Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Interior Door Hinge Lubricant ??Best??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior Door Hinge Lubricant ??Best??

During the last 20 years, I have used various hinge pin lubricants with varying degrees of success. It seems like the quality (or lack of) of "Made in China" hinges is giving me more customer complaints of the "black" hinge residue. I believe most of my problem comes from the friction of the two hinge sides interlocking and rubbing - NOT the pin. I generally lube the hinge pins with automotive door strike plate lubricant.

What are you folks doing for this problem?? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    Residential Building Contractor 30+ years - almost fully retired! Last 10 years teaching Building Construction - Construction Management program at local college.

Re: Interior Door Hinge Lubricant ??Best??

Originally posted by rduncan View Post
    What are you folks doing for this problem??
    Well, gosh, I never really thought about doing something about it. I just clean the hinges at my house, and I expect my customers do the same. But I'm sure very curious to hear what others do.
    - Rich

Comment

I have had the same thing happen with hinges that were made years ago...not in China. I guess it's the friction of the knuckles rubbing against one another as the door is swung; probably more likely that than the hinge pin. I'd say just clean the knuckles off every so often, when it bothers you.
      Visit www.peercon.com

Comment

Originally posted by rduncan View Post
        During the last 20 years, I have used various hinge pin lubricants with varying degrees of success. It seems like the quality (or lack of) of "Made in China" hinges is giving me more customer complaints of the "black" hinge residue. I believe most of my problem comes from the friction of the two hinge sides interlocking and rubbing - NOT the pin. I generally lube the hinge pins with automotive door strike plate lubricant.

What are you folks doing for this problem?? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

black hinge residue might be from using a wet lubricant that attracts the dust in the air. dont use any wet lube and if you cant adjust the hinge or if replaceing the offending hinge (best option for squeeking, rubbing, hinge) isnt an option than use some type of dry lube.
        S.M.Titmas.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you. You just gotta find the ones worth suffering for."
        - Bob Marley

Comment

I use a "wet lube" like White Lithium Grease. I squirt this stuff down the hinge barrels and then thouroghly coat the hinge pins with this stuff and put things back together. I wipe all the gunk that excudes out of the hinges with a rag and we're good to go!

Should last for a long, long time. Do you get "Black Stuff" coming out of your hinges sometimes? Of course you do. Unless you have Ball Bearing hinges, what do you expect? You have metal-to-metal contact, and the resulting friction is going to result in some Metal-to-Metal grinding, and the hated Black Residue is the result.

Comment

I've heard of using parafin wax and it won't turn black or splatter the wall.

Comment

Try "Slipit," a multi-purpose sliding compound that works great for sliding door tracks, hinges, tools and table saw tops. I have to order online at http://www.slipit.com

good luck,
              Bob

Comment

Vaseline works pretty good. Before putting the hinge halves together, I normally put a little on the pin and then dab some on the top of each barrel?? and then put some in the top before putting the hinge back together.

Comment

Originally posted by Arlanb View Post
                  Vaseline works pretty good. Before putting the hinge halves together, I normally put a little on the pin and then dab some on the top of each barrel?? and then put some in the top before putting the hinge back together.
                  I also put a little Vaseline on the pin and on the barrel before i put them together but when i do it there is no hinge involved.
                  S.M.Titmas.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you. You just gotta find the ones worth suffering for."
                  - Bob Marley

Comment

Beeswax or Carnauba.
                    "I'll bend over backwards to help anybody, but I ain't bending over forwards for nobody"

Paul

Comment

S.M.Titmas,
                      I got it! ;)
                      The Carpenter who builds a good House to defend us from Wind and Weather, is far more serviceable than the curious Carver who employs his art to please his Fancy....from an old tool pamphlet..1719

Comment

Originally posted by smtitmas View Post
                        I also put a little Vaseline on the pin and on the barrel before i put them together but when i do it there is no hinge involved.
                        You ought to move up to Astroglide or KY at a minimum. Actually I used a case of Astroglide on a project where I needed to slip fit copper caps into a tight area.

Kye

Comment

Originally posted by Kye GC View Post
                          You ought to move up to Astroglide or KY at a minimum. Actually I used a case of Astroglide on a project where I needed to slip fit copper caps into a tight area.

Kye
                          so where does one buy a case of Astroglide, and what did you tell them you were going to do with it?
                          S.M.Titmas.

- Bob Marley

Comment

Our bedroom door squeaked for a long, long time. My wife asked me to fix it several times but you know how that goes. One day she asked me "What do you use to oil it?". I said anything will do. She went to the kitchen, got her spray can of PAM and sprayed the hinges from the outside and wiped off the excess. They no longer squeak.

She is a long, long way from letting me live that down.

Comment

Coming from an industrial mechanic background, I'll second the white lithium grease.

Comment

Working...
                              X