Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Sealing New Cedar Shingle Siding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealing New Cedar Shingle Siding

The client really wants to preserve that new cedar look and avoid mildew and staining. Any suggestions on clear products that seal and protect but don't change the natural color? I'd thought about deck sealing products but wondered if there is something better.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Sealing New Cedar Shingle Siding

Oil based transparent stain. Olympic, or a zillion other manufacturers

Comment

We're doing a job now, cedar siding with Cabot #3000 Clear Solutions "Natural" oil stain. It is lightly pigmented and adds a bit of nice reddish-brown tint to the material, but it looks just like cedar should with a coat of clear finish on it, IMO.
      Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
      Website - Facebook

Comment

Thanks for the responses. They really want something that doesn't look like it has a finish on it. So it definitely has to be a clear stain or something that soaks in versus sitting on top.

Comment

NW:

I had an architect ask me if it could be done in the 50s, I said no, you would never keep them looking new. I asked another architect and he blew a gasket: A Berkeley Brown Shingle should turn dark, what sacrilege to want to prevent them from the natural aging process, the Reverend Worcester, Julia Morgan. and Bernard Maybeck are turning in their graves at the very thought of preserving the new look.
          Originally posted by Rev. Worcester
          An amateur architect, Joseph Worcester is known for a rustic, brown shingle-style, a reaction to the ornateness of the Victorian period. His own home in Piedmont was the earliest shingle-style house in the Bay Area. Professionally, he was a minister of the Swedenborgian Church, now the Church of Little Jerusalem, at 2107 Lyon Street. He developed the techniques of wrapping shingles around corners and filling every nook and cranny. He designed the Marshall Houses, built in 1888 at 1032, 1034, and 1036 Vallejo, and his own modest residence at 1030 Vallejo. Today, only 1034 and 1036 are standing. These are the oldest shingle-style houses remaining in the Bay Area. They began the "country-in-the-city" feeling on Russian Hill. The First Bay Area Tradition style evolved from the work of Worcester. In addition to his design work, he was a spiritual and intellectual leader on Russian Hill. His cottage was constantly filled with parishioners, architects, artists, writers, and others known as the Worcester Group.
          When I lived in Piedmont I passed the original Worcester brown shingle on a daily basis (although the first ones were large redwood shingles), now we have people wanting their shingles immediately aged, their copper patinized, etc.
          "The only communists left in the world are in American Universities."

--Mikhail Gorbachev

Comment

Amen. The natural aged beauty look was the first thing I mentioned. Client is always right though...

Comment

Some stains add that weathered grey patina, then seal things up so the weathering slows down.

Trouble with transparent stains is that they provide little UV protection, so the shingles develop feathery top surfaces on the sunny sides of houses. You need to re-stain every few years, too.

Cedar and redwood shakes used to last so long because they were a) old growth material and b) about a foot thick

Hang them up once, do nothing, let them deteriorate in the weather, replace them after a century.

More-precisely, 89 years on southern exposures in southern latitudes. I was the owner of a 1911 Craftsman in Pasadena when that event came to pass. Other elevations were still going strong.

Nowadays, shingles and shakes need our help to keep on keepin' on.

Comment

A few thoughts on this sunday eve....

the Reverend Worcester, Julia Morgan. and Bernard Maybeck are turning brown,maybe gray, in their graves at the very thought of preserving the new look.
                I thought Julia did more stucco than shingles.

Most of my customers want their new, beautiful and expensive shingles to remain spotless.

The good thing about "clear" oil stain is that the tannins blend in nicely so the customer doesn't notice.

Also, from what I've seen, there were plenty of a) #2 grade shingles being applied 89 yrs that have held up due to wonderfulness of red cedar and b) I'm still getting tight, vertical grain shingles (can't call 'em "Old Growth" anymore - customers get upset)

My pre-stainer won't use Cabots anymore.

"feathery"?

Comment

Check with the state dept of parks, or even the national parks dept.

They use a very long lasting perservative on old historic buildings, Ghost towns, etc.. that preserves the wood without changing the characteristics.

Maybe worth the time checking into.

Comment

IMO Clear finish, and none graying can not be used in the same sentence. Wood is always tryng to return back to the earth as dirt! If you do not protect it will get there quicker. If they insist on a truly clear, Wolman makes a clear with a supposedly uv inhibitor, and a mildicide. Dip tank the shakes and re-coat every year. Miss once and it will be to late.
                    Show them some samples with a semi-transparent cedar tone stain. It's been my experience everyones idea of "natural" is different.

Oh in case I was not clear, I think a truly clear finish is a mistake...LOL
                    http://www.jpiercecarpentry.com

Comment

There was a product that I used many years ago called CWF on cedar. It did darken the shingles slightly, but did a great job keeping them looking new for 30 years. I does need a recoat every few years to be effective. See if it is still available and do a test for the client.
                      Thanks
                      Dick Owen

Comment

Working...
                      X