Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Random Orbital Sanders

which is better for Random Orbital Sanders?

The Festool ETS 125

http://festoolusa.com/ProductDetails...&prodid=571610

or the Bosch ROs20VSK (which is a new model)

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/bosch/ROS20VSK/

I am trying to justify spending the extra money on the festool.

thanks

SJ

Default Re: Random Orbital Sanders

I have the older model of the bosch which is taller and a bit less comfortable. Its still a really good palm ros with plenty of power. The dust collection is really good on it. The paper filters work much better than the cloth tube like Default and PC use.

My good, old Makita, trigger operated, orbital sander recently passed away.
    After many years of good service it finally said no more.
    I could not find another sander trigger operated that I liked and since I needed one right away for an incoming small job I stopped at HD.
    You guys may laugh at me for what I bought but since I don't do as much door hanging as I used to I went for the small orbital sander Ryobi makes and sells for I think $39.
    I don't know how long it's going to last but so far I love it.
    It is not trigger operated but is quite comfortable to use and so far it has done a very good job for me.

i have a refurbed Bosch (the version the one you posted i guess replaced) for 3 year now. I love it - it has not let me down yet. i am sure the dust collection on the Festool works better then the bosch, but i am usually not worried about the dust when i sand.

the built in collector on my bosch works "well" but i recently got the vac hook up attachment for it and it works "better". I would bet that it still isn't "festool good" but for the price i still can't justify it.

YMMV

Good luck
    -Sal

Handyman - Flooring - Built-Ins & Custom Carpentry - Porch Renovation

Believe it or not, the Rigid RO is an exceptional sander w/ fantastic dust collection, and I've used 'em all. Supposedly the older Rigids (according to a post I read here sometime back) were made in Germany and the new ones aren't, but I don't know about that for sure.
    "I'll bend over backwards to help anybody, but I ain't bending over forwards for nobody"

Paul

I've got the Festool...It's nothing special, it doesn't preform any better than my old PC. They got me on that one, I payed for the name. The dust collection is about the same when conected to a vac.

Wait, it is special.

It uses their "special" proprietary sandpaper.
    Drew

Quote Originally Posted by whiskytangofoxtrot View Post
    Supposedly the older Rigids (according to a post I read here sometime back) were made in Germany and the new ones aren't, but I don't know about that for sure.
    The older ridgid your thinking of was a rebranded Metabo (at least I know the 6" was)

Within the past two years, Fine Woodworking did a test of random orbit sanders. They used identical sandpaper and weighed blocks of wood before and after sanding. The Bosch sander you mentioned was the fastest at sanding and left virtually no swirl marks. It was one of the best on dust collection as well. The Festool you mentioned was not as fast sanding and was only marginally better on dust collection. All the sanders were faster at sanding when connected to a vacuum. I bought the Bosch based on the article and it performs as tested.

So I suggest buying the Bosch and hook it up to a decent vacuum. I like it a lot. Festool is not worth the higher price in this case. The only annoyance with the Bosch is that it uses 8-hole discs versus all the 5-hole discs I have for my PC random orbit sander.
    saw dust man

Quote Originally Posted by Joining_heads View Post
    The older ridgid your thinking of was a rebranded Metabo (at least I know the 6" was)
    Correct. The new ones are made in China for Ridgid, though not by Metabo, IIRC. The Metabo model is an awesome tool for the money. It's similar to the Rotex sanders from Festool in that it has both a fine & an aggressive setting, plus pretty good dust extraction.

I also have both the 5" Ridgid & the ETS 125. The Ridgid goes to the jobsite & the Festool lives in the shop. They're both good sanders, IMHO. I favor the Festool because I find it more comfortable to use for extended periods of time, plus the dust extraction is good with the supplied bag & excellent when hooked up to a vac. Ultimately, you'll have to decide whether the additional bucks for the Festool's features are worth it.
    Greg

i have been chomping at the bit to put my 2 cents in on this subject.
    i have the bosch in the finewoodworking review . got it to replace a worn portacable . based on that review i figured i could'nt miss on the bosch .oh it is a fast sander ,but when you first set it down to sand and it does it's whirly thing -well that is tuff to clean up .it has a strong tendency to round the edges on soft wood ,i do not like this . i finally purchased the festool because i want dust collection and the bosch even with a vac spews dust .the festools does collect the dust and can sand a better finish ,1x4 do not end up with a highspot in the center .wood workers would appreciate that .
    if i was on a crew doing remodel the bosch is less money and sands fast .

I have the new Bosch 5". Have been using it for a couple of weeks. Works better than any 5" RO I tried and definitely better than the Festool. Also very comfortable. No complaints whatsoever. I even sanded drywall just to try it and no marks, no dust. I use an ordinary vac (Ridgid toolbox with paper bag).

Agree with WTF. The Ridgid would be my second choice for a 5" RO. If the Festool were $39, I'd still pass on it.

dg

As greg alluded to, I think what many say about the festool is it is more comfortable to use for longer periods of time. It has less vibration than the others but other than that....

I have some festool but for many of their tools, even if it is better, it is only slightly better and not worth twice as much as a bosch, dewalt, hitachi, etc. Other than the TS, with the price increases I don't think may tools are worth much of a look. How can you pay $300 for the festool jig saw when you can get the new bosch for $150, ditto with the sanders.

since folks have strayed from the bosch-vs-festool question, here`s what i use daily;
    http://www.dynabrade.com/regions/1/ind/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    since folks have strayed from the bosch-vs-festool question, here`s what i use daily;
    http://www.dynabrade.com/regions/1/ind/index.php

Ditto, but I wasn't going to chime in and start the air vs. ac discussion.

My main finisher 'splained it to me this way: for finish sanding, you NEED a 3/32" orbit. For general sanding, 3/8" or 3/16" orbit will suffice. AFAIK none of the electric models offer a 3/32" orbit. He also chastised me for the paper I was using, telling me it's important to use the right brand.
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

Quote Originally Posted by Tischler View Post
    AFAIK none of the electric models offer a 3/32" orbit.
    You need to do some research:
    http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...x?pid=ROS20VSK

Click on Specifications

And this one:
    http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R2600/EN/index.htm

And this one:
    http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=9434

dg

Edit: Come to think, is there a 5" ROS that does NOT have a 3/32 orbit? :)
    Last edited by dgbldr; 05-09-2008 at 12:10 AM.