Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Window Mfr's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Mfr's

I build small modern outdoor buildings.

I just got my first order and I'm trying to price out the windows and patio door for it. I have a quote for Marvin but it's a bit more than I'd anticipated so I'm trying to avoid getting seriously burned.

Can anyone here give a broad guideline as to highest price to lowest price for the various mfr's? Ie Lowen is more expensive than Marvin etc.

Cheers,

Patrick
    patrick anderson neoshed.com

Re: Window Mfr's

FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE... you bound to get no answers if you don't
    -Sal

Handyman - Flooring - Built-Ins & Custom Carpentry - Porch Renovation

Comment

NeoSHED,
      What is the difference between your "small modern outdoor building" and a,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, shed?

Comment

Windows range in price from my experience from $50 to $5800. I'm sure there are ways to spend a lot more on a window. Go to a lumberyard and buy there builder grade of window. Or you could just go to Lowe's and buy the cheapest one you see. Most every manufacturer has a low end line and there no frills spared line. I wouldn't put Marvin windows in a shed.
        Rob
        O'Brien and Sons Construction
        Swansboro NC

Comment

Sorry about the profile....I had issues being able to login.

Lawrence, It is indeed a shed but that wasnt my question.

Rob, The client is having Marvin fitted to his house and wants the same. I normally would use a low end window. I was just after a decent mfr that doesn't cost a fortune.

Lowen I found out is even more expensive than Marvin.

Comment

I just got my first order,,,,,,normally I would use a low end window.,,,,,,,,,,---------------------you've got ME CONFUSED !!!!!
            When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.
            Desiderius Erasmus

Comment

NeoShed,

First, what's your first name, second welcome to the forum and third I'll take your word that you are an Architect.

Now, with that said. Why would you get burned?

Why would you NOT spec out the same windows and doors as the main house?

If they (clients) can afford Marvin in the main house I doubt they will flinch at the price for the outdoor building.

If you are going with Marvin in the main house and want a less expensive product for the outdoor building then consider Andersen. Great product and a few bucks less.

Comment

When I originally priced this out I was basing it on a typical pvc window unit.

In my haste to get the order in I didnt have enough time to check with the local dealer to get the price for the marvins. This is my own fault and I've learned a good lesson.

Yes I am a architect but this is my first experience in dealing with materials from a buyer point of view.

Comment

Why not try Marvin Integrity.

Same mfg, different material, a little overkill for a shed but they are great windows.

Comment

Yes, there's definitely a price gap between a PVC unit and a Marvin. That's an expensive lesson. I'd look at Pella's Thermatru line, and Andersen's 200 line. You may be able to get the same (or close) exterior look without going all out inside. As an architect you must know the difference in cost between windows for a custom home and window's for a spec-home, or budget home. Maybe this is why architects like to spec things people can't afford: they don't know they cost more.

Comment

"Maybe this is why architects like to spec things people can't afford: they don't know they cost more."

BINGO!!!!!!!!!
                      You win the price tonight!

I called my architect today (still waiting for him to return my call) I have a large renovation and he will be drawing up the plans/specs etc.. I want to touch base with him and remind him to stay with reality not fantasy land. He is really not bad when it comes to being realistic in his defense but I still have to tell him for my own piece of mind.

I have had architects spec jobs out that were way over the clients head and then they think I am trying to rip them off when I give them the number. Architects should be required to get a full semester of reality pricing.

Comment

Lol.....I see that we dont like architects here.

From my experience working over here, architects have little to do with pricing at all. It's always the GC that prices the items and then the "value engineering" happens.

As I said earlier....lesson learned. I'm using the Integrity line as they're about $200 more than the Pella. I'm still trying to get a price for Andersen as I know they will be cheaper.

The term shed is a bit misleading here. This unit is essentially a self contained room out in the yard. It's a studio not for storing the lawn mower.

Comment

Don't get me started on the 'architect thing'. I swore off trying to understand them when was first involved on a job where the 'archie' consistently spec'd spans throughout so as to give largest amount of waste tails on the ground. Oh, he finally said when on job site, I didn't know framing lumber only came in multiples of two feet. His spec's were almost always for 2 to 4 inches more than the even multiples, e.g. 12'2"....lol.............steve
                          When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.
                          Desiderius Erasmus

Comment

Patrick,
                            Are you giving your clients an allowance for a baseline structure or are these structures completely custom and unique?

Comment

It would behoove you to call a lumber yard or a window supplier that sells many different lines to ask them what they would consider to be a high, middle or low end window. This way, you'll have a better understanding of what you're specifying and you'll be specifying a product that will be available from local businesses.

EDIT: When I looked at the thread title and seen MFR's, I thought this would be a complaint thread!
                              Your guy lost. Get over it.

Comment

Working...
                              X