Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Anyone tried the new Azek Decking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried the new Azek Decking?

I have a client interested in using it. I've never installed it and don't have any knowledge of it good or bad. Can someone provide some feedback?

Thanks
    Don
    I started out with nothing. I still have most of it left.

Re: Anyone tried the new Azek Decking?

I have used it a number of times and it is, in my opinion a great product. Every thing they say about it is true. The only drawback is that it is not especially rigid and 16" OC framing can make it feel a little bouncy to 200 lb+ people. 14" or even 12" framing makes it 100% better.

It is a great improvement over Trex and any other composite, because it doesn't stain, and it is not subject to mold, etc, since it has no wood in it.

The attached picture is of a smaller deck we just re-surfaced with it. it is installed with the blind clips, called bear claw or tiger claw or something like that. The posts are attached this way since it is on top of a rubber roof with only 5/4 sleepers below.
    Attached Files

Comment

Handy
      Thanks for the feedback. I'm curious about your statement regarding its rigidity. You indicate its better than Trex. However, you then say its bouncy and may require tighter joist spacing. I know Trex gets soft in bright sun conditons and tends to be bouncy. Is it better or worse than Trex in a sunny location?

Don
      I started out with nothing. I still have most of it left.

Comment

I am ordering some today to use for the first time. Your 14" OC comment has me concerned. Can you elaborate on that?

Those Tiger Claws are a nightmare. I will be face screwing this one. I wish they'd come up with a grooved board/Concealoc style fastener.
        -Sean

Comment

Sean,
          Just an FYI on concealed fastners with Azek decking:

Fastner Master came out with a screw and plug system called Cortex for the Azek brand decking. I saw it at a show and thought it looked decent. It wasn't available then but it must be out by now. It may be a "concealed" option for you since you are planning on screwing it anyway.

Bob

Comment

I've seen that and it looks tedious to say the least. For this one I'm using the stainless screws with the color matched heads that are supposedly made for the Azek boards. We'll see how it goes.
            -Sean

Comment

We just finished a couple of decks with Azek decking,nice product. Next time I would frame at 12" o.c. however.
              We used the cortex system,the screws worked quite well. The plugs took some time to install though.

Mike
              http://www.ridgelineconstruct.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ridgel...6262115?v=wall

Comment

I changed my lumber order this morning to make it 12" OC. I'll let you know how it goes. It's 2x8 framing at the maximum span to allow for head room.
                -Sean

Comment

Any thoughts on framing 12" OC, and screwing the boards every other joist? I saw another thread where someone suggested that on Evergrain decking. Just wondering.
                  -Sean

Comment

I think you are correct in framing to 12". I think the Azek has it all over Trex, except that it is not as rigid. But that is, so far, the only drawback that I see. I have found most people are looking at Trex and Azek because they want zero maintenance, and Trex and the rest of the composites, just don't. have it

I have a couple of samples I made up showing SS screws, the tiger claw, and the Cortex. I just tell them when pricing the job: This is OK, this is better, but it costs more, and this is the best, but it costs even more. So I let them decide. Then adjust the price accordingly.

I just started using those cortex screws with the finishing plugs and although they take a little time to do, the results are worth it, especially if the customer likes the no screw look. Id rather put those little plugs in than biscuit cut the boards and install those little oval biscuit fasteners which I did once and will never do again.

The tiger claws are pretty easy to use in the Azek, you can knock them right in. Swinging the sledgehammer though can be a real drag.

FYI, Azek is coming out with a toungue & grooved decking/porch product which I just saw on Monday night. Looks pretty good to me
                    Last edited by Handyalexander; 06-05-2008, 06:14 PM. Reason: brain damaage

Comment

Azek decking used to be called Pro Cell before Azek bought them out. I use it because of it's warranty. It's 100% PVC, so it's pretty indestructible to the elements. Doesn't seem to stain easily.
                      Many other composits have wood fiber mixed in. This doesn't make sence to me, since the wood will eventually absorb water and deteriorate.

I can only see two down sides to Azek. One, of course, is the price. THe other is it looks more like plastic than some other types of decking. All my customers have loved it.

A few yeas ago, JLC (or was it FH), had an article comparing various brands synthetic decking. You might want to check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by S.Joisey View Post

I can only see two down sides to Azek. One, of course, is the price.
                        Compared to what? It's within a couple dollars a board of Timbertech Twin Finish. I offer customers those two, Weatherbest, and the Timbertech Earthwood.
                        -Sean

Comment

Originally posted by S.Joisey View Post
                          Azek decking used to be called Pro Cell before Azek bought them out. I use it because of it's warranty. It's 100% PVC, so it's pretty indestructible to the elements. Doesn't seem to stain easily.
                          Many other composits have wood fiber mixed in. This doesn't make sence to me, since the wood will eventually absorb water and deteriorate.
                          In another thread around here it came up that the Azek decking is not 100% PVC; it has flax fiber in it. How much, and what kind of difference that makes, I don't know.
                          - Aspen

Comment

Impressions:

- love working with it. Cutting is a breeze, it's really light material, and the color matched stainless screws go right in, not a hint of mushrooming.

- VERY GLAD I WENT 12" OC and would highly recommend doing that. Thanks for the info on that!! I will not install it in the future on 16" centers. It's been 95+ and humid here the past two days and the boards are VERY VERY flexible in the heat.

- I personally do not like the look of it. Very plastic looking. But compared to the similar Trex planks, i'd take the Azek.
                            -Sean

Comment

Originally posted by Bob scott View Post
                              Sean,
                              Just an FYI on concealed fastners with Azek decking:

Fastner Master came out with a screw and plug system called Cortex for the Azek brand decking. I saw it at a show and thought it looked decent. It wasn't available then but it must be out by now. It may be a "concealed" option for you since you are planning on screwing it anyway.

Bob
                              Bob,
                              I was at Ryan today and they are going to be carrying the same product but for Timbertech now.

I really don't see why you would do 2 screws and 2 plugs when you could get grooved boards and use one clip and one screw. ?? Seems insane to me. The Azek boards don't come grooved, but I think if a future customer wants Azek I would try and steer them to the TT XLM boards because they can be ordered grooved and have no visible fasteners.
                              -Sean

Comment

Working...
                              X