Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Global Cooling is it natural fluctuation?

I lifted this from www.dailytech.com:

A twelve-month long drop in world temperatures erases global warming

Over the past year, anecdotal evidence for a cooling planet has exploded. China has its coldest winter in 100 years. Baghdad sees its first snow in all recorded history. North America has the most snowcover in 50 years, with places like Wisconsin the highest since record-keeping began. Record levels of Antarctic sea ice, record cold in Minnesota, Texas, Florida, Mexico, Australia, Iran, Greece, South Africa, Greenland, Argentina, Chile -- the list goes on and on.

No more than anecdotal evidence, to be sure. But now, that evidence has been supplanted by hard scientific fact. All four major global temperature tracking outlets (Hadley, NASA's GISS, UAH, RSS) have released updated data. All show that over the past year, global temperatures have dropped precipitously.

Meteorologist Anthony Watts compiled the results (http://tinyurl.com/2z8dux) of all the sources. The total amount of cooling ranges from 0.65C up to 0.75C -- a value large enough to erase nearly all the global warming recorded over the past 100 years. All in one year time. For all sources, it's the single fastest temperature change every recorded, either up or down.

Scientists quoted in a past DailyTech article link the cooling to reduced solar activity which they claim is a much larger driver of climate change than man-made greenhouse gases. The dramatic cooling seen in just 12 months time seems to bear that out. While the data doesn't itself disprove that carbon dioxide is acting to warm the planet, it does demonstrate clearly that more powerful factors are now cooling it.

Let's hope those factors stop fast. Cold is more damaging than heat. The mean temperature of the planet is about 54 degrees. Humans -- and most of the crops and animals we depend on -- prefer a temperature closer to 70.

Historically, the warm periods such as the Medieval Climate Optimum were beneficial for civilization. Corresponding cooling events such as the Little Ice Age, though, were uniformly bad news.

End of quoted article

Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington

Default Re: Global Cooling is it natural fluctuation?

Let's wait and see what President Obama says.

Quote Originally Posted by David Meiland View Post
    Let's wait and see what President Obama says.

No, let's wait and see what OwlGore says. "Er....ah.....Mmm...."

Can't believe the people from the dailytech cause they are all on the take from the oil industry, and besides, they're not "real" scientists" anyway. Their thermometers were broken or not calibrated. Yea. That's it. That's the ticket. And they were made in China. Yea. And they got so bounced around in the shipping containers they exploded. Yea.

So what! OwlGore has already made millions, along with many others.

Do we really need TWO threads on climate change?

Joe C's gonna be piiiiiissed... :)

Let's look at those numbers next year, and see if it continues. Because right now, all I see is: a sudden, dramatic, unprecedented, unpredictable change - which they did (all jokes aside) predict as one side-effect of global warming.

This shouldn't be news to anyone - well, not to anyone who's ever taken the time to read a little bit about the theory, anyways.

So there's a sudden, short-term swing downwards - one year's worth - and you guys want to use it as an indication that the long-term trend doesn't exist, or has stopped?

In an el nina year, to boot?

Uh-huh...

Let's look at it again in a year - all I'm saying.
    Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

I can concede and agree to that. It makes "scientific" logic.

Huh?

...oh, I get it! You mean the part about Joe C. being pissed at another climate thread!

:D
    Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

I've never been able to understand the crowd that so badly wants to deny the FACT that global warming is real. It really is unfortunate. Even after all the proof that PROVES it's happening, you still want to deny it. And let's just say for sake of conversation that it is not warming, what is so wrong with the idea of changing our own personal habits and our behaviors toward corporations that openly pollute the **** out of every god damn thing they can pollute and just pay a small fine that our ever so trustworthy administration administers to them.
    Is it really that difficult for you cons......... to respect the environment and maybe just maybe make the place a little better than it was and wouldn't your god who supposedly built this beautiful, most sacred thing ever created planet just for you, appreciate you picking up your **** and telling others to do the same?

Such introverted anger. Join Earth Liberation Front and learn to turn your rage on a high power line, Hummer dealership, or an ever-expanding ski resort such as Vail. Just don't touch Aspen! Your Hollywood comrades would NEVER forgive you.
    Richie Poor

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, value engineer your unit prices.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchie View Post

In an el nina year, to boot?
    It's 'la nina'. And I thought Spanglish was similar to French...
    Richie Poor

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, value engineer your unit prices.

Quote Originally Posted by kddsunshine View Post
    I've never been able to understand the crowd that so badly wants to deny the FACT that global warming is real.
    I know, that kind of ignorance makes me mad enough to club a baby seal.
    "I'll bend over backwards to help anybody, but I ain't bending over forwards for nobody"

Paul

Wow...

Think I'll stick to the other thread.
    Francois

I agree 100% with the "Kid." Except for the assumption that GW is man made. Funny how GW and GC in the past millions of years occurred without man even being on the planet. Maybe dinosaurs were burning too much oil.

No one should pollute anything to a large degree, and that includes attempts to pollute my mind!

" THE PLANET HAS A FEVER" BY AL gore :(
    JASON

"The measure of success is how high you bounce after you hit bottom"

George S. Patton

www.jmsbuildersandremodelers.com
    (shameless plug for the google bots)

Piece of cake. All we have to do is get everyone to throw an aspirin into their local body of water. Ocean beach dwellers, two aspirins. Then call Al in a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Lykos View Post
    Piece of cake. All we have to do is get everyone to throw an aspirin into their local body of water. Ocean beach dwellers, two aspirins. Then call Al in a day or two.
    No, no Sonny

Can't do that a whale might swallow one and fall ill or WORSE!!!!!!!!

I think mabey we should try the diplomatic approach and talk to the planet surley it must understand reasoning :((((((((

Careful fellas lots of sarcasm in there don't trip now, ya hear?
    JASON

"The measure of success is how high you bounce after you hit bottom"

George S. Patton

www.jmsbuildersandremodelers.com
    (shameless plug for the google bots)