Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

When does Paint go bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When does Paint go bad?

Have some interior paint that has been sitting in a garage for a year and a half, how do I know if it's good or bad?

The garage got very cold this winter in Colorado, but I'm I'm not sure if it ever actually froze, I don't think that it has. The paint has not separated and it stirred up nicely. There is no sediment at the bottom of the bucket, can I go ahead and use it? Jim

Re: When does Paint go bad?

Sounds fine to me. I have had latex house paint that lasted 3-4 years, never frozen, tightly sealed cans with little air at the top, and it was fine. I had some fairly new oil stain that froze last winter (freezing might not be the right word) and it curdled like milk.
    Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
    Website - Facebook

Comment

I just opened a can of Fine Paints of Europe alkyd that was partially used seven years ago and it did not have a solid surface on top. I mixed it for a few minutes and everything seemed to blend together perfectly. I would say that once you have a significant surface film develop, the remaining material mix ratio has changed and you probably should opt to purchase new. If you are doing a minor touch up I guess you can risk it but setting up ladders or scaffold to get 40 feet up is a different proposition. I would not risk anything that has separated and solidified to any extent.
      "ALS IK KAN" - Stickley

Comment

I've had brand new paint that was separated with all of the solids on the bottom (i.e. I couldn't wait in line at the paint counter so I grabbed something off the shelf unshaken and bought it). Once it mixes up it is fine. I think your description of the surface film is correct, that's a sign that it's going bad. Clumps, chunks, stringiness, etc. mean that it's gone.
        Website - Facebook

Comment

Have you seen the video series, ''When good paint goes bad". "When good paint goes bad II". And "When bad paint attacks"?
          Mark

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say, "If I had a dollar for every time....", I'd be a rich man.

Comment

Don't forget "Return of the Son of Bad Paint".
            Website - Facebook

Comment

And ''The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly Paint". Or How about "Three Queers And a Paintbrush"
              Mark

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say, "If I had a dollar for every time....", I'd be a rich man.

Comment

Paint that has frozen is not usable no matter what it looks like, because the properties have been changed. I have seen relatively new paint (2-4 yrs) go bad. If it has any mold, thats a good indication. Also if it has a bad odor to it.

I was working on a condo one time when they were using bad paint on the interior. From looking at it you couldn't tell, but you could smell the rank odor from one end of the hallway to the other. Made me sick to my stomach.

If you're unsure, take it to the paint store and have them look at it. Or just toss it and buy new.

Tom
                Tom

"Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student." George Iles

Comment

Bad smelling paint doesn't have anything on bad smelling drywall compound. I've smelled some that would make you wretch your guts out.
                  Mark

Comment

Working...
                  X