Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Fall Protection (on finished roofs)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall Protection (on finished roofs)

I was thinking of getting into solar PV installation, so I'll be on more roofs. But where would you put your anchor for your fall protection equipment? Everything I've seen looks like you got to bolt onto the roof, but that would require putting holes in someone's roof. Any better ways?

It's not a big deal on flat or low slope roofs, but if it's a 12 in 12 pitch, I'd want some fall protection.

Milton

Re: Fall Protection (on finished roofs)

Use a chicken ladder.

It is simple and safe.

http://www.acrobuildingsystems.com/i...arge.asp?ID=20

Ed
    Stay tuned for a very important message from our sponsor.
    http://www.rightwayroofingcompany.com/
    www.RightWayRoofingCompany.com

Comment

That's a pretty hilarious name Ed. I can just hear the guy who named it, " What are you scared?! Ok, go get the chicken ladder!" LOL
      -Dennis

Can someone PLEASE invent a sarcasm font!

Comment

I believe it "May" have derived its original name from what is now known as Roof Cleats in the OSHA manual.

The old timer "Roof Cleats" could have looked like the wooden ramp for the chicken to get into the Hen House.

You know, like 2 of 2" x 12's strapped together with a firring strip of approximately a 1" x 2" as build in stairs to prevent sliding down the chicken chit all over the place.

My first "Chicken Ladder" was made of Oak and had the wooden rungs attached to the 1" x 3"s with carriage bolts with the round head on the roof surface side. It was just a flimsy thin wooden ladder, but at the top, it had twin steel flat stock bent at a 90* angle to "Hook" over the ridge of the roof, ala the picture shown in my previous post.

Ed
        Stay tuned for a very important message from our sponsor.
        http://www.rightwayroofingcompany.com/
        www.RightWayRoofingCompany.com

Comment

Why couldn't you just throw a rope over the roof and tie it off to a car bumper? lol
          It is a simple matter of being patient. I do patience very well, except for the waiting part. That's the one aspect of patience that still bites me.

I'm not saying I'm Superman. What I'm saying is no one has ever seen me and Superman in the same room together.

ParkWest Homes LLC
          Working Man Online Store
          Living Healthy

Comment

Just make sure you take the keys with you. ;0)
            -Dennis

Can someone PLEASE invent a sarcasm font!

Comment

I usually use ropes and harnesses when up on finished roof. We are mostly on metal roofs so we take great care to not scratch them.

The ladder is great; but if you have to move around a bit you would need several.

With ropes, set several anchors (not off the car if possible; although I used my truck many times as a rappel anchor for slot canyons)) and equalize them so they all are weighted at the same time allowing good distribution of weight. This also allows for lateral movement w/o creating a potential for a huge swing if you fall.

If I am working both sides of a ridge, I run a much tighter rope anchored on both sides and use a locking device like an ascender from rock climbing (just be sure to switch it over each time you cross the ridge). On steep pitches all tools are attached to a harness with slings to keep them from jumping off the roof.

Also it is imperative that you protect the rope from abrasion and friction if it goes over a sharp edge like the eave with metal extending over it. I usually tape a drop cloth around the rope where it comes in contact with sharp edges to protect it.

This is all carried over from many years of rock climbing and I can easily be safe on a roof in a few minutes using basic skills from that experience. Any experienced climber can help you get comfortable with anchors, knots and using the specific equipment in a few set ups. I do not know how OSHA would view what I do for fall protection; but it worked at 1000 feet off the ground; I trust it at 25 feet.

Good luck.
              “Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.”
              Abraham J. Heschel (Jewish theologian and philosopher, 1907-1972)

Comment

Originally posted by parkwest View Post
                Why couldn't you just throw a rope over the roof and tie it off to a car bumper? lol
                I heard a really bad story about this. Let's just say the helper got pretty far towards fresh coffee on a run before he realized he pulled the boss off the roof.

Comment

Since you're going to be drilling holes in the roof for the solar install anyway, why not just make the first hole be for a permanent anchor? Pulte is installing an anchor point on the back side roof of every new home down here- of course, the roofers never use them, but I guess their thinking is that it's there for the homeowner or anyone else to use in the future.

Comment

I'm with Bob -- that way when you're back to service/repair them, the problem is solved.
                    Gabel
                    www.holderbros.com
                    www.holderbros.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                    X