Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default I Love My Diamondbacks

I am getting ready to buy some hard core framing tools. First I am getting a Bigfoot saw, 10" bosch, next I am getting 2 new coil nailers and the last and most inportant I am getting a new carpenter rig. I have had and still have the cheapies from HD and Menards but now I what the real deal. My question to all you diamondback owners is are they worth the money?

Default Re: I Love My Diamondbacks

MKP,

For normal framing the 10" saw is way to big. You better have a 7 1/4" back up.
    How can you LOVE your Diamondbacks, if you don't own them? Some people like them, some don't. For what they cost, you better find out first.
    Are you getting out of the handyman/home repair business, and going to do strictly framing? If not, your getting a little carried away.
    Tom

Support your country always, support your government only when they deserve it! - Mark Twain
    This fall, fire them all, DON'T RE-ELECT ANYONE!

I have 2 wormdrives and a black and decker sidewinder, all working strong and in good shape. I have had alot of winter work popping up and am looking at going to work with 2 others in a 3 way split on building houses. I am not throwing all my eggs in one basket right now just expanding into a area where I could build 2-3 houses a year.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEKERRYPHIPPEN View Post
    I have 2 wormdrives and a black and decker sidewinder, all working strong and in good shape. I have had alot of winter work popping up and am looking at going to work with 2 others in a 3 way split on building houses. I am not throwing all my eggs in one basket right now just expanding into a area where I could build 2-3 houses a year.
    Well it's a good thing you have a black and decker sidewinder...you'll need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Di View Post
    Well it's a good thing you have a black and decker sidewinder...you'll need it.
    good one Greg
    Mark Parlee
    BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
    EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
    Level one thermagrapher (Snell Training)
    www.thebuildingconsultant.com
    www.parleebuilders.com
    You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Here is my take on things I build houses from 1,500 to 6,000 sq ft. on a regular basis and I don't own the big foot. So what I am getting at is for me personally I don't think it is necessary. But if I were you I would get a good lightweight chainsaw and learn to cut somewhat accuratley. I am not a hack but the chainsaw has bailed me out more than once. Like last week I had a valley full of 70 degree bevels teamed up the chainsaw and a beltsander with a 50 grit belt worked out great and fast. As far as the coil nailers the Hitachi's are awesome but the Makita is the cadillac . I have worm drives I like them but we use the Bosch cs10 and 20 way more. Hope this help as far as the Black and Decker you may just want to save it for home use and get a new sidewinder and just get one new worm drive. I have Diamond backs that hang and collect dust in my trailer I figure some day my occys may break and I may need them but until then the occy's for me. And remember no matter what the tools don't make the carpenter.
    Last edited by gillisonconstruction; 12-12-2007 at 06:36 PM.

Yeah tools don't make the carpenter, but crap can sure get in the way.

I like soft leather bags because the tools don't fall out and they lay flat against the body so I can fit through stud bays more easily. I like still leather for electrician and drywaller bags as the tools are easy to remove and replace.

I frame almost all the time now and I wear the OXy Pro Trimmer they work great some guys go a little extreme with what u need in your pouch I carry- 16's, Empty fastner pocket, 2- chalk lines tape , digger aka - cats paw, 6 in 1 screwdriver, speed square , 3/4 Chisel nail set and a hammer anything else I holler for my help to get it. And this gets heavy at times. My two cents.

One last thing man if you got two worm drives go get 2- CS20 and forget about it your set.

My BD saw is a new old stock Super sawcat, the guy I started with had 4-5 of them sitting around my was new in the box 4 years ago when he gave one new one to his son and to me before he sold everything else at auction, and moved south. I am still checking out coil nailers I have not seen the makitas but am always looking for a great tool that fits great in my hands.
    I believe in buying the best I can afford, with things going so well right now I would like to invest in "tip top tools". The big foot saw means I can cut 4x4 material for decks and headers in one pass. I am a big guy that has not see 40 yet, and I like to carry all my tools with me. Now gust to figure out what those tools are.

I have used Diamondbacks for about 5 or 6 years. I love them and find them to be very durable.

Last summer, I just got sick of the size. I had ordered a new pair the year before and decided it was time to start wearing them. They were just a little bigger and bugged me.

So I switched back to my old pair. I think it was just something I was going through, because I can normally ignore little irritants. Like when you have small splinter in your sock that you can feel when you walk. I can usually ignore it if it isn't a big deal.

Well I just couldn't get past it. The bags just felt too big. Part of it was it was hot out and I wanted to lighten up (more ways that one). So I went with the Occidental bags, http://bestbelt.com/product/toolbelt...-toolbelt.html

At first I didn't like them either, but I'm learning to give things a chance before making up my mind. That works the other way too :-). Well now that I've used them for about 6months, I've decided this last week that I really like them. I don't like that my calculator doesn't fit as well in my right bags with extra pencils and blade wrench, but that's not so bad.

Its up to you. I still have my Dbacks and will use them again someday. I think they are a nice winter rig, but that is a lot of $$.

As to the Big Foot, I use it a lot and have adapted some of my methods to the saw. So for instance, I cut all 3 interior wall plates on edge (2x4) at the same time and to the same length and use metal plates to tie the walls together.

Its nice when you have wider flanged I-joists. It is great for changes, because even in 2x6 walls you can cut the studs on edge from the inside to cut out a window and follow the almost 4" deep cut with a recip saw.

Its up to you, but my caution would be in the housing market as it is now and looks to get a little worse, don't extend youself on tools right now.

Save your money and buy tools that really make a difference for a framer, like a good laser tool that you can plumb, and layout really easily.

Just my thoughts.

gillisonconstruction,

A Big Foot w/swingtable makes those steep cuts fast and accurate though. Yesterday I needed it for the steep cuts on the valley in the picture after this picture http://picasaweb.google.com/TimothyU...91561639445122

I've always used boulder bags. They treat me very nicely. I just got the Woodland camo pro framer last week. They look sick. Only complaint is that they don't offer the flip top velcro pouch on the left side in the camo.

Hey Tim I could probably justify the bigfoot myself and would probably use it. Someday I will probably get one but my point was like yours I hate to see a guy go drop alot of money into something like that to start with. I agree with you the markets not very good right now. Hey I may holler at you one day about the bigfoot . Thanks

I bought my bigfoot a while ago and have found many uses for it. The day I bought it, wasn't a day I set out to buy it though. It had been hot and sunny for too many days straight and I wear tank tops to frame in the summer and my shoulders had had enough that day, sunblock wasn't helping. So a Nailco van (local fastener and tool supplier) pulls up and the guy said he had a special on the 10" bigfoot and proceeds to show me as I wanted one. He opens the box and there is a free short sleeve t-shirt. Brain clicked and nearly 400 dollars later my shoulders got some relief and I got one of my favorite saws. We do homes on pilings so for us its almost required.
    Rob
    O'Brien and Sons Construction
    Swansboro NC

I don't own the Oxy ligts but I think they would be the way to go. I have the leather framers and the Diamondbacks. I regeret not returning both of these products as soon as I got them. I did the same thing as Tim U. and gave them a chance thinking I would grow to love them,,,,,,,not!