Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Dense guard Vs Dense Shield

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dense guard Vs Dense Shield

I have been looking at GPs site and for the life of me i cant see a difference in these two products, except the color. does anyone have experience using BOTH dense shield and dense guard?

http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pid=6388
    Jeff

When all else fails read the instuctions

Re: Dense guard Vs Dense Shield

The official answer is they are the same except for the surface color. The blue is the color of the material that is going to be sold at Lowes exclusively. Otherwise, it is the same product.

Comment

thanks, I saw that about being sold at lowes and wondered. So they just renamed it so that they could say "available only at lowes"
      Jeff

When all else fails read the instuctions

Comment

I was wondering this myself. Of course the guys at Lowe's have no clue.

So is Durock and Hardi out the window and this is the next great wet area backer board?
        -Sean

Comment

It’s the only wet area backer I use, unless I’m doing Kerdi. I’ve used DensShield for a lot of shower remodels, and really like it. It’s light weight, easy to cut, waterproof, comes in 32” x 5’ and 4’ x 5’ sheets. It doesn’t look like the DensGuard comes in 4’x5” half inch thickness.

I use Lexel caulk to seal the corners, then I tape the corners and butt joints then apply Redgard to the joints and nail holes. Now I have a waterproof substrate with no need for sheets of plastic behind it. No problem with it sucking all the water out of your thinset, like some CBU’s.
          Second place is no better than fifth. ("Papa" Roy Stetina)

Comment

Still at the end of the day it is modified gypsum. I have never used it so I can't really say, but I have no faith in gypsum in wet areas. Better to use Mapei HPG over the CBU and all problems are solved cheaply and effectively. No, I don't have any connection with Mapei, I just like their product.

Comment

Get a scrap of Denshield and throw it in a glass of water and look at it in a week. That should address all your concerns.

Comment

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ght=densshield

Comment

Working...
                X