Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Quiet Rock Sheet Rock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiet Rock Sheet Rock

Any of you guys ever use Quiet rock sheet rock? www.Quiet rock.com 1/2 inch was specked out on my job by the desiners,
    and after installing it and taping, and skim coat it started to sag at the seems, not at the butts, and not at the screws.
    after speeking to tec support they claimed that since it has a liquid ceramic layer sandwitched betweeen 2 layers of 1/4 inch
    sheet rock the ceramic layer may be heating up causing it to sag they said it happens some times , the only remedy was to add another layer of 5/8 typ x.
    also has any one ever used the quiet seal caulk along with this system, I found it to be coastly and time consuming.
    thanks.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 01-13-2008, 08:17 PM.
    DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, OR DONT DO IT AT ALL

Re: Quiet Rock Sheet Rock

I have never used it and based on your experience with both the product and their customer support, I doubt that I will. At $40+ dollars per sheet and their response was "It happens sometimes" and that's it? You let it go at that? You are much more calm than I would have been. Was this 1/2" material designed for ceiling applications? Did they tell you, you should have used 5/8" on the ceiling? Something just doesn't sound right.

By the way, please don't use all caps when you post, it is considered yelling. Thanks.

Phil
    Phil
    An old battleax of a woman said to Winston Churchill, "If you were my husband I would put poison in your tea.". Churchill's response, "Ma'am if you were my wife I would drink it.".

-Winston Churchill

Comment

Thanks for the reply, should you ever bid on a quiet rock sheet rock job
      consider doubling the price. Its being used out here alot in NY due to noise
      complaints in apartments. Its a fairly new product I guess they have to iron
      out the flaws. and yes its very coastly material, the entire system takes
      time alot of man hrs using the quiet seal caulk on all the perimiter edges.
      due to the ceramic layer a 4x12 sheet of 1/2 inch takes 3 men to handle, where as a regular sheet of 4x12 typ x 5/8 2 men can handle.

Comment

Check out : www.thegreengluecompany.com for soundproofing. I haven't used it yet, but since you can use standard drywall and the glue can be easily moved from job to job its pretty versitile. After spending $40 per sheet and they say ya in can sag....well thats a crap product!

PS. I would use plaster washers on the factory seams to help prevent sagging
        "cheap labor pays for expensive headaches"

Comment

could not see your web site to look at the Quiet Rock product. Had seen a similar product here in St Louis but maybe not the same thing. I thought it had a layer of aluminum between the sheets for additional sound deadening.

Again I had heard very expensive and definitely a two or three man handle product.

Comment

I got a quote that 1 sheet cost $80.00 -

Comment

Their web site is at www.quietrock.com.

I thought it had a layer of aluminum between the sheets for additional sound deadening.
              I believe they redesigned their products a year or two ago; I don't think they were using ceramics when I visited their plant a couple years ago. Most of the samples they gave me then have aluminum cores.

Also, be aware that they have eight different products, ranging in thickness from 1/2" to 1-3/8". It is quite possible that some use ceramics, and others still use metal sheets. (Edit: I checked through their web site, and this is in fact the case.)

Believe it or not, their prices have actually come down quite a bit since I visited their plant.
              Last edited by SolarPowered; 01-14-2008, 02:32 PM.

Comment

There are quite few companies out here now selling a sound control drywall. I have used the Quietrock and also Supress. I think there is a version og Quietrock with the aluminum center. All types have a damping material sandwiched between the two sheets. They area little difficult to work with as far as scoring and snapping goes but a router and drywall saw does the job. Whenever I do a sound control job I price it high enough so that I will be patient. I have used the drywall on walls and ceiling as have not had a customer complain about any sagging. Maybe if there was excessive heat?

I have also used the Green Glue. I really liked it because I was able to use longer sheets of drywall and I was not throwing away any expensive drywall.
                Like I said price the job high enough so you won't mind throwing away expensive material and spending a lot of time doing the detail work like caulking.

Comment

Thanks for all the feed back, im going to check out that green glue lookes like a good product, ill sugest it to my desiner, also quiet rock makes a sound
                  deadning ply wood with aluminum in between its layers. in the meantime
                  quietrock is out at the site doing sound controll test, they may have to
                  reimburse me for the losses on the job or it will end up in court. This
                  is a great site i enjoy talking with you guys THANKS!!!!!! James

Comment

I used 6 sheets of QR510 (@$62.30 per sheet) last year to decrease sound transmission between the mbr and an adjacent br in a new home. We also used the Quiet Seal; and Quiet Putty around the receptacle boxes. No complaints from the drywaller. And the owner seems satisfied. Holmes on Homes did a show using the product very effectively between new townhomes.
                    "The fatal flaw of all revolutionaries is that they know how to tear things down but don’t have a f**king clue about how to build anything." Jim Goad

Comment

So is the Quiet rock worth it for the money? Or would it be more effective to just stagger the studs and run insulation in the wall (the low tech way)?

I have two media rooms coming up and am really on the fence as to which way to jump. Cost wise the staggered studs win, but I hate to lose the room.
                      Adrian Pillow
                      Color Inc - Home Improvements & Remodeling Services

Personal project: 1840s farm house restoration in West by God Virginia.

Helping to infuse style into generica McMansions everyday!

Comment

Originally posted by Pillow View Post
                        So is the Quiet rock worth it for the money? Or would it be more effective to just stagger the studs and run insulation in the wall (the low tech way)?

I have two media rooms coming up and am really on the fence as to which way to jump. Cost wise the staggered studs win, but I hate to lose the room.
                        Hey thanks for writting in, well I didnt desine this system it was just a fill in job to keep the men busy, win some loose some you know, got a 40 million
                        dollar renovation coming up with the same desiner I dont want to get him in trouble so Im just gonna take the hit. I researched quiet rock products and they seem pretty good alot of money , I priced this job at 200 dollars a sheet, for me 10 thousand is like a favor, this desiner gives me alot of work. some guys may think its crazy but when you do 2 to 3 hundred million a year
                        some things you gotta just say oh well and move on.
                        that was with delivery, installation, taping skim, and painting. I think on this
                        job I did there is alot of heat build up in the room,it is possible thats why it sagged, but the remedy was to add a layer of 5/8 typ x, the quiet rock reps are out at the site doing test so it seems they do stand behind there products.
                        You might want to check into this other site its called greengluecompany.com check out there product and also check out there
                        links dept that should give you alot of info on alot of products. To add the quiet rock did the trick for the noise these people have ther own private movie theater, some have it and some dont, well they have it!!. one thing you have to consider is the weight of the product, the sheets I used were 12 foot boards so it took 3 men to handle one board, other than that
                        it handles like regular sheet rock. as far as insulation goes on this job I had sound insulation
                        sprayed inbetween the existing ceiling joist filled the entire cavity with foam, cant hear
                        any sound noise in any other rooms of the house. I hope ths was helpfull, also quiet rock
                        makes a sound dedning ply wood for floors you can log onto there site at quietrock.com bottom line it was definetly worth it.
                        Last edited by [email protected]; 01-19-2008, 07:14 AM.

Comment

National Gypsum has a product called Soundbreak. Check it out at their website, www. nationalgypsum.com. It is considerably less than Quiet Rock, mold and mildew resistant and you work with it like regular board.

Comment

gypsumguy,

If you remove the space between "www." and "nationalgypsum.com" on your post, it will give an automatic link to click onto. Might improve your sales. :)

Like this - www.nationalgypsum.com.
                            Tom

Support your country always, support your government only when they deserve it! - Mark Twain
                            This fall, fire them all, DON'T RE-ELECT ANYONE!

Comment

We just finished up our first Quiet Rock job this morning. We installed 10 4x8 sheets 90.00 each here) and 19 4x 10 sheets of 5/8 Q. R. 525 with Quiet Seal behind it all in a 15'x21' home theater. We used a Bosch Jigsaw and a drill for all of the cutting and holes. It was similar for us to working with Hardi Plank.There were beams and wires and speakers and ductwork and bumpouts everywhere to cut around and it took 3 of us about 18 hours to get it hung and firetaped (crowded jobsite). The thing we liked least of all about the process was when we would get Quiet Seal on us. It doesn't come off. One young carpenter was installing blocking in front of us and got some of it on him and my Dad said to him, "Well, now you have something to show your grandchildren." Speaking of which, I need to go throw away these pants.
                              Jeremy

First, you begin by making a bunch of mistakes. Second, you start learning from them. Third, you use that point of reference to learn from others' mistakes. Fourth, you finally have the luxury of making very few mistakes. Fifth, you start making mistakes nobody has ever heard of. --Trial and Error Construction

Comment

Working...
                              X