Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

ceramic tile install next to a wood threshold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceramic tile install next to a wood threshold

Whats the best way to install a ceramic tile next to a wood threshold?
    I was thinking of cutting the edge of the tile at angle? make sense or am i off.
    Normally just to carpentry but this job involves laying some ceramic tile in a small room.

thanks

Re: ceramic tile install next to a wood threshold

If even, caulk it, if uneven height, T molding to match the wood.
    Attached Files

Comment

You call that T-molding a match?

Comment

Closest they had and customer bought and picked it, I just installed it, just giving an example of what can be done.

Next question.

Comment

zoom in on the title of the top book and thier choice for the mismatched molding is explained.

Comment

Originally posted by charles View Post
            You call that T-molding a match?
            What do you mean? What would you suggest?

Other than it being pieced (or looking like it) on the left side, it looks fine in my opinion. So please tells us what the problem is that you see.

Thanks.

Comment

As to your original post, I would remove the threshold and fabricate a transition strip. This is how I handle it when my tile contractor and I do a bath floor to hardwood bedroom. I custom fabricate something that takes care of whatever, high tile, low tile, even tile.
              The t molding might be made that way, not pieced.
              The base moulding and door sill, however look like they need some detailing.
              SteveC
              The improbable takes time, the impossible takes a little longer.

Comment

Originally posted by user843839 View Post
                What do you mean? What would you suggest?

Other than it being pieced (or looking like it) on the left side, it looks fine in my opinion. So please tells us what the problem is that you see.

Thanks.

I think the "match" comment was on color.

And is that really pieced in like that?!
                -Sean

Comment

It does look like an example of a short sighted HO Solution.

HO
                  "Home depot only had a 36" wide T molding. The good news is I bought a second one so you can cut 1 1/2" from it."

Comment

Originally posted by StephenS View Post
                    It does look like an example of a short sighted HO Solution.
                    "Home depot only had a 36" wide T molding. The good news is I bought a second one so you can cut 1 1/2" from it."
                    One of the things I've learned about opur industry is that there are lots of preople who will walk in behind another contractor and talk about what he did wrong and how it should have been done. However, moday morning quaterbacking never seems to take into account all the issues the original guy was trying to deal with.
                    So, in the spirit of trying to learn something, here are my questions:

1.) OK. Now please be specific and tell us why, in your opinion, "it looks like an example of a short sighted HO solution"
                    2.) and what specifically would you have done differently (how and why)?

As far as the comment about color, I don't know how one can run a piece of oak of any shape or section perpendicular to the existing multi-colored oak strip flooring and get a color match? I would love to know how to do that.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Comment

Tom,
                      My comments are not directed to Tileman or any contractor. Tileman has shown through this site and John's an abundance of elite setting experience.
                      Keep in mind, I'm basing my post on my observation that the molding is pieced. A short sighted HO is one that will buy or bring materials to a project that thier "good" with at the time of installation however a month after thier eagerness to have the job finished quicker than later has faded, they're no longer "good" with the result. I've heard one too many times that "It won't bother me" or "just install it, I'm too busy to goto another store" or even "I asked the clerck and he said they don't carry it" I bite my lip on the last excuse as I know HD's stock and at that point It's waisted breath to suggest going to the local lumber yard.

My calculations has the transition at 37.5".. My hunch is the HO popped into a hardware store or big box store, found the 3' transitions and made a quick descision to piece it prior to looking far left or right for the 6' length..

Color match is in the eye of the beholder. Oak wood has alot of variation of grain and color to the point a good pick blends and a not so good pick sticks out..

Next time your at HD, head over to the prefinished solid oak transitions and set out 5 parrellel to each other 1/2" apart on the ground. Step back and you'll see what I'm speaking of. It's not always simple though the issue is that an inexperienced person might not even think of trying to get a good fit..
                      Last edited by StephenS; 08-08-2008, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Tom,

The floor is a "Golden Oak" color, and the threshold only has a clear coat on it. They're two different colors period. There's no "moday morning quaterbacking" as you spelled...err... put it, going on here. It's simply a home owner taking the easy route and just getting what the store had in stock and throwing out the ol' "good enough" phrase.

Has someone picked apart your work recently or have you been in those political threads to long? You seem highly argumentative over something that's really silly JMHO. [shrugs]

EDIT: Stephen posted while I was typing.
                        -Dennis

Can someone PLEASE invent a sarcasm font!

Comment

Amazing how far this has gone, I'm sorry I posted that photo now, I was just giving the original poster an idea to answer his question.

Scheeesh, I'm sure that if everyone here posted photos of all their work, I could rip em all apart also.

Comment

Originally posted by Tileman1 View Post
                            Scheeesh, I'm sure that if everyone here posted photos of all their work, I could rip em all apart also.
                            If I posted my tile work, I think you would be laughing to hard to pick it apart. :0)
                            -Dennis

Can someone PLEASE invent a sarcasm font!

Comment

I invested in a portable router table which I use either on site or at home and I fabricate the mouldings I need if I can't find them at the hardware store.
                              Takes a little while, plus I have to stain to match then lacquer them, but when the customer wants wood to match, it can be done.
                              It is good for stair nosings as well which I then use screws and wood plugs sawed flush to attach.
                              Schluter is another method for those whose preference is metallic.

By the way, nice granite job tileman1. Just finished a travertine shower over kerdi (12x12) done the old way. Lots of sweat. I am certainly going to get that system for the next one.

Comment

Working...
                              X