lot of concepts in my head.. Granted it took me a bit to get my head wrapped around it ,However the class is small, Billy warned me not to take any shortcuts , but to follow the class, My first inadvertant short cut, and I made a mistake ... Billy caught it right away and I was able to keep moving ahead. It was well worth the 3 days , Besides that, The drive up there and down was very enjoyable , its in the middle of no where and quite enjoyable. I'm already seeing when I can plan a return trip to learn more ..

Mike S

Comment

Mike,
                              The class is tough for many, even the most experienced people. I have found the the most experienced types make the most mistakes . I think because they have done so much and seen so much they are confidant in there skills . But it is like riding a bike ,training wheels then two wheels . I think you saw how guys soon found where all the information was on the drawings and learned the process. I know there are lots of shortcuts to take and I do them all the time when doing the drawing and picking up the lines on the wood . But only after having done so many .
                              By the way you were a great student and fun to be able to see you on the other side of the blackboard . What is refreshing is seeing experienced guys willing to go somewhere and seek out different skills. Thanks for coming
                              Billy

Comment

Billy,

If you ever come out west again, I'd take the class a second time. You did a great job teaching.

Now I wish we could add the dormer somewhere. Who knows? We are dealing with 2 clients, but I'm not sure it'd look good on their plans.
                                www.Pioneerbuildersonline.com
                                http://instagram.com/awesomeframers
                                http://www.youtube.com/user/Raftercutter

Comment

Working...
                                X