Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default internet explorer closes on its own

when ever I use internet explore 90% of the time it would close on its own has anybody encounter this problem b4?
    I tried reinstalling, and it didnt help I appreciate any help I can get.

Default Re: internet explorer closes on its own

Reinstalling won't do you much good, there really isn't a way to uninstall IE, it's a core process and is required to operate windows. I don't know how to help you, I gave up IE long ago. I would, however, love to offer a suggestion. I personally use Firefox as my internet browser, but there are plenty to choose from that are far more secure than IE, and most websites nowadays are designed with other browsers in mind. There is also Opera, which is a nice, very clean looking browser, and Netscape. I get far fewer pop-ups using FF, and far fewer issues. Plus, if a third party browser screws up, you can uninstall it and reinstall a fresh copy. Not to mention the tons of plug-ins available for third party browsers.
    Last edited by jumpenjuhosaphat; 09-21-2007 at 05:43 PM.

Typically, sudden death for IE -- 'We're sorry, IE is f'ed up and needs to close...." etc.... is caused by rogue add-ons or conflicts between add-ons. These can be any or all of the following, in any combination....

- Browser Hijackers and KeyLoggers (really bad stuff)
    - Malware BHOs (Browser Helper Objects) - other junk you pick up as spyware.
    - Legit BHOs - the Google or Yahoo Toolbar features for example
    - ActiveX controls (signed or unsigned)
    - COM objects such as Adobe Acrobat or ACT! integration for example
    - Any other add-in.

Re-installing IE won't fix it, because the other add-ons don't change when you re-install IE

You didn't say what version you were using, so these instructions are for IE 7.

First scan your machine to get it as clean as you can from the bad stuff. The easiest is http://housecall.trendmicro.com - do the complete online scan and let it fix anything it finds.

If you know what you're doing, you can also download and run HiJack This - but you have to learn how to deal with the log file, disable stuff it finds, etc. The volunteers at www.castlecops.com can help you with this.

IE7 makes it pretty easy to manage add-ons.

In IE7, you can then go to TOOLS-->Manage Add-ons -->Enable or Disable Add-ons. Start with the "Add-ons that have been used with IE" setting, which will give you a longer list. For this one, I'd disable _everything_ , re-boot, and see how it does. If it runs without crashing, you can start re-enabling things until you find the culprit.

If you find the culprit in this way - you can then uninstall the underlying software... or update it.... and try again. Example - the most recent version of Acrobat's add-in might work fine... but one release back might crash you. Or... the other way around. Often, an automatic update to something is what starts the crashing (which is why I hate any automatic updaters) - and since it happens in the background or at night, you can't pinpoint when it started.

If you are using IE6 - I'd upgrade it, but if you want to stay on 6, as I remember the add-in manager is found in HELP-->About IE-->

Note that it is often a combination of add-ons, no one particular one, that will cause the crash. In other words, A+B will work fine.... B+C will work fine.... A+C will work fine.....BUT... A+B+C will crash. That's why in this case I'd disable everything and start over - otherwise you're looking for a needle in a haystack.

If you can pinpoint when it started happening, you might also be able to load a system restore point which might take you back in time - the only problem with XP System restore is it affects only system files and etc - it won't really roll back an installation of something.

Hope that helps
    JLS

PS - This is why I (still) recommend using something more robust like GoBack if you can find it. Unfortunately, development has stopped and it was never updated to support Vista. I'm not sure Symantec is even selling it anymore, although you may be able to find a copy at Staples, etc. GoBack gives you an absolute roll-back, which you can then add "files from the future" back in. It was one of the most useful utilities ever developed for small businesspeople trying to keep a computer running. If anyone knows of a vista-capable alternative, please post it.
    =====================================
    ((Planning + Process) x Technology) = SUCCESS!

Joe Stoddard
    Mountain Consulting Group, LLC
    Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/moucon

How can we help you achieve your goals?
    ====================================

Thank you, that was really helpful and we almost got there but in the end a dvx or something video kept shutting us down. Windows also had a step by step fix on there site which did the same thing.

We since kinda got use to mozilla but we would still like to know if we can transfer our favorites from internet explorer to mozilla if anyone knows a way to try that!

FireFox should give you the option to import your favorites from IE when you first install it. If you already have it, and it's just collecting cyber dust on your desktop, try reinstalling it and you should be able to import it.
    Your guy lost. Get over it.

No need to re-install.