Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Height rule of thumb ratio for wainscoting?

I am installing wainscoting in a basement bathroom with 7 foot ceilings. Is there a general rule of thumb ratio for bathroom wainscoting with respect to the wall height. I will be installing a 32" vanity and thought the wainscoting would look good coming in just below the vanity top. Any thoughts??

Default Re: Height rule of thumb ratio for wainscoting?

Ooooooooooooooooooooops.

Edited for my own protection.

Let the flaming begin.
    Last edited by Tischler; 11-29-2007 at 12:18 AM. Reason: n00b mistake responding to this guy
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

i think wainscott should be about... this high.
    yeah, that looks good
    S.M.Titmas.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you. You just gotta find the ones worth suffering for."
    - Bob Marley

Why don't people fill out their profiles?

I'll answer anyway.

Just my opinion, because I don't have the research to prove it, just an opinion on where wainscot came from.

I think wainscot minimum height starts at chair rail height (measure your dining room chairs or your lazy-boy; chair rail should be low enough that the chair will hit it before hitting the wall). So, that's really where I think wainscot should be or have a break & a rail detail.

Otherwise, there is wall paneling that people like to call wainscot, and it can be as tall as the top of the doors/windows.

In bathrooms, when there is wainscot & built-in vanity cabinets I like to run the wainscot so there is a top detail that is the height of the back splash. Then that detail is continuous around the room & the separation bead dies into the counter. But that depends on the style you're going for;)
    http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Randy,
    I'm with Lavrans. There are no rules when it comes to wainscoting height, or the width of the panels. Whatever looks good is good. I agree with Lavrans about the height of the splash, though the height of a window sill in a bathroom is sometimes the deciding factor, too.

As for the other responses: please understand that the contributors on this forum are a bit sensitive when it comes to DIY visitors. In the past, we have had some people post questions who didn't read the top posting--that this site is for Pros Only. And some of those visitors haven't been respectful. DIY visitors are more than welcome to lurk around, but we prefer that only professionals post to the forum. By filling in your profile, if you're a professional, people will take you and your question more seriously.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Katz View Post
    As for the other responses: please understand that the contributors on this forum are a bit sensitive when it comes to DIY visitors. In the past, we have had some people post questions who didn't read the top posting--that this site is for Pros Only. And some of those visitors haven't been respectful. DIY visitors are more than welcome to lurk around, but we prefer that only professionals post to the forum. By filling in your profile, if you're a professional, people will take you and your question more seriously.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Gary
    Very nicely done...not much fun to read mind you, but quite professional. Oh well.

Tom
    1) Unconsciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows not that he knows not. He is a fool. Shun him.
    2) Consciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows that he knows not. He is simple. Teach him.
    3) Unconsciously Competent: He knows, and knows not that he knows. He is asleep. Wake him.
    4) Consciously Competent: He knows, and knows that he knows. He is wise. Follow him.

May we all endeavor to progress from not knowing that we know not, to knowing that we know.

There really is no standard height for wainscoting. However, most people install it from between 32" to 48." You can find panels in those same heights.

Typical ratio is something like one third of the overall wall height isn't it? I've always thought so but that wouldn't apply for a 14' lid. I did an applied MDF job a while back on a staircase... the customer wanted the panels to fall with the stair-angle and they wanted the chair-rail to replace the hand-rail. This was a staircase open on one side. As the job progressed and I sorted out the various challenges I liked it more and more, and once filled and trimmed out and painted, I have to say it looks fabulous! And totally flies in the face of that 1/3 rule. Hmm.
    Last edited by 911<DS>; 02-08-2008 at 10:28 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Good Enough" is not GOOD ENOUGH!

By the way, does anyone know the origin of the term 'wainscoting'? And how do you pronounce it? I learned it was (phonetically...) wayne-scoat-ing...other people call it wayne-scot-ing... Not that anyone really cares I guess... Just curious.
    "Good Enough" is not GOOD ENOUGH!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wainscot

Just an unverified statement without citation. Seems to have come from the dutch for wagon. Another source dates the term to circa 1352, but the first use of wainscot (in any form) in 1540 +/-. Early reference is to oak used for paneling, but early reference is for use in building wagons, then to use for paneling in homes (you have to remember the wagon makers were pretty much the pinnacle of carpentry for a long time- you had to know everything from rough stock, green woodwork, veneer, carving, coopering, and have a very good mechanical sense, so if wainscot was tied to the wagon maker's title it was very expensive & desirable).
    http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

This guy has a good eye. He says the same thing as other posters--no hard and fast rules. Scroll down to figure 3 to see what he does with wainscotting.

http://www.jlconline.com/cgi-bin/jlc...6cac1ade5e&p=1

There is a decent article in the current issue of Fine Homebuilding (#193, page 122) that may help you with proportions and layout of wainscot paneling.

"Fine Homebuilding (#193, page 122)"
    Do you have a title? I tried looking online at the "other" webiste and couldn't find a link. Thanks