Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Coffered Ceiling Materials ??????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffered Ceiling Materials ??????

Hello to all !

I'm finally getting a chance to install a coffered ceiling using the method Gary uses. I've read all of the articles and have Gary's book. But if people reading this forum who have completed coffered ceilings could talk more about the materials they used for the backing and the beams. Gary recommends finger jointed pine/jamb material fro the hollow backing and mdf for the beams. I'm having difficulty finding mdf in plank form where I live(and i don't want to rip down loads of tall baseboard). The beams are going to be six inches wide, are there any other suitable light weight stable material you can use?.

THANKS

brian
    Last edited by BOSCO1970; 03-07-2008, 06:29 AM.
    BOSCO
    www.thefinishingcompany.net

Re: Coffered Ceiling Materials ??????

... very nice...
    Donald
    Sure Lock, Inc.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

"Always do the best work possible. Leave the job-sites saying, 'I did great work today!' And you should be charging in the top 10-20%. Your customers will be saying, 'That guy is very expensive! But he's worth it!!!' ". -GK

Comment

I used finger jointed pine (pre-primed) for both Beams and backing. Used 1x6 material in 16' lengths and just cut to fit.

I allowed material to acclimate for a week, then used plenty of glue for all the joints. Job came out excellent.

See attached.
      Attached Files

Comment

j,
        yes it looks fantastic, does it have to be pre primed for the hollow backing?,

thanks
        brian

ask stupid questions, don't look stupid later.
        Last edited by BOSCO1970; 03-07-2008, 04:05 PM.
        BOSCO

Comment

I am in the process of doing a library right now and just finished the coffer ceiling.

I did it a little different than Gary shows in his book, but he was HUGE help with the process and credit a lot of it to him.

I did the braces like he shows, but then used 3/4" ply for the sides and beam bottoms. I assembled the beam sides on the floor, then lifted them up and nailed them. I then used cap moulding to cover the ply edges. Then used 4 /14" cron in side.

I must say I was really blessed through the whole process. All of the snap lines might work out ok, and all of the braces might looked lined up, but you really won't know until you get the beams together and installed. The house is from the late 1800's and the room I did it in was a polygon, and one wall was sloped 45 degrees about 24" from the ceiling, which I then had to cover with the perimeter coffer.

This was the first time I had done one, but I did not do this alone, the Lord was with me.

Kevin
          Attached Files
          Kevin

"As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received."

Comment

It is all done out of walnut ply and walnut solid wood.
            Attached Files
            Kevin

"As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received."

Comment

kevin,
              looks like a a high end job, can't wait to get one of these babies under my belt.
              brian
              BOSCO

Comment

I usually use veneer core plywood for backer, cheapest 'finish' plywood I can find. This ceiling was 3/4 Poplar, the crown was FJ Poplar, and the bolection molding was poplar.
                Attached Files
                There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

Comment

Tischler,
                  Again Looks Fantastic, You Guys Are Excellent Craftsman, I Will Aspire To Live Up To These Creations.
                  Again Keep Posting More Info On Useful Techniques, Do'd And Don't All Advice Is Helpful And Greatly Appreciated.
                  Brian

Come On The Irish!!!!!!!!
                  BOSCO

Comment

Bosco-

I used GK's method and employed MDF for beam sides and bottom. The method was awesome, made great time. Would problably not use MDF for the Beam bottom again unless cost mandated: When the light hits it I can see my nailing pattern slightly puckering out on the beam bottom. MDF is so dense that when you nail the end grain the material displaced by the nail has nowhere to go but out.

That being said, I also wouldn't want to use cheap finger-joint, because it is never straight and would make installation a fight. Windsor one would be ideal for this application

Comment

Originally posted by BOSCO1970 View Post
                      Tischler,
                      Again Looks Fantastic, You Guys Are Excellent Craftsman, I Will Aspire To Live Up To These Creations.
                      Again Keep Posting More Info On Useful Techniques, Do'd And Don't All Advice Is Helpful And Greatly Appreciated.
                      Brian

Come On The Irish!!!!!!!!

I can't speak for the other guys, but the Lord was really with me when I did this. This is the first one I have ever done and am still amazed how it came out. I wouldn't call myself an "excellent craftsman," I still have a lot to learn.
                      Kevin

Comment

Not sure what the Katz method is, but on paint grade, I usually rip 2x to the appropriate width of the beams, GRKem (double layers) to the ceilng, then bevel cut all my MDF and glue up hinging with tape, then cross shoot with brads every 4" or so, let dry then trim and lift into position. I shoot the laser around the room first and make reference lines, (cheated where needed to make the final look right) and I short the beams height accordingly to the lowest part of the ceiling leaving gaps at the higher part of the ceiling. The gaps are then covered wth crown.

Kye
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Kye GC; 03-08-2008, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Just so you know how popular Gary is up here in Canada his book sells for $146.60 USED at Amazon.ca.... and they go up. http://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listin...070134&sr=8-25

You have to wounder sometimes... I can't get a full quote on the Reassaue (SP is wrong I know) table and outfeed. OK I'm finished complaining... for now... wait till I go and dig out my car & truck... LOL

One day I want to do a coffered ceiling I hope when I do it keeps up to not only my standards but all of yours.
                          David Tuttle

Comment

Originally posted by texastutt
                            Just so you know how popular Gary is up here in Canada his book sells for $146.60 USED at Amazon.ca.... and they go up. http://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listin...070134&sr=8-25
                            Damn, TT! That is plain old crazy! Are you sure the price doesn't include being delivered by Gary himself, and he gives you a 2 hour personal, one on one training session? :)
                            Tom

Support your country always, support your government only when they deserve it! - Mark Twain
                            This fall, fire them all, DON'T RE-ELECT ANYONE!

Comment

Originally posted by texastutt View Post
                              Just so you know how popular Gary is up here in Canada his book sells for $146.60 USED at Amazon.ca.... and they go up.
                              I'll be back shortly - when I return, the beer's on me. (Heads for the border with a passport in one hand & a stack of Gary's books in the other)...
                              Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X