Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default install wood siding over brick

I am going to install cedar siding over a brick wall and would appreciate advice on installation technics. Specifically using a breathable membrane material to create an air space between the cedar and brick. I dont want the build-out from the brick to exceed 1 inch.

Default Re: install wood siding over brick

*scratches head*
    Joe

" When I nod my head , you hit it "

Why are you covering the brick with siding? What type of cedar siding are you using? Does your 1" limit include the siding? Do you have photos?

Jeff

Isn't siding or painting over brick punishable as a Crime Against Humanity?

The house is a large ranch with 3 different types of stone on its facade. The owners want to alter the look of this 1960's mess into a craftsman style house. I suggested covering the most boring section,ie the brick in just the front of the home.[think Green and Green] There is a covered section that would look awsome if covered in a No. 1 grade cedar and stained. I would like to keep the build-out no more than I have to. All I have come up with is attaching vertical battons to the brick.

maybe post your question in the "Exterior Details" and / or "Building Science" forums .
    maybe even the "Materials & Techniques" forum .

Some of the guys might night see it down here .

What's behind the brick ?

Introduce yourself too , please .

welcome to the forums .
    Joe

" When I nod my head , you hit it "

My next door neighbor did this about 3 years ago, except he used VINYL!! And for a vinyl sided house, it dosen't look bad. You'd never know there is brick under there. He covered his when he added another room onto the end of the house and couldn't get brick to match. The house had 2 previous additions with brick that didn't match and overall, it was an improvement.

He added 1x2 vertical furring strips @ 16" OC, fastening with construction adhesive and cut nails. Then he installed 3/4" Dow R-4 stryofoam between the furring strips. Then hung the vinyl from the furring strips. I'd have to go look close up to see how he finished around the windows and along the freize board, but I don't think I want to fight off his German Shepard to take a look.

Paul
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by iwoodknot View Post
    He added 1x2 vertical furring strips @ 16" OC, fastening with construction adhesive and cut nails. Then he installed 3/4" Dow R-4 stryofoam between the furring strips. Then hung the vinyl from the furring strips. I'd have to go look close up to see how he finished around the windows and along the freize board, but I don't think I want to fight off his German Shepard to take a look.
    That's the way to do it.

The freize detail is the easy one. Window detail is where the true art comes in to play.

I did a similar job a few years back.

There was brick on either side of an entry door. I removed the brick....basically it fell off the house, removed the sheathing, built a sister wall out of 2x materials exactly where the other studs were, and insulated it with FG to get a doubling effect of insulation value.... I re-sheathed the new wall flush with the exterior foundation....added siding and today, you would never know that there was brick there....except for the custom door jamb I fabricated to take up the increased depth....

That was a fun job.
    Chuck

You folks have some great ideas, and suggestions,not to mention a slightly sarcastic undertone that only a fellow tradesman could appreciate. Obviously you can tell by my lack of computer decorum I'm new to forum chat. I've been in the business for almost 20 years. Although my backround is in fine arts.I got my MFA in NYC in the 90's, and opened a small cabinet shop in chelsea. After guilani cleaned up the city my rents went through the roof so I moved to CT. Where I continue to create.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff scheinblum View Post
    You folks have some great ideas, and suggestions,not to mention a slightly sarcastic undertone that only a fellow tradesman could appreciate. Obviously you can tell by my lack of computer decorum I'm new to forum chat. I've been in the business for almost 20 years. Although my backround is in fine arts.I got my MFA in NYC in the 90's, and opened a small cabinet shop in chelsea. After guilani cleaned up the city my rents went through the roof so I moved to CT. Where I continue to create.

Sarcasm is a good thing especially for those who register and don't introduce themselves or fill in their profile.... You know, as if someone walks into a room full of people and just starts blasting questions or demanding information without the courtesy of self introduction.

Normally, I wont even post to a thread where someone has failed to do either, but the brick thread I found to be too interesting not to throw in my .02.
    Chuck

Seven years in NYC and I'm a bull in a china shop, even in a digital room. I think you folks should wecome thought provoking questions meant to challenge your knollege even if posed by a digital nomad like myself. Just a thought. I never saw the profile section when I first logged on.

You've already gotten good advice here, the only thing I would ad is that you don't need a vapor barrier, and the suggestion of foam insulation is good, but not necessary. Most importantly be sure to use a polyureathene construction adhesive in addition to nails or screws to fasten the 1x firring strips. Be careful with any horizontal firring as it can trap moisture and cause rot/decay. If the masonry doesn't go up all the way up to the eave, special attention to flashing may be needed.

Jeff

I did the work in the pics for a customer whom got tired of looking at the foundation. Thier was enough space for 1/2" fur strips.. I attached grace ice and water shield to 4" wide strips of 1/2" plywood and fastened vertically to the walls with tapcons. I had first put a grid on the walls and drilled in 1" at each nail location for the cedar. I shot Construction adhesive into each hole and let set for a day. I cut stainless siding nails to 1 3/4" and predrilled the cedar. It was slow going on the first side. I shot a few digital photos prior to installing the left side and I could locate the "just a hair off predrilled locations easier" The left side took less than half the time of the right. For a small area, the process worked.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by StephenS; 01-08-2008 at 10:31 PM.

Nice work Stephen!