Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Vinyl siding labor cost

Hi Everyone,
    I just joined the forum so please have patience with me. I live in NW Florida (the Panhandle) and we are looking to expand into installing vinyl siding. I have a large contractor who wants to know how much we charge per square foot to install vinyl sidng. Just labor not with materials. Any ideas what the range is in my area?

Thanks,
    George3405

Default Re: Vinyl siding labor cost

Well around here vinyl is installed by the square, not square foot and most guys are charging $70 which includes doing the soffits and breaking the metal fascia. I have some buddies that are siding contractors and the only way they can make money is by running multiple crews.
    Rob
    O'Brien and Sons Construction
    Swansboro NC

Wow $70 a square with soffits and metal, s**t I'd rather stay home if I'm not gonna make any money.

A better question is how much do you need to get a square to make it worthwhile to hang the vinyl. Also I've always had a hard time doing any siding strictly by the square, it's way easier to slap vinyl on a box with a Hip roof than something cut up with tall gables, dormers, bays and the like.

I used to get anywhere from $200 to $500 a square for vinyl, but that was several years back and in Taxachusetts.
    Mike

The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it. -P.J. O'Rourke

george,

The big bad contractor man is trying to F*** YOU. I could make a lot of money install siding on a house with 4 corners and no windows at $70/square. Every job is different, the only thing that makes sense pricing by the square foot is drywall painting and asphalt paving.

If you don't know how much you need to make an hour to turn a profit, You need to figure that out first. Trust me you will like being in business a whole lot more after you do. Now that you are armed with this information you can price the job. NO two jobs are exactly the same. you also need to make sure you account for having no material mark up to profit from when figuring this out.

The closest I would come to unit pricing is. price per square with an additional price for each and every detail. IE $70/sq to install, $100/per corner up to 20', $125/ per window to wrap, $3/foot for starter strip , $55/every outlet box ETC. These are not real prices just trying to show you another way of doing it.

Every area of the country has different pricing so asking a world wide fourm like this "whats the going rate" is a waste of time. Like bluewoodrock said, for $70/suare including metal I would stay home. I would say we average around $350-$400/sq inc metal, for labor only.

If you do a search there are plenty of threads about how to arrive at your hourly rate. Welcome to the fourms.

Lou
    Last edited by BigLou80; 12-06-2007 at 06:20 AM.

I think Lou has the best answer so far. I have done plenty of vinyl as a sub, charging by the square for siding, per foot for soffit and fascia, per opening to wrap windows and doors, per light box and on and on.

But even using the local "going rate" can be risky. Big difference between a ranch house and 3 story victorian. Look at each job individually and base your bid on what you can reasonably expect for production.

Good Luck
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by BigLou80 View Post
    Every job is different, the only thing that makes sense pricing by the square foot is drywall painting and asphalt paving.
    But the same caveats apply to the trades you listed (OK, maybe not to painting....lol)- if the house is extremely cut up with lots of rooms over 12, high ceilings, tons of corner bead, etc., the cost/SF should be priced higher than a simple 1,000 SF house with 8' ceilings. If a parking lot has dozens of islands, crazy grade changes, and lots of curves, it should be priced higher than a 200' square lot with no islands.

Bob,
    your right, there are exceptions to any rule. it just further illustrates that SF pricing is a bad idea .

Lou

This brings to mind my very early days when my brother and I were roofing subs. We didn't know how to price our bids so collected the going rates by asking around. Then just measure the squares and multiply. Simple enough.

We soon realized that some jobs were cherry and others were pits. As long as there was some balance we accepted it. But when things got competitive we watched the other guys pluck the cherry jobs from our station in the pits.

I'm an extra special case. It took years to drill that through my thick bone head. So today I'm an irritating evangelical concerning the going rate.

Good Luck
    Dave