Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Lead on New Employee

To redirect my focus to the positive I want to share that yesterday I enquired at our Trade schools about hiring a 3rd Year Apprentice. I missed the Session and so missed the opportunity to recruite for free. Next one runs in the Fall. Next I enquired at our newspaper and learned that the ad we want to run cost is $120 per day. Today a 25 year old fellow approached my husband. He has been in the industry as a carpenter for 8 years and has been operating independantly for 1 year. He has had enough and wants a job where he can apply his skills and learn more. Wage expectancy is reasonable and he is just the right possibility for us at this time.

We have decided for now to bring on another guy to compliment our current Carpenter. Husband will have a little more time to estimate, sell and coordinate but still time to be on site and build.

Slow build as opposed to no build up this year. Hope to operate as 2 Carpenters, subs, husband as usual but less time in the field. Office girl x4 hours a week and myself hopefully working a little less. Might even get a good sitter for 1 hour two days a week.

Cha cha cha...........

Nicole

Wait and see now if this guy works out. I think he will.

Default Re: Lead on New Employee

Nicole these things usually have a way of working themselves out if all the right set-up is there.

Just curious, Will this fella be on the books or operating as a sub?

A bit of advice, When we have new hires we put them on a probationary status for the first 3-5 days. They are working as independent contractors for the most part these few days. We also add them as additional insured to our policy for our projects only. (simple call to the agent)

This gives you a day or two to see if they are a good fit and vice versa.

Your hubby should know in a matter of hours if the guy is worth his salt or not.

Helps us weed out the professional bull ****55rs and save the time of hiring and firing in a period of days(also the cost)

Any way congrats
    JASON

"The measure of success is how high you bounce after you hit bottom"

George S. Patton

www.jmsbuildersandremodelers.com
    (shameless plug for the google bots)

Nicky slow down and take a deep breath. ;)

Good ideas on both points.
    Nicole

I'll bet this will help a lot...hubby can get more "business" time while still being hands-on. If this works well (and of course, it can take awhile to know) he will see that it's ok to step back from the actual work and feel secure in spending more time elsewhere.

Hope it works out well for you guys...you definitely seem to be trying hard, and that's always admirable.

Jay

P.S. And the babysitter will be just as important for you to be able to "concentrate" more fully as time allows.

Nicky,
    Glad to hear about this. And glad to see you still here. I was not sure from your other post if you would keep coming around. New hires are something I really do not know much about since I have been a one man show for most of 20 years. I have an occasional hire for a job or two. I agree with JMS about having some sort of probationary period. In a few days you can tell if a guy is worth it or not. The next step is after you decide to keep him if he becomes lax after he believes he has made it past the first step, say in a couple of months. Or so it seems to me.

Again, I have not had anyone for much longer than 4 months. But I noticed that several were very hard workers the first week or so. Once they thought they were in or we switched jobs to something that they did not really like productivity might drop off. The last one I had I hoped for better than this but had to let him go when his work attitude became not so good.

Hiring has the obvious risks and I realize that we may have to go through some to get a good one. Our jobs are getting big enough or rather too big to do solo. I was very hesitant to grow at all this year. I had really wanted to work the two guy crew and manage that very well before expanding. But the calls are coming and many are willing to wait for us. Larger jobs too, not huge but one full kitchen for the Fall, a basement to complete this month, a kitchen, bath and office for asap or will wait to Fall, several small jobs and 2 baths for customer we have done work for. All willing to wait and several other leads. Not to count my chickens because all in the wait but extremely promising.

I am glad to be a part of this group good and bad. Besides I understand that much gets lost through the on line communication. I have recieved many reality checks on this site and also huge support and information. This recent interaction I felt crossed the line a little and it was frustrating. But hey people are people - we all do our best and communication is not easy under the most ideal situtations. In 4 years its mostly been great.

Nicole

Along years, I hire and train a lot of guy, few are still with me. Most of them went in competition and chased my old customer. This is when I was in Montreal. Since we work hard to develop our business, I now protect myself with no-competition contract with my employees, including a 15,000$ fine. I have nothing againts poeple who want to be in business, but please go do yours away from mine.

Michel

Quote Originally Posted by rubicoframer View Post
    Along years, I hire and train a lot of guy, few are still with me. Most of them went in competition and chased my old customer. This is when I was in Montreal. Since we work hard to develop our business, I now protect myself with no-competition contract with my employees, including a 15,000$ fine. I have nothing againts poeple who want to be in business, but please go do yours away from mine.

Michel
    Have you ever tried to enforce it? Seems like a good scare tactic but hard to enforce if push came to shove.

No I never had too so far. This is a new policy. Soon, I will ask a lawer to reinforce it. And if I need, I'll challenge it. My sub sign it too. A contract like this is illegal in Quebec, but here in Alberta where a lot of employees are incorporated and have their owe WCB...

I now protect myself with no-competition contract with my employees, including a 15,000$ fine.
    This has to be the funniest sentence that I have ever read on the business forum.

It is a good bet that if it is illegal in Quebec it is illegal in Alberta. Words like jurisprudence and public interest come to mind.

Good luck finding a judge that will enforce a contract written by a blue collar joe that stops another blue collar joe from swinging a hammer.

Still laughing.

Mark

An american firm doing business in Canada one day hire my brother to sell their roofing materiels (Garland Canada).. My brothers was hire by a Ontario corporation own by this firm. He had a non-competition clause for a year stated that he was not allowed to chase any client that he develop with Garland Canada. I can tell you that this had been taking very seriously by Garland at the termination of his contract. Now I mignt be wrong, I can't say that I have the thru, but at least on I am trying.

I am happy to made you laugh. If I said something stupid or insult you I am sorry Mark. Reminber that most of my employes are incorporated, so I do contract business to business.

Have a good day.

Michel

I actually talked about this with my lawyer. You don't have a foot to stand on if there just swinging a hammer.

It can help though if they get hired into a sales position where they chase your potential contracts. You have to prove it etc. So you really have to be dealing with 100's of thousands to million dollar contracts before it would be worth your while.

It's not un-common for a sales rep to have to sign a no compete.