Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default A belt sander with good dust collection?

I try to maintain a dust free jobsite and for the most part I do, however my belt sander is one tool that lacks good dust control and creates a lot of fine dust. I've got a Bosch 1274DVS and when I hook of the vac to it, it seems to pick up even less dust than the bag.

Anyone know of a belt sander with good dust collection? I see that Festool has one offered in other countries but not here.

Kye

Default Re: A belt sander with good dust collection?

Kye,

My Makita 4x24 does well hooked to either my little Fein vac or my little Festool vac. Brice Burrell has a pretty good write up on how he hooks his up over at FOG. We have different models. I love that sander, BTW. It's a 20 pound beast, but a fine tool.

- Kit

Well... its not full sized (even close), but that new armadillo looking PC is pretty good. All the others I've used have given similar results to yours.

Makita 9903 has EXCELLENT dust collection when hooked to a good quality portable DC (like a Fein or Festool). Here's my review of that sander on Brice Burrell's website: http://www.burrellcustomcarpentry.com/subpage36.html.

Use a Fein hose adapter to connect it to your vac and you'll see something like 90%+ dust collection.

The review includes lots of pics including how to hook it to your vac.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s., I think it's also a VERY good sander in it's own right. Tracking is easy to adjust and stays adjusted. It's easy to handle and can sand right next to a wall. And you can lay it on it's side or back and clamp it to a work table WITH the hose attached for a decent worksite fixed standard.

Sorry Dan, I credited the wrong guy...

- Kit

I like my old Rockwell. However, every one I have every owned eventually gets stopped up and I don't take the time to keep it cleaned out. So, I would take the balance and platen aspects over dust collection any day. With a strong collector attached they all seem to do pretty well. I just hate having the hose dragging all over the place.

My old PC doesn't seem to collect the dust very well at all. It also doesn't seem to disperse it up into the air as much as some of the others. It just piles up on the surface and I brush it away with a paint brush I keep in my pocket.
    Brad

You will never stand taller than when kneeling to help a child.

Thanks for the input fellas. I had to do a double take on my little Bosch after hooking up my CT22 to it. It made more dust with the dc hooked to it than it does with nothing at all on it. I tried switching the dc between the rabbit and the turtle, thinking it was creating some kind of wierd eddy but the collection level didn't seem to affect it.
    :(

Kye

Quote Originally Posted by vanderpooch View Post
    Sorry Dan, I credited the wrong guy...

- Kit
    Kit,

Brice deserves a lot of the credit. Take a look at some of the other stuff on his site. His multimedia techniques are excellent!

Dan.

I have two belt sanders ,neither does a good job with the dust,seems the nature of a belt sander . Though it is not much a problem for i rarely need one .Since getting that 6" rotex i primarily use it .Would something like that work for you ?

Joseph,

I have a Rotex 150FEQ. Great sander. In general, I agree with you. However, for narrow material (like door edges), the Rotex will bounce around. My Makita is great for this kind of work.

Regarding dust collection, I respectfully disagree about belt sanders. As I wrote above, when my Makita 9903 is hooked to my CT22, dust collection is about 95%. Bottom line - I think belt sander dust collection depends on the sander.

Regards,

Dan.

Yeah, I've got the rotex and it replaces the use of the belt sander 75% of the time. Hogging out a lot of material or scribing cabinets is where I use the belt sander.

Kye

ahhh ,new info .thanks