Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Nice Knowing You, Porter Cable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Knowing You, Porter Cable

Looks like they've caved to our insatiable appetite for cheap Chiawanese crap...http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...ter+Cable.aspx

You'd think they'd have learned a lesson from the "Green Rockwell Era".
    Greg

Re: Nice Knowing You, Porter Cable

Oh, well. Another one bites the dust. It's funny how so many of these companies are expanding their offerings, but the number of usable tools seems to be shrinking.

Well, then again, the electricians on one job I'm working on are all using the Ryobi LI tools. Cheaper than the good brands, work well enough to run for a while, not too much financial guilt when they die...
    http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

Nice how they refer to DeWalt as their "high-end" line. Granted they have some decent stuff, though I never thought of yellow as high-end...
      Robert

DUE TO CURRENT FINANCIAL RESTRAINTS, THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL WILL BE TURNED OFF UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE…..

Comment

You know I was just using my Porter Cable saw boss, which is about 20 years old and it says proudly made in the USA on it. I thought for a moment...ya know what, Porter Cable used to make some really nice tools. They have been on the decline for some time though. I have a Porta-plane,great tool, it to is close to 20 years old. I think Black & decker bought them just so they could keep them from competing with Dewalt.

It would be really nice if an american tool company would learn something from Festool and start making quality tools and stamping them Proudly make in the USA...yeah right.
        ~Kent~

Comment

dewalt top of the line?
          thats depressing.
          "any society that puts equality ahead of freedom will end up with neither. But the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with both greater freedom and great equality. "

Milton Friedman

Comment

15 yrs or so ago when i built my shop i thought i was being wise buying delta tools. contractor saw, 14" band saw, 6" jointer, 10" mitre box. every time i would get frustrated because i couldnt get a true plane with the joiter. tables werent parrallel and no way to adjust them into parrallel. all made in taiwan. really sad. replaced with jet, they arent much different. really have to spend large amounts of money to get top quality equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by kawendtco View Post
              15 yrs or so ago when i built my shop i thought i was being wise buying delta tools. contractor saw, 14" band saw, 6" jointer, 10" mitre box. every time i would get frustrated because i couldnt get a true plane with the joiter. tables werent parrallel and no way to adjust them into parrallel. all made in taiwan. really sad. replaced with jet, they arent much different. really have to spend large amounts of money to get top quality equipment.
              Don't jet and delta come out of the same factory in Taiwan? I think soon everything on the planet is going to be made in 4 factories in Taiwan.
              Josh O.

"If people knew how hard I worked to achieve my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all. "

- Michelangelo-

Comment

Originally posted by jobercian View Post
                ...I think soon everything on the planet is going to be made in 4 factories in Taiwan...
                Everything except Festool!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MiterMaster View Post

Mike
                  I almost made that disclaimer, but I was trying to see if we could have a thread without Festool mentioned. But, now that the cat's out of the bag, that is why my new tool purchases are often Festool. If they would only make a recip saw with a laser and good dust collection.
                  Josh O.

"If people knew how hard I worked to achieve my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all. "

- Michelangelo-

Comment

This is all part of "Planned Obsolescence". Why make something good that will last 20 years and make $50 when you can make crap that will last 5 years and you make $20. Look at the auto industry. Show me a car that will be a classic, like the '57 Chevy or '65 Mustang, that has been built after 1980.
                    SteveC
                    The improbable takes time, the impossible takes a little longer.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveC View Post
                      Show me a car that will be a classic, like the '57 Chevy or '65 Mustang, that has been built after 1980.
                      Scroll down to the second picture...http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...&ct=image&cd=1
                      Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Kent Brobeck View Post
                        ...It would be really nice if an american tool company would learn something from Festool and start making quality tools and stamping them Proudly make in the USA...yeah right.
                        Isn't festool a German manufacturer?
                        It is a simple matter of being patient. I do patience very well, except for the waiting part. That's the one aspect of patience that still bites me.

I'm not saying I'm Superman. What I'm saying is no one has ever seen me and Superman in the same room together.

ParkWest Homes LLC
                        Working Man Online Store
                        Living Healthy

Comment

Originally posted by MiterMaster View Post

Mike
                          Don't count on it. Another german icon, Altendorf, has some their saws made in China. There is no reason why Festool won't follow suit.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveC View Post
                            This is all part of "Planned Obsolescence". Why make something good that will last 20 years and make $50 when you can make crap that will last 5 years and you make $20. Look at the auto industry. Show me a car that will be a classic, like the '57 Chevy or '65 Mustang, that has been built after 1980.
                            There are kits available today that allow one to build a "new" '57 Chevy or
                            Mustang, using new frames and sheet metal. Nothing is sacred any more when it comes to classic cars being original.
                            Renaissance Restorations LLC
                            www.renaissancerestorations.com

Comment

And to think PC just came out with the new belt sander, 317?, anyway, just a year or two ago.

Maybe thats the last solid thing they'll make?
                              Take Care

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X