Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default NAHB Show Orlando

Anyone going to the show next month?

I'm planning on going, will be 1st time.

If you've been there before what did you come away with?

Any suggestions?
    Rob

Default Re: NAHB Show Orlando

Quote Originally Posted by rwtapp View Post
    Anyone going to the show next month?

I'm planning on going, will be 1st time.

If you've been there before what did you come away with?

Any suggestions?
    I've been going since 1980 and I'm going this year, its a great way to learn and see new products. There are also dozens (maybe hundreds?) of seminars to attend.

Suggestions:

Learn the layout, the buildings are huge.

Plan before hand which seminars to attend. Those you miss, CD's that record the seminars can be bought.

Visit the NAHB Bookstore.

Main thing is, recognize that between the new products and the seminars there is a just a tremendous amount to learn and explore. I've made the mistake of taking too many notes, buying too many books, trying to gobble up too much information. Now, I try to learn just 3-4 new things, buy 1-2 books, and find 3-4 new building products or software or whatever I can really use and put in place.

You will enjoy yourself.

This will be my 6th year and I look forward to it each year. It is one of the best thing I do for my buisness. Great advice Alan on the preplanning as it can be overwhelming.

I enjoy the semiars the most and the Nextbuild exibits. If you login to the builders show web site you can create your schedule there and print it off for the show.
    -Dan

I'll be there, hope it's 80 that week. Staying in New Smyrna and driving over, bike week and Daytona, February is great in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew R. View Post
    I'll be there, hope it's 80 that week. Staying in New Smyrna and driving over, bike week and Daytona, February is great in Florida.
    Andrew:

Let's try to connect, I've been meeting JLC'ers at the show for a few years now. We can meet at Bill R's setup, he usually has a couple of hoties as assistants.

All the suggestions posted are good. A few more:

The scale is enormous, plan plenty of time, up to a 1/2 hour to get between locations. Think of the biggest airport you've been in on a Friday afternoon. This could be bigger with more people.

If you go into a seminar and it isn't meeting your expectations, it's OK to leave and have a back-up plan for that time. Once in a while a seminar isn't what I expected and often there's something else I'd rather go see.

If there are certain vendors you really want to see, get a map of the show floor beforehand and plot your work plan out.

Vendor booths can be very busy and they bring a lot of staff from all levels and areas of the company. If you want to get into detail with a particular vendor on a particular subject, it's good to make an appointment and find out who at the show would be the best person to talk to.

Wear comfortable shoes. You'll be doing a lot of walking.

Eat at off times. The food service at the Orlando Convention Center is the worst I've seen. It's very, very slow. So, at the normal times the wait time is excruciating. You can spend a lot of time waiting in line. Another option is to eat a big breakfast before the show and take something to snack on.

Travel light and have the vendors mail you whatever you want. The vendors have loads of stuff to hand out and you can wind up collecting a ton of stuff. Many of them hand out large "trick or treat" bags with their logos on it to carry all of this in. I've found that it's just a pain. Unless I absolutely have to have it that week, I have them mail it to me so I don't have to carry it all around at the show. You'll see some attendees with little wheeled carts collecting stuff. That's an option, too.

Drink a lot of water. The air inside is dry.

If you like to have fun, ask your suppliers if they're hosting any events. The suppliers put on some wonderful events. Many of them are by invite only.

Plan plenty of time to get to the show in the morning. Traffic can be horrible. If you rent a car and park in an out lot, just getting from the parking lot to show halls can take a long time.

Make sure you go to the Builder's Bookstore. There are a huge selection of excellent books on all facets of the business. You can browse through them there and see which ones you like best. If I recall, you may be able to buy them at the show at a discount and have them shipped to you. I'm not sure on this, but do go to the bookstore. It is usually centrally located.

The variety of seminars is amazing. I think it's good to get a balance of them, ones that are in your areas of natural talents you want to learn more about and ones that are in key area that will help drive your business to new levels that you may not have a natural talent or interest in.

It's a great way to find talent that can help you build your business. Many of the speakers are consultants who specialize in homebuilding and have a track record of helping their clients make more money, have more fun and delight their customers. I spoke last year and it was an excellent experience. I plan to do it again in '09.

It's a great chance to network. While there are more than 120,000 folks there, don't be afraid to ask anyone questions, vendors, speakers or other builders there. It's a very friendly group. Everyone is there to have fun, learn and grow.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Alex_Saloutos; 01-23-2008 at 09:30 PM.

I am going as well. I have to set up all my tickets/plane/room etc. tomorrow. I hope I don't have any issues with rooms. I would like to meet up with all you guys when I get there. Drinks are on Allan of course!
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Edwards View Post
    Andrew:

Let's try to connect, I've been meeting JLC'ers at the show for a few years now. We can meet at Bill R's setup, he usually has a couple of hoties as assistants.
    Ah yes Allan, the good old days;)
    I will be at W429

See you there.
    Bill R

As Alex stated the food is terrible and the lines are worse. In the back of the South Hall there is a food court tucked in that was not very busy. The main food court at the front of the West Hall is crazy.

If you walk out the back of the West Hall there are some vendors out there grilling. I have eaten there the last 2 years
    -Dan

I'll be going.
    Let's set up a meeting place!
    daycoconstructioninc.com
    Panama City, FL

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to E. Carrington, 1788

Can you guys pm your cell number. I'm staying In New Smyrna for a week and a half and was coming over to the IBS for a day or two when the clouds are out. What booth is MBR working?
    Last edited by Andrew R.; 01-24-2008 at 08:00 AM.

Thanks for the feedback.

I will plan what I want to do/ see before going.

We are staying about 5 miles from the convention center.

Should we leave the rental car and opt for a shuttle or cab instead of trying to find parking?
    Rob

Rob;

I'm going for the first time as well. We are staying somewhere in Kissimmee, about 12 miles from the airport it said. Ended up getting a package deal on flight/room/rental car. I think we will likely drive the first day then see how much they soak us for decent parking. May cab it or shuttle if possible the next days.
    Randy

I rent a car and park in the lot east of the halls, which has worked well. It's the lot on the east side of International Drive. It was a convenient walk to the halls from there. I liked having car to get around at night and being able to get to and from the airport quickly. Orlando is one of the more reasonable places to rent a car.

If I bring my laptop with me to the show, is there anywhere I can get an internet connection if need be? Or power if my battery dies? Should I just travel light and leave the laptop at the hotel?
    Randy