Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Retrofitting kerf in "Q lon type weatherstripping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrofitting kerf in "Q lon type weatherstripping

I've got a job to replace the weather stripping on a bunch of old doors and I'm curious if others are retro kerfing stop for qlon type weather stripping. I've never seen stick on type hold up (especially on old doors with 100 years of built up uneven paint shmutz) and I just don't like v bronze. I know there is a router setup but I can't find it through google. Anyone have a setup for this?

Kyr

Re: Retrofitting kerf in "Q lon type weatherstripping

I've seen this ad for years in FH: www.conservationtechnology.com

-Mark

Comment

well, i do a TON of weatherstripping jobs (pretty much cause i'm one of the only guys in charlotte that does interlock weatherstripping)... when you mean "retrofit" do you mean kerf the stop? or just move the stop back from the door to allow room for qlon?
      if you're going to put the v-cushion weatherstripping back on and have any questions let me know
      Donald
      Sure Lock, Inc.
      __________________________________________________ _____________

"Always do the best work possible. Leave the job-sites saying, 'I did great work today!' And you should be charging in the top 10-20%. Your customers will be saying, 'That guy is very expensive! But he's worth it!!!' ". -GK

Comment

Donald,
        Q-lon is only used on exterior doors which have solid one piece jambs. The stop typically cannot be "moved", only cut.

Making this cut and kerfing into the corners and to the bottom will be tricky. I would install jamb-up weatherstripping, a new jamb, or a prehung door with Q-lon. You might put yourself out too much to save them a buck.
        Brian

Comment

There are Q-lon weather strips now that are applied on the surface of the door stops just like we install the other kind that screws on the surface of the door stops.
          You can not just make a kerf on an existing door jamb and install the Q-lon.
          First you will need to cut and reduce the width of the door stops on the door side to make room for the Q-lon or the door will not close because of the Q-lon being in the way.
          You will need to cut about 1/2" to accomodate the Q-lon.
          Home Depot sells Q-lon sets that screw on the door stop and there is a store in my area that sells the same system but slicker designed.
          Al
          Al
          www.multiblades.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kye
            and I just don't like v bronze
            Kye:

What do you have against interlocking? I've arbitrated at least one case where two ladies had a 20s Craftsman home with interlocking, they bought a new fancy front door with Q-lon and were so unhappy that they filed a complaint against the contractor. I ruled against the contractor, that plastic weatherstripping was beneath industry standards in an older home, particularly when the homeowner is use to positive bronze interlocking weatherstripping. The older lady had problems compressing the weatherstripping and the contractor had adjusted it several times for her, only to be repeatedly called back.
            "The only communists left in the world are in American Universities."

--Mikhail Gorbachev

Comment

I've done this....One door was 1 3/4 typical and they wanted 2-1/4 thick. This was a pair of 3/0 arched doors on a 6" jamb. I tacked on a stop, set my router and increased the jamb to accept the 2-1/4 thick doors plus kurf w/s. the kurf was made with a dremmel and a cutting disc. The hard part was where the arch met the plumb jambs. This area was done with a flex shaft on the dremmel and a cutting bit( like a drill bit). It took some time, 3-4 hrs but the goof-up ,if any, gets covered by the weather strip. A chinese saw was helpful too. Hope the customer is not a tight-wad.

Comment

Originally posted by Mueller Construction View Post
                Donald,
                Q-lon is only used on exterior doors which have solid one piece jambs. The stop typically cannot be "moved", only cut.

Making this cut and kerfing into the corners and to the bottom will be tricky. I would install jamb-up weatherstripping, a new jamb, or a prehung door with Q-lon. You might put yourself out too much to save them a buck.

i dont know what you were trying to say by saying qlon is only used on exteriors... i dont know why you would use it on an interior (besides an attic door or a sound proof door)... but either way, i disagree that most exterior doors have solid jambs... at least not around here... if its prehung it might, but i rarely work on prehung units...

but i do agree with the person that mentioned the qlon that is already applied on a small door stop... i've installed that before and its nice... but not near as nice as interlock :)
                Donald
                Sure Lock, Inc.

"Always do the best work possible. Leave the job-sites saying, 'I did great work today!' And you should be charging in the top 10-20%. Your customers will be saying, 'That guy is very expensive! But he's worth it!!!' ". -GK

Comment

I agree with Mark G, Conservation Technologies has a great tool for retrofitting with silicon gaskets, properly sized and installed there should be no problems with fit for pretty much every situation. I've used their products for years with excellent results. The gasket-routing gizmo is a little pricey but paid for itself on the first decent job.
                  MW

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aikg6OP3jwU

Comment

With Q-Lon you'd be able to break in and get your sh!t back.
                      Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
                      Website - Facebook

Comment

was that directed towards me andrew?
                        Donald
                        Sure Lock, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by SureLockInc View Post
                          i dont know what you were trying to say by saying qlon is only used on exteriors... i dont know why you would use it on an interior (besides an attic door or a sound proof door)... but either way, i disagree that most exterior doors have solid jambs... at least not around here... if its prehung it might, but i rarely work on prehung units...
                          :)
                          Donald,
                          We are in agreement; Q-lon is only used on exterior doorways. In CA, exterior jambs are typically one piece 1 ¼ “ solid or fingerjoint fir or pine… no removable stop.

Dick,
                          There is no doubt bronze interlocking weatherstripping is the most high-end looking product available, but I doubt if it is the best seal. Imagine hypothetically using it on your refrigerator to replace the q-lon type product that is on there now. The motor would never stop running.
                          As to the case you arbitrated, a skilled door installer could have fixed that by readjusting the strike plate rather allowing it to escalate to the Contractor’s Board. Q-lon is a proven product used on nearly all pre-hung and custom hung doors nowadays that allows the door to close like car door. Interlocking weatherstripping is a nice product but is expensive and typically only used on extremely high end doors. Furthermore, the installers are nearly extinct around here.
                          Besides, it seems the lady had a problem with function, not aesthetics.
                          Brian

Comment

The solid jambs referred to above are called rabbited jambs here in the East. I don't see many of them anymore.

I would agree that compression weatherstripping, properly installed, is likely more weather tight than bronze or zinc interlocking, but the look and "character" of the interlocking system is more to my liking. That said, the doors I make and install on our high end houses, all 2 1/4" thick, are set with Q-lon and bronze interlocking saddles.
                            Visit www.peercon.com

Comment

We've made door stop to replace the old WSx type of weatherstripping that takes Q lon. We just make a flat stop 1/2' thick with a saw kerf taken out of the backside to accept the q lon. Works great.
                              "You couldn't do it and they didn't help.."

Comment

Working...
                              X