Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default First concert you ever saw?

Quote Originally Posted by whiskytangofoxtrot View Post
    The very first concert I ever saw was George Thorogood & the Destroyers on a fake I.D. in '77 (only 15, you do the math:) at a long since defunked (intentional) club in East Orlando.

He played his big ol' Gibson ES 175 thru a Fender Bandmaster amp propped up on a folding chair, they had a hand lettered sign above the drum riser that said "Worlds most dangerous 3-man quartet" and they played for almost FOUR hours and wore EVERYBODY out! We were all so drag ass leaving the club after he finally quit, it was all we could do to make it to the car and drive home, but it took me every bit of a month to stop grinning : )

After reading Paul's post it got me thinking about my first concert. Oct 10, 1979 Kiss (Dynasty tour) at the Omaha Arena Civic Center or whatever it was called. I was 12, with my mom and friends. First concert without parent was Ozzy w/ Ratt Apr. 22, 1984 Jake E. Lee on guitar. Jake was awesome. Ozzy looked old and tired. (Bark at the Moon tour). I was 16. Duluth Arena. He'll I'm older now then Ozzy was then by quite a bit. If I was playing music now I would be on some sort of classic station. BTW, the internet is great for looking up stuff you couldn't possibly still remember. ;)
    Randy

Default Re: First concert you ever saw?

Rush,

Meadowlands Arena..... can't remember what the damn name was back then since it's changed a dozen times since.

1982 or 1983, I believe. Signals Tour. I had the T-shirt that I bought from a vendor pinned to my wall, in my mothers house, for about 10 years. Covered in dust, I washed it and all the artwork came off in the wash.

Went to just about every other tour that came out NJ way in the 80's for them. Grace under pressure, Power Windows, Hold your fire, and Presto.... I missed, a show of hands. Yeah, I was a Rush fan..... Shoot me.....

Scott, how many Rush fans in Canada?
    Chuck

I can't hardly get over I never, ever saw Rush live. There were my favorite band for many years. Got me to start playing the bass. Geddy rocks.
    Randy

Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington

Good topic.

First arena show I saw was Jackson Browne, Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor, MI in about 1976. Went with my buddies Andy Bronson, Dave Isaacson, and a few others. We were too young to get stoned (by maybe a year) but people all around us were lighting up. I was awestruck by the whole thing. Karla Bonoff opened the show, and I think she either had James Taylor's brother in her band or he played a set following her.

In the past couple of years I've done lights or sound for both Karla Bonoff and David Lindley at our community theatre. They are both stellar musicians. I guess Jackson Browne lost it after his career ended and became a wife beater.

Now... what's the BEST show you ever saw?

Beachboys, Cincinnati, 1966

Quote Originally Posted by David Meiland View Post
    Good topic.

First arena show I saw was Jackson Browne, Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor, MI in about 1976. Went with my buddies Andy Bronson, Dave Isaacson, and a few others. We were too young to get stoned (by maybe a year) but people all around us were lighting up. I was awestruck by the whole thing. Karla Bonoff opened the show, and I think she either had James Taylor's brother in her band or he played a set following her.

In the past couple of years I've done lights or sound for both Karla Bonoff and David Lindley at our community theatre. They are both stellar musicians. I guess Jackson Browne lost it after his career ended and became a wife beater.

Now... what's the BEST show you ever saw?

I just saw JB the other day on "Living with Ed". I didn;t realize he was a wife beater. Yeah I'm a closet greenie. ;)
    Randy

Trying to come up with an answer to the "best" question.

Maybe it was Little Feat at the Fillmore, about 12 years ago. Or maybe it was Robert Palmer, about the same era. I've seen a lot of Chicago blues groups in small clubs... Buddy Guy, Junior Wells, Son Seals, Koko Taylor, etc. Some great guitar shows... Eric Johnson, Robben Ford. It's remarkable that I can still hear after all that.

Quote Originally Posted by swbuilder View Post
    I didn;t realize he was a wife beater
    Didn't Daryl Hannah have him locked up for it? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by always-learning View Post
    Rush,

1982 or 1983, I believe. Signals Tour.
    Small world, Chuck. Mine was the same tour. Nov. of '82. Rosemont Horizon, right by O'hare Airport.
    Greg

Best show. 7th street entry, Mpls, Mn circa 1988. Place is almost smaller than my garage. Toss up between the Pixies or Janes Addiction.
    Randy

Very first concert was Three Dog Night at Hirsch Coliseum in Shreveport, La. in '72 or '73. Pretty tame, even then. But for a naive 16 year old preacher's kid, it was quite an event. Even though Shreveport wasn't a major tour stop, I was able to see several great bands there including Grand Funk Railroad, Electric Light Orchestra, Alice Cooper, Z Z Top, Bad Company, Styx, even Elvis. I think tickets cost around $7 or $8 at the time.

Paul
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by David Meiland View Post
    Didn't Daryl Hannah have him locked up for it? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.
    Looks like he was a beater or at least accused of it.
    Randy

First concert verified by photo was Greatful Dead in Golden Gate Park, 1969.

First concert I remember was Dizzy Gillespie- I remember his cheeks and name, but not the date or location.

First concert I paid for was either the Ramones or Black Flag in '82.

Best "concert" was either a soundcheck at the concerts on the pier series in Seattle when the Fugees & Ziggy Marley worked out a snit fit over 1/2 hour, culminating in everyone from both bands on stage jamming or "3 Mustaphas 3" playing at Bumbershoot.
    http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

First concert, Bob Seeger, Orlando, Fla in 1980. I was 18. It was an all day concert with a lot of other bands I don't remember, in an outdoor arena. The sun was so hot, no one wore anything more than tank tops & shorts that day... until the evening came, and a storm rolled in. The temperature quickly dropped by 30 degrees, and people lit trash fires all over the stadium, trying to get warm. The site was incredibly beautiful. And the music - and Seeger's voice... Rocked!

Kathie

Quote Originally Posted by swbuilder View Post
    Toss up between the Pixies or Janes Addiction.
    I saw Janes Addiction in PHX... Maybe you were there? Was that lalapoolooza #1 - hard to imagine they only made one album.

First was - Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers inside the ASU basketball stadium. That was also the loudest thing I have ever heard. Right when Nirvana release their 3rd and most popular album and it was Pearl Jam's tour for their debut.

Best? Not sure if I have seen it yet...
    “Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.”
    Abraham J. Heschel (Jewish theologian and philosopher, 1907-1972)