Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

The Crawler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Crawler

Any body own one of these units?If you dont know what it is ,Its a scaffold moving device that is driven by a cordless drill,I have been looking at this product for a long time and wish I would have bought it years ago but it is pretty pricey,$1,000.00.
    When I first looked at it it was about $800.00
    I want to know if it is worth the money and if anybody has and uses one?
    http://www.crawlerproducts.com/site/home/home.htm

Re: The Crawler

If its only for the baker scaffold, no thanks. I need the exercise.

Comment

I don't have one myself, but did see a cieling guy TRY to use one.
      The smallest thing on the floor would stop it,seemed he spent more time moving things or trying to drive arround them than if he just pushed the staging.

Steve.
      12 Hours is only 1/2 a day

Comment

I am with Steve. I saw it demonstrated a few years back so they may have made improvements in the thing. What I noticed is that unless your tires on the scaffold are sticky for lack of a better word, it did not take much to make them slip and not move. Plus I think you would have to have just the right work site to use it on. Long hallway or big open commercial jobs.

the one I saw would not go over an extension cord or an air hose. So I am guessing the area would need to be pretty well cleared before you could use it.
        Do not remember if it would go over a screw or something smaller but not sure.

Comment

As the website clearly illustrates, it's an excellent tool when you have a smooth floor and 2000 light bulbs to change :)

dg

Comment

I ride a Baker or Perry rolling scaffold, 8 hours a day, every day, with over 20 years experience, while installing various ceiling systems. I've tried it and I wouldn't buy one. As mentioned before, they only work in big, wide open areas, and anything on the floor stops them. That type of commercial jobsite does not exist. :(
            Tom

Support your country always, support your government only when they deserve it! - Mark Twain
            This fall, fire them all, DON'T RE-ELECT ANYONE!

Comment

I am so sorry to hear that. I saw one at a show about 2 years ago,(maybe less) and it looked like a good idea. I seem to remember them driving over cords and such. They were using an 18 volt gun if I remember correctly.

I thought that would be a good thing to use, so I am sorry to hear they don't work well.

Comment

It sounds like it needs to have more power,Maybe the newer generation cordless batteries will improve even more for it to work better.

Comment

i bought a carry all . for all my knifes and pan . i tie it onto my perry to keep my knifes in when i'm working . cheaper that the assories there tring to sell .

Comment

add the crawler to the lame list.friend of mine just got one.he does drop ceilings.if it"s a COMPLETELY clean floor its not so bad.can't haul much on the baker with ya

Comment

I tried to buy one about 3 months ago. Talked to somebody who e-mailed somebody who was supposed to phone me and never got that phone call. I figured if their customer service was that bad ,that their product wasn't worth having. After reading this thread Im glad I saved that money.

Comment

Working...
                      X