Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Cgr Caps Certs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cgr Caps Certs?

I have spent the last couple of days looking into finally getting my certification as a certified graduate remodeler, I have contacted my trade organization and they were'nt that helpful in telling me what all must be completed as well as when and where it can be completed at. Their sales people told me I had to register for the coursework and it isn't until the end of next year. As much as I tried to pull info out of them, they didn't let nearly enough info go. (My thoughts are they didn't know either) Is this only able to be done 1 a year?

I have to believe there is another way. I am planning on jlc ri in march and was considering coursework there but I would like to get moving on this. Anyone have more info, experiance, or helpful links?

thanks all
    JASON

"The measure of success is how high you bounce after you hit bottom"

George S. Patton

www.jmsbuildersandremodelers.com
    (shameless plug for the google bots)

Re: Cgr Caps Certs?

seems like a gimmick to me but to each his own.

what do you need to know? have you been here?
    http://www.nahb.org/generic.aspx?sec...ContentID=8953

$175 to take the initial test
    then course fees
    Graduation fees???- that sounds like a ripoff
    Jeff

When all else fails read the instuctions

Comment

I have thought about it, but other than sounding official, I am relatively sure that 99.9% of the population does not know or care what a CGR is. The only people that MIGHT know what it means are contractors that are CGRs themselves.

CGR designation is not going to make your miters tighter or your drywall finish smoother. These are the things that customers care about.

Do I think it's a racket? Not sure. I'm sure you do learn some great things about running a business. But spending 2 hours a day on these forums will get you a lot further IMO.

Tell me I'm wrong...
      Your source for:
      Decks • Deck Design • Porches • Railings • Pergolas in Bergen County New Jersey
      Remodeling and Home Improvements in Bergen County | EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor
      Techno Metal Post: Helical Foundation Piles in New Jersey
      Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Comment

Thanks for the link Jeff. and your thoughts Greg. My line of thinking is in any type of competitive bid situation this can obviously work in my favor such as a marketing tool if nothing else. I alway try to stay on top of continuing education not only b/c I genuinely love the industry I'm in but it makes my company better overall. Yes there is an argument that the forums might be more informative than any accredidation but jlc isn't giving me any fancy shmancy titles lol. Besides that I really don't think any of us want our clients reading some of our past posts ;(
        JASON

George S. Patton

Comment

I agree with official- take the test. I also agree with Greg, maybe in your market no one knows what a CGR is but the education is the main benefit. Don't try to nickel and dime on the cost, education is expensive. Even if it costs a couple grand its cheaper than taking those same classes at a university- and WAY cheaper than learning those lessons the hard way!

Suppose you had to apply for the job of running your own company; how would your education and experience stack up in these critical skills:

Marketing & Sales
          Customer Service

Business Administration
          Negotiating Skills
          Business Accounting & Job Cost

Design, Estimating & Job Cost
          Estimating for Builders & Remodelers
          Quality Construction

Contracts, Liability & Risk Management
          Construction Contracts & Law
          Negotiating Skills
          Risk Management and Insurance for Building Professionals

Project Management
          Off-Site Project Management
          On-Site Project Management
          Scheduling
          Giovanni

What's the REAL cost of doing it on the cheap?

Comment

Ah Giovanni how are you,

Yes I agree with all of the thought process. I spend alot of time and money every year on continuing education as well as factory training in certain products. I am doing this no matter what any one says or thinks but I was hoping for a mor streamlined process.

I did hear back from my local building assosiacition today and there are actually classes at the local community college so I will go that route. After taking the PEERS testit looks as though I won't have to do to much course work afterall. I might learn something or not but at least it will set me apart from my competition depending on how I choose to market it.
            JASON

George S. Patton

Comment

I attained the CGR about 5 years ago, and continued on getting involved with being certified as a Trainer/teacher for many of the above listed classes.

Its like reading a good book on Solar....now you know things you didn't....but how do you use them??? The certifications such as CGR, CGB, GMB, etc.. are more of an announcement that "I care about my business, so I continue to learn about estimating, marketing, supervision, etc.

Has the initials helped me get a project? I'd like to think so, but if dealing with a bargain hunter it won't help. However, if you don't use it during the sales call then any number of initials won't help you stand out! I believe you make it work for you!

Now on a side note, the NAHB CGR test is interesting. You take what I seem to recall is a 4 hr test, then the results tell what classes you have to take, and which ones they feel you are proficient in! I don't think it's very scientific because they charge for the extra classes which are usually taught by a local HBA, and there are also classes(limited) at the JLC shows, therefore no one can pass everything! Now in my case, after 20+ years being a commercial superintendent/project manager I had to take both onsite and off-site project management, but I didn't have to take stuff I thought I didn't know! Go figure!

Jason
              The classes are held at HBAs in every state, so if you check the schedule on the NAHB.org site, you can usually find one within a few hours drive time to accelerate the attainment. I've taken classes in state, at JLC in Prov, and at the Builders Show in FL. It all depends on timing. I'm still waiting though for one class to complete the GMB rating!
              Take Care

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by James Eggert View Post
                I attained the CGR about 5 years ago, and continued on getting involved with being certified as a Trainer/teacher for many of the above listed classes.

Its like reading a good book on Solar....now you know things you didn't....but how do you use them??? The certifications such as CGR, CGB, GMB, etc.. are more of an announcement that "I care about my business, so I continue to learn about estimating, marketing, supervision, etc.

Has the initials helped me get a project? I'd like to think so, but if dealing with a bargain hunter it won't help. However, if you don't use it during the sales call then any number of initials won't help you stand out! I believe you make it work for you!

Now on a side note, the NAHB CGR test is interesting. You take what I seem to recall is a 4 hr test, then the results tell what classes you have to take, and which ones they feel you are proficient in! I don't think it's very scientific because they charge for the extra classes which are usually taught by a local HBA, and there are also classes(limited) at the JLC shows, therefore no one can pass everything! Now in my case, after 20+ years being a commercial superintendent/project manager I had to take both onsite and off-site project management, but I didn't have to take stuff I thought I didn't know! Go figure!

Jason
                The classes are held at HBAs in every state, so if you check the schedule on the NAHB.org site, you can usually find one within a few hours drive time to accelerate the attainment. I've taken classes in state, at JLC in Prov, and at the Builders Show in FL. It all depends on timing. I'm still waiting though for one class to complete the GMB rating!
                Hey Jim,

Thanks for getting my jist and your post was informative I will try to go that route. Since you have attained the title is there anything else you can add in specific? I guess I am just making sure this is worth it or if I should keep continuing with the structural eng. slow go process. To each his own I know but i see the value in this cert
                JASON

George S. Patton

Comment

Jason, based upon my son's success, I'd get it them. Since receiving them, being on the Remodeler's Council, state co-chair of NAHB, it has been tremendous to his networking. He gives classes for contractors, gives seminars at high end furniture stores here for their designers and clients, and other attribute PR and marketing that has allowed him to be so busy while others are crying for work.

Everything like this is just one more tool for marketing and branding.

Comment

Point taken, This was part of my original thought process. The actual speaking and training engagements sound like great networking functions and probably are great for getting the name and associated branding out there even more.

By the way thanks again for contributing all.
                    JASON

George S. Patton

Comment

Jason
                      As Sonny indicated, once you get started, the association among other peers AND those still in the learning mode, continues to grow. Most builders I know who gain a cert usually get involved more with their local HBA.

Now, you don't have to be a member of NAHB to take these classes and gain the initials, but it is pretty much standard procedure.

I'm not sure what additional info you would like???
                      Take Care

Jim

Comment

Jason
                        As Sonny indicated, once you get started, the association among other peers AND those still in the learning mode, continues to grow. Most builders I know who gain a cert usually get involved more with their local HBA.

Now, you don't have to be a member of NAHB to take these classes and gain the initials, but it is pretty much standard procedure.

I'm not sure what additional info you would like???
                        Thanks Jim,

I guess it would be on the lines of how you would succesfully market the certification, tips, tricks, pitfalls, ect. In ohio we have PRO professional remodelers of ohio The old NARI. is there a differance between nahb and or pro? besides the obvious
                        JASON

George S. Patton

Comment

Jason
                          Somehow your question on nahb and nari fell thru the cracks.

nari is still going strong in some areas, however, nahb is around 350,000 members last time i checked. In some areas nari is joining up with nahb mostly so classes are allowed credit from either program. I do not know how many members nari has?

http://www.nahb.org/meeting_search.a...derBy=location

The above link is for upcoming classes in CT, but if you check the pages you will note other states are also active in education. Notice please there are 27 pages of education classes for around the country, so find your state and check into it!!
                          Last edited by James Eggert; 07-13-2008, 10:00 AM.
                          Take Care

Jim

Comment

Jason
                            Somehow your question on nahb and nari fell thru the cracks.

nari is still going strong in some areas, however, nahb is around 350,000 members last time i checked. In some areas nari is joining up with nahb mostly so classes are allowed credit from either program. I do not know how many members nari has?

http://www.nahb.org/meeting_search.a...derBy=location

The above link is for upcoming classes in CT, but if you check the pages you will note other states are also active in education. Notice please there are 27 pages of education classes for around the country, so find your state and check into it!!
                            Thanks for thinking of me Jim, I actually scored well on the peers test I only have 2 classes to take to attain the title. I'm still undecided weather or not to go to Baltimore or wait until they are available here in october. Good link though
                            JASON

George S. Patton

Comment

Working...
                            X