Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

JLC University - Project Completion System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JLC University - Project Completion System

As I mentioned on another thread, a few decades ago I created some forms, one for each trade that we performed, or subbed out. They were to control the process and quality of ever aspect of our jobs. Back then we used dot matrix printers and all I could find in my old files were three of them: roofing, Drywall, and Interior Painting. I ended up calling them CSCSs - Conformance Standard Control Sheets.

To be honest, I forgot about them, other wise when moving to Naples, I would have created new, updated versions and used them on our jobs. They would have saved some aggravation.

Production starts with the estimate, how it was estimated, what was included, how the job was passed on from the sales dept. to the production dept. So no project can be expected to be done unless controls are created, disseminated and acted upon to everyone involved in order to create a sense of “accountability.”

So attached are those three old forms in pdf format. Perhaps their concept can generate some discussion.

Incidentally, since we had a roofing division back then, the graph section allowed me to create an aerial view of the roof.
    Attached Files

Re: JLC University - Project Completion System

the concept although somewhat repetitve ie:clean up ect Would prove benificial in a couple of ways. One would be for myself when i have bids out on 10 diferant jobs sometimes things will start to run together in my head and on my notes, I like the idea of having a quick visual referance to keep everyting straight. Secondly I Love the repetitiveness of cleanup, takeoff on litilest of things, this would really help a lead or forman makesure expectations of the company and the client are met in accordance of what was disscused between the sales and the client. Some of my lead guys (and myself at times) are guilty of pushing for a great quality project completed on or ahead of schedule that we temporarily lose sight of the intangibles that set us apart from other contractors. like a super clean up or protecting the landscaping ect By having the checklist it helps one to focus on the overall picture of our continued branding and marketing efforts not just beauttiful projects.

Alright it's official I'm getting excited, I'm going to play around with Excel and quickbooks to see if I cant tweak these forms
    JASON

"The measure of success is how high you bounce after you hit bottom"

George S. Patton

www.jmsbuildersandremodelers.com
    (shameless plug for the google bots)

Comment

Jason, that was my purpose. Just to throw out a couple of ideas via those forms. I'm still looking for my old original Bathroom ad Kitchen remodeling checklist.

I created them as a reminder to me to check this and that, look for potential hidden problems, etc. That's when I decided to so "invasive inspections", but only when I and the HO were pretty sure I had the job. For example, if I thought a stud or two behind a toilet was decayed from leakage, I'd cut out a small section of drywall to see. I used to tel the HO that neither they nor I wanted surprises. Me cause it screws up the job flow, and them because if there were potential problems, they would prefer to have their repair costs included in the final price as opposed to an unexpected Change Order.

Still looking for them, although I think i originally got them when I was a member of the Kitchen & Bath Association. http://www.nkba.org/

Comment

Great suff Sonny. As always, you cover a lot of areas that some(many) of us overlook when doing our estimates.

We will be adapting them for use way up here in the frozen tundra..

Gary

Comment

Thanks, Gary. I have to keep getting this stuff out that I have up here or in old files. If figure that even if only 10% of it is valuable to anyone, that's better than "0". At least before Alzheimers or worse get's me.

Comment

As a guy who always has a list going for something I like these forms. Always helpful to see what others are doing and adding a bit to what I already have. Actually what I have is less which does make me miss things sometimes.

Comment

There is a comprehensive list of Checklists for Remodelers that take jobs for pre-planning to job closing available from a company that has books listed in the JLC books sections. I have used these checklists for over a year, and find the only time they are not helpful is when we don't use them.
              They are for sale online, but since I am not affiliated with that company and don't want to "advertise" here on the forum, you can send me a PM and I'll give you the information if interested.
              Kenney H

"There is no great mystery to satisfying your customers. Build them a quality product and treat them with respect. It's that simple." Lee Iacocca

Comment

If you're not affiliated with the company, and they have books for sale in the JLC bookstore, it's not spamming for you to mention them by name. Feel free to post them.

Thanks for the checklist, Sonny - a couple of things were definitely missing from mine... fixed, now.
                Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Comment

If it is allowed, then I do recommend the checklists offered by Tim Faller of Field Training Services. His book the Lead Carpenter Handbook is available on JLC's website, and the checklists are available from his website. There is a very good sample posted on his site http://www.leadcarpenter.com/products.html
                  It has been my experience that the cost of most tools is minimal when used properly. These checklists are no exception.
                  Kenney H

"There is no great mystery to satisfying your customers. Build them a quality product and treat them with respect. It's that simple." Lee Iacocca

Comment

Fellas, I continually look for ways to separate myself from competitors when meeting for the first time with a potential customer.

By creating your own CSCS, and showing the customer, even leaving a copy with them serves a few purposes:

1. Each one details the pains you go to to assure each thing is done right.

2. They make the customer aware of the not so simple aspect of what needs to be done, if done correctly.

3. By receiving a copy when completed, they are assured that even though they may not have been present when the work was being done, it was done correctly, and signed by the worker.

So these not only become an opportunity to better organize a project, be used as a checklist, but as a marketing tool as well. Remember,to the public, all contractors flap their lips about this and that, including the over used word “quality.” But they rarely give customers something substantive to touch and feel, read, or watch, and the "watching" is another opportunity to separate yourself from your competitors, while simultaneously educating the customer.

Comment

Along the same lines as what Sonny said about showing proof of what exactly

you have done, a while back I started to take pictures of job progress (and lots

of them) and throw them all into a photo album to give to the customer when

the project is complete.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny Lykos View Post
                        Remember,to the public, all contractors flap their lips about this and that, including the over used word “quality.” But they rarely give customers something substantive to touch and feel, read, or watch, and the "watching" is another opportunity to separate yourself from your competitors, while simultaneously educating the customer.
                        GOLDEN!

Thanks Sonny

Comment

You're welcome. I'm just suggesting what has worked for be from starting as a handyman, to remodeler, to builder/remodeler, back to remodeler, and back to handyman.

Regardless of what I was at the time, what I mentioned always got me at least an 85% or better sales closing rate - at my price. Verbiage MUST be backed up with hard copy, otherwise they remain mere words. And by doing so, sometimes people will upgrade the job themselves.

I went on a sales call today for a couple in a subdivision where I do a lot of both private and condo work. Decent size master bathroom with a large platform tub, butted against a glassed in shower, 72" vanity with double bowels separated by the toilet area with about a 42" high wall. She initially wanted to change the tub to a regular tub, new door & drawer fronts for the vanities, and possibly change the tile in the shower and on the floor, plus change the shower glass door & walls. I gave her a ball park of about $10K. She upgraded herself into gutting the entire bathroom, and then started talking about getting the "mess" all done in on sweep, and having me remodel the kitchen too. And I never once talked her into any upgrading other than her original idea.

I brought samples of fancier casing and baseboard, photos of tile, photo of a nice frameless shower door and glass assembly, my idea of a white polyester shower curb top and sides - showed her a sample I also had with me .

But when I started having her look at some plumbing fixtures on the web (I had my laptop), liked my suggestion about me insulating a new tub, and a few photos of bathrooms, she said: "Heck with it", let's redo the whole bathroom. And I want that terrible popcorn removed from the ceiling. Fortunately for me, she knew two of the people whose same bathroom I'd remodeled and saw them and told me they were thrilled with their baths and how I did them. I hate to use the word again, but my "brand" had them presold on my anyway.

It all works.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny Lykos View Post
                            Verbiage MUST be backed up with hard copy, otherwise they remain mere words. And by doing so, sometimes people will upgrade the job themselves.
                            This is so true. Your sales meeting with your client sounds just like the way mine went. Done well, the sales process is so seamless the client does not even know you are selling to them. But selling should be another thread all together.

The difference between the true professional and the rest, (in my opinion,) is the accuracy of your documentation. The better you documentation the more accurate your estimate, the more likely your crews and subs will do the work “as estimated” and the more likely your customer will be satisfied with your completed work. All this translates; of course, to the more likely you will make a healthy profit.

Our paper work looks different but essentially accomplishes the same goal. Discover what needs to be done, measure and investigate it carefully, describe it in terms that “everyone” will understand, provide copies for “everyone” to sign off on, collect the down payment and get to work. By everyone, I mean the homeowner, the field crew and subs, the salesman and production manager, even the suppliers. Our system is pretty complex and takes a more up front time than many guys are willing to invest but our success rate insured that it was time well spent. In over twenty years in business, I collected every dime I honestly believed I earned. The key is solid documentation, documentation that an attorney would be proud of.

For us it started with the Kitchen or Bath Surveys, or if a large whole house project, it might also include the Measuring and Inventory Check list. This check list covered every detail of the house and when completed, and with the dozens of photos we also took, we would have all the information about all the work that might ever possibly be needed on this house. Typically, we never had to return to the house again to complete our detailed Estimate and Specification Worksheet and a detailed set of Plans. In addition to these documents we also included a Product Selection Worksheet which included all products to be selected by the homeowner. When the job was complete we would provide an up to date copy of this document including every model and part number and even the paint colors.

When everything is documented in this manner, the client relaxes long before the job even begins, as they know that in the end they will get just what they were willing to pay for. When your clients are this confident in you, they become very easy people to work with. In fact they won’t ever complain about anything you might have forgotten or over looked, because they “know” that you did your best to cover everything. After all, we are just human.

I have attached one of the documents to here. I can only attaché in .pdf on this forum. If you want them in a Word.doc or want to know more, contact me directly.

Tim Faller is a very good resource. I second gkhack’s recommendation.

And Frenchie, (you’ve probably heard this before,) but… I personally could careless about the glass. I’m more interested in “what’s in” that glass.
                            Attached Files
                            Rick

"I never had a policy; I have just tried to do my very best each and every day." ~Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Rick, my hat is off to you. You are one on the ball guy. Great forms.

Sonny

Comment

Working...
                              X