Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Which powder actuated nail gun tool do you use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which powder actuated nail gun tool do you use?

Hey everyone,

I have a remington 27 caliber now, but it's getting old and I want a better one.

I've been looking at the Hilti DX-36M which I have used in the past. It does the job, but now I'm leaning toward the DX-460 because it looks like a better tool.

I'll be using it to shoot wall plates (both wood and steel) to concrete floors and occasionally shooting into steel columns.

Does anyone (besides Tim) have the 460 and do they like it?

If you don't have a Hilti, what do you use?

TIA
    Last edited by WarriorWithWood; 06-08-2008, 01:47 PM.
    -Dennis

Can someone PLEASE invent a sarcasm font!

Re: Which powder actuated nail gun tool do you use?

I have the 460 and I really like it. Zero felt recoil and it's so quiet, you do not need ear protection.

I finally figured out that your NEVER need the Red loads for normal nailing. No matter how much you dial down the gun, it's too much power. I use yellows for most everything and the dial-in ability is pretty sensitive.

My only other experiences are with the real cheap hammer blow guns (.22) and the single shot Hilti (which I owned, but sold to buy the 460). You can also get collated magazine nails for the 460, making it shoot semi-auto like a regular nail gun.
    Your source for:
    Decks • Deck Design • Porches • Railings • Pergolas in Bergen County New Jersey
    Remodeling and Home Improvements in Bergen County | EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor
    Techno Metal Post: Helical Foundation Piles in New Jersey
    Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Di View Post
      I have the 460 and I really like it. Zero felt recoil and it's so quiet, you do not need ear protection.
      That's exactly what I need. The Remington I have does the job but it's so loud I actually scared the tenants in the restaurant next door. I kinda laughed it off when they told me at first, but they didn't even crack a smile. :0(

I also like the no recoil, I know the DX 36 kick pretty well, and I'd be shooting 100-150 shots in a day. My wrist was sore as hell after using my Remington last week.

I need to get something for next week, I'll need it for the New Hope store.

Does anyone here have one that's collecting dust? ;0)
      Last edited by WarriorWithWood; 06-08-2008, 01:50 PM.
      -Dennis

Comment

I'll add a vote for the DX460. Just absurdly reliable and easy to use.
        http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

We also have a DX460 it's been great, but the Max concrete gun HN120? is even better. The only downside is the price.

Scott

Comment

I have a DX460, great tool. Just passed the 36 month mark, and is completely out of warranty now. Just had a major rebuild to the tune of $284. Ouch!
            While it was in the shop I rented a Ramset Cobra. Decent tool, but I'll keep my Hilti.

Comment

It only lasted 3 years before it needed the rebuild? What happened? Was it normal wear and tear?
              -Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorWithWood View Post
                It only lasted 3 years before it needed the rebuild? What happened? Was it normal wear and tear?
                Three years of commercial use by multiple parties. Infrequent cleaning, followed by maintenance by people that only know how to pull a trigger and beat on things that don't work.

Comment

We use several Hilti DX-35 and DX-350 daily also have the beast the big 460. The nice thing about the 460 is you can turn up or down the powder for harder concrete without changing the loads.

ML

Comment

I've had a DX460 with the 10-pin mag for 4 years now. I love it and it gets frequent use. I normally use the green loads, but will use the red loads for shooting into poured walls and hard concrete floors. I clean it when it starts to fire irregularly and keep several rubber bumpers on hand.

I use it to shoot 2x treated sills to block/concrete, 2x sills to steel beams, areaways for basement and egress windows to foundations, lathe to foundations and several other applications.

It is easy to clean, once you figure it out. The directions are mainly in German and the English directions are not the easiest to understand but they do have pretty pictures.

Last time I was in HD they had Hilti stuff, but not the bulk quantities I normally need. I just order through Hilti's 1-800 # and have the stuff in 2 or 3 days.

I've found that having 1 1/4", 2", 2 1/2" and 2 7/8" pins for masonry and 1 5/8" pins for steel on hand as well as washers and red and green loads covers almost everything I encounter. I keep everything separated in steel ammo cans so they stay together and dry. (The plastic collations don't like being handled roughly)

Long story short, get the DX460 with the MX-72 magazine. And get a catalog so you can drool over all the accessories.
                    Contact us for all you mailbox post installation needs!

Comment

Working...
                    X