Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Wood-burning fireplaces are now illegal in California

This post was copied from http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/pardonourdust/

Design ideas for obsolete fireplaces

A proposal to limit fireplace use, reported here last June, became reality Friday as the South Coast Air Quality Management District board voted unanimously "to impose hefty fines on homeowners who burn wood in fireplaces on high-pollution days during winter months — usually about two dozen days," according to the L.A. Times.

Plus: "Builders will be banned from installing wood-burning fireplaces in new homes, and it will be illegal to buy and install one when remodeling a home. Gas-burning fireplaces will be allowed."

But let's look at the design opportunities here.
    What can you do with an increasingly obsolete fireplace?
    • Make a book nook out of it
    • Burn a few soy candles inside (very romantic)
    • Put a cozy dog or cat bed in there
    • Display your collection of short statues (Buddha anyone?)
    • Take it out and allow the sun to warm the house (check this out)
    • Take it out and get views of your garden
    • Take it out and free up wall space

Al

Default Re: Wood-burning fireplaces are now illegal in California

I don't like wood burning fireplaces anyway. They smell.

AL:

They've been illegal in many communities up here for the last several years, and there is a proposal to make the ban statewide. The part I have second thoughts about is a campaign to report neighbors when you see smoke coming out of chimneys.
    When fascism comes to America it will not be in brown and black shirts, it will not be with jack-boots, it will be in Nike sneakers and Smiley shirts. Germany lost the Second World War, Fascism won it. George Carlin 1937 - 2008

@#*$^#&, @*$&%^!!!!!!

Wood-burning fireplaces are still legal in Colorado but are regulated in the seven county Denver metro area, where bans are enacted on 'Red Air Quality' days.

I love the smell and sound of a real fire in a real fireplace.
    Richie Poor

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, value engineer your unit prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Overbuilders View Post
    I love the smell and sound of a real fire in a real fireplace.
    I do to when I'm camping. Not when I'm laying on my fine italion leather couch with my lapttop out.

It just gives everything in your house that burnt odor if you use it alot.

I haven't seen one around here in a new home in a while.

And I forgot to add, wood-burning fireplaces have not been included in the construction of new homes in the seven county area since 1993.
    Richie Poor

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, value engineer your unit prices.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Buesking
    It just gives everything in your house that burnt odor if you use it alot.
    Ya gotsta open da flue, J.B.! :)
    Tom

Support your country always, support your government only when they deserve it! - Mark Twain
    This fall, fire them all, DON'T RE-ELECT ANYONE!

What's a flue? :)

I guess you could say I'm against the gas ones to though. I just don't care for a fireplace unless it's in my basement.

I also think we should quit running gas to every house. Electricity, Water, and Internet is all we need. Just imagine how much money it takes to bring natural gas to every house?

The only think I would miss with no gas hookup is not having to go refuel my propane take for my bbq grill.

I realize some of you may have never really experienced a wood fire in a fire place, so here is a glimpse into what it is like...

I have a 90 yr old house with an 8' wide by 17' high stone fireplace with a slab of oak as a mantle.

There is nothing like a real wood fire on a cold snowy day. I guess this does not matter in CA but in NY it is really a great feeling to come in to a fire after spending a couple of hours clearing snow from a driveway.

Grab a drink, your wife and sit down (or whatever else pleases you!) in front of the fireplace. It is really a great feeling and makes all the hassles of keeping up a house worthwhile.

I cheated this year and bought a load of firewood, but in past years I cut my own and even that is rewarding if you have the energy.
    Last edited by Dave-A1; 03-09-2008 at 07:44 PM.
    -> Dave

Up to the early '90s, three to five wood burning fireplaces were standard in high-end homes. Now I never see them. Good riddance too!

I can always tell when someone in my neighbourhood has one going---by the smell of the household garbage they're burning in it.

Still, I recall some romantic times in front of roaring fires. (But then I got married.)

This brings up what am I going to do with all my scrap wood from construction if they outlaw wood burning fireplaces. I currently give a load of scraps a year to a couple of friends who make use of the stuff. Now I would have to fill up a landfill if it is not burned up.

Do not know about California but around here almost all of the tree service companies sell their wood as a way to keep it out of the landfill. Most run out before the winter is over because they are offering it at a cheaper price. I guess they figure it is a win win situation for them. Cut up a tree, haul it to their yard, on slow days they cut it up and split it, then sell it. Keeps it out of the landfill, keeps the guys busy, helps heat someone's house.

fire, fire, uh, fires cool.

it also has to be the most inefficient way to heat a room but also the cheapest. for some people it is their only means of heat but i don't see them building a new home any time soon. i for one like the idea of a central fire place to warm a house but since i live in SW Florida it ain't gonna happen. for instance, today all across the country the winter weather has been tearing it up with freezing rain, sleet, snow, and other nasty cold things but today i went surfing and actually felt too warm with my shorty wet suit on.
    S.M.Titmas.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you. You just gotta find the ones worth suffering for."
    - Bob Marley

Is that an a$$less wetsuit? :O(
    Tom

Support your country always, support your government only when they deserve it! - Mark Twain
    This fall, fire them all, DON'T RE-ELECT ANYONE!

Can't burn wood, wow. Well, if I lived in the Peoples Republic of California, I'd consider converting my wood burning stove to a coal fired. Anyone remeber when this was a free country?
    there is ALWAYS a better way waiting to be discovered-
    yfc