Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default hey LA and San Diego people all okay? toolwhore?

sad to say what a firey mess out their, I remember many times wild and crazy fires. hope you are all okay.

but on the bright side construction workers will now be needed to rebuild all those houses
    Kreg
    www.builtinking.com
    youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
    if you do not have fun every day... why?
    get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
    remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

Default Re: hey LA and San Diego people all okay? toolwhore?

Quote Originally Posted by kreg McMahon View Post
    sad to say what a firey mess out their, I remember many times wild and crazy fires. hope you are all okay.

but on the bright side construction workers will now be needed to rebuild all those houses
    Way to see the silver lining Kreg!!!!

I heard over 100 SQ miles were evacuated and that was just the beginning. Good luck down there. Fire sucks....
    “Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.”
    Abraham J. Heschel (Jewish theologian and philosopher, 1907-1972)

The fires are huge... They are evacuating thousands and thousands of people and we have lost 550 houses already. Both the 15 and 5 freeways are shut down. It's pretty crazy down here right now. I can't remember where toolwhore is. San Marcos maybe? Hope he's okay.

Others might have a different opinion, but I'm OK! :)
    Just sitting in the pool with my water cannon, watching the embers land on the roof. :(
    Tom

Support your country always, support your government only when they deserve it! - Mark Twain
    This fall, fire them all, DON'T RE-ELECT ANYONE!

Quote Originally Posted by Kreg
    Don't count on it, we thought that too after our Oakland Hills fire, but I only know two guys who got anything, one got one house, and other got two. The contractors with illegal help came out of the low price areas of the Valley and underbid all the locals, plus insurance companies weren't paying enough to build to today's codes, that has changed somewhat after the Oakland experience. The newspaper had a picture of a contractor standing walls all by himself, he said he wasn't getting enough money to hire any help, unless he hired illegals.
    “‎A general State education is a mere contrivance for moulding people to be exactly like one another; and as the mould in which it casts them is that which pleases the dominant power in the government, whether this be a monarch, an aristocracy, or a majority of the existing generation; in proportion as it is efficient and successful, it establishes a despotism over the mind, leading by a natural tendency to one over the body.” ― John Stuart Mill

250,000 displaced. Double that, and you've got New Orleans after Katrina. Pictures of fire more dramatic than water, though. Nobody's making out big time there. Will probably be a slow rebuild in CA, too. So far, destroyed homes in the low 100's. Not a huge thing, all considered . . . except, of course, for those directly affected.

NW, in the Oakland Hills' fire: "The fire ultimately killed 25 people and injured 150 others. The 1,520 acres (6.2 km²) destroyed included 2,843 single-family dwellings and 437 apartment and condominium units. The economic loss has been estimated at $1.5 billion." I don't think the insurance litigation is over yet, most homes were insured for a fraction of the cost of rebuilding, nobody took into consideration that old foundations couldn't be reused by code and all the engineering which had to be done. I was headed to San Francisco for the Sunday afternoon opera and saw smoke over the hills, I was mad because they turned us around and wouldn't let us go through the tunnel, I knew how to go around to Grizzle Peak and go over by (ugh) Cal and drop back down to pick up my son in Berkeley. I don't think they will have as many insurance problems in San Diego because the state changed the laws making insurance companies sell replacement value policies, but the wording is tricky in those.

Construction people showed up from all over looking for jobs, most contractors had big hand lettered plywood signs, saying something like: "No subcontract bids accepted, call XXX-XXXX after 7:00 P.M. with all bids.
    “‎A general State education is a mere contrivance for moulding people to be exactly like one another; and as the mould in which it casts them is that which pleases the dominant power in the government, whether this be a monarch, an aristocracy, or a majority of the existing generation; in proportion as it is efficient and successful, it establishes a despotism over the mind, leading by a natural tendency to one over the body.” ― John Stuart Mill

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Seibert View Post
    I was headed to San Francisco for the Sunday afternoon opera .

Dick,

Are you in construction or interior decorating? the opera? :)
    Kreg
    www.builtinking.com
    youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
    if you do not have fun every day... why?
    get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
    remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

The ash coming down this morning looks like snow. It's supposed to reach 91 degrees today, with 7% humidity, and gusting winds up to 60 mph. NOT GOOD!!!
    My boss wants me to go to a job, 60 miles south, on the backed up highways (supposedly, only to be used by evacuees, and emergency services). That way if my house gets threatened by the fires, it would take me at least 2 hours to get home to try and save my stuff.
    He is staying home to watch HIS house. What a DICK!
    Tom

Support your country always, support your government only when they deserve it! - Mark Twain

I'm in Spring Valley, about 12 miles inland from San Diego. The big Harris fire is only about a mile away from my place. The wind is carrying all the smoke 1/2 a mile away from where I am. If the wind stays a steady offshore flow I should be OK.

Staying home today, just in case, watering down all my trees ..

Kreg:

What are you the jig dude? Even the uncultured can enjoy opera, here is an example of a phone salesman stunning a rock audience with opera.

Dang, I hope that guy won, and isn't wasting his talent on phone sales anymore? I don't like opera much, but... wow.
    Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Quote Originally Posted by Toolwhore View Post
    Others might have a different opinion, but I'm OK! :)
    Just sitting in the pool with my water cannon, watching the embers land on the roof. :(
    Tom,

Are you serious? Sometimes can't tell.

Tom
    1) Unconsciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows not that he knows not. He is a fool. Shun him.
    2) Consciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows that he knows not. He is simple. Teach him.
    3) Unconsciously Competent: He knows, and knows not that he knows. He is asleep. Wake him.
    4) Consciously Competent: He knows, and knows that he knows. He is wise. Follow him.

May we all endeavor to progress from not knowing that we know not, to knowing that we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Seibert View Post
    Even the uncultured can enjoy opera
    Just as enjoying opera doesn't mean you're "cultured" either, Dick.

People who think just because they listen to the "right" kinds of music or enjoy the "right" kinds of entertainment and think that makes them "above the rabble" are just smug, self-righteous dicks.

But you already knew that didn't you, Dick?
    "I'll bend over backwards to help anybody, but I ain't bending over forwards for nobody"

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by TSJHD1
    Are you serious? Sometimes can't tell.
    Unfortunately, the situation here is very serious. My whole neighborhood is covered in ash. 91 degrees, and clear blue skies if it wasn't for the 400' thick reddish/black smoke. Headlights on all day long, like it is night. The latest fashion is a wet bandanna over the face, like a train robber, or a particle mask.
    Hopefully, the Santa Ana Winds will subside like they are predicting, and they can get the air support they haven't been able to use.

It's good to see you back on the forum, Tom. Hope all is going well. Sounded like you got a good thing going, last time we spoke. Sorry about having to get off the phone so abruptly last time we talked, but I was trying to keep the rush hour morons from trading paint with me on the freeway on-ramp.
    PM me your phone #. I was looking for it recently, but my anally compulsive cleaning lady (my girlfriend) keeps ORGANIZING my office, when I'm not looking. (told her a million times not to touch nothin' in there)

BTW - Does anybody want a slightly used girlfriend? I'll pay ya!
    Tom