Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Modified vs unmodified thinset

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Modified vs unmodified thinset

I know of no Company that agrees with Schluter on this,including but not limited to,Mapei,Laticrete,Tec,Mercrete,Bonsal,Custom, Bostik,and many others.

Comment

This has always been an issue when using either modified or non modified thinset. It's really quite simple. Modified does have the benifit of being stronger and more elastic. Here comes the rub. Why then not use it everywhere ??? As mentioned before ... moisture is a big issue with installation of tile especially if it doesnt have a way to evaporate the moisture out of the thinset. The easy way to remember how to use modified is .... is there a way for water to get out of the mixed thinset. For example: Hardi board will suck up the moisture , plywood will suck up moisture, etc. Tile will also, but think about it ... there is no way for it to evaporate past the glaze on the surface of the tile. Keeping that in mind ... if I put down a membrane as a substrate, eg. Ditra, Nobel, Dural, etc. water will be trapped between the tile surface and the membrane. So it will take a lot longer for the thinset to cure properly if modified cures when the moisture is gone. On the other hand, if you want it to cure like now .... non modified will cure even if it is wet, just like concrete. It will set over a lot less time as compared to evaporation. I would rather use modified ....buty If I used it on Ditra for example ... it would take weeks for the water to get out of the thinset to be fully cured. By then walking on it or rough abuse could make the tile loose their bond, and Schluter wont warrenty the installation of there product if you use modified to set tile .... hope this helps ... Take care, Bob

Comment

I am building a shower with cement board ans was thinking of using the schluter cloth on the seams. Can I use modified cement under it and unmodified over top for the tile ?

Comment

If you don't plan on following any kind of standard such as what you describe, you can do what every you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie 58 View Post
            I am building a shower with cement board ans was thinking of using the schluter cloth on the seams. Can I use modified cement under it and unmodified over top for the tile ?
            http://jlc.buysub.com/index.php/feat...ew-font-p.html

It's even on sale.
            Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Comment

.......5 year old thread here......
              Tom

"Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student." George Iles

Comment

Working...
              X